“Interesting items from Popular Criminals”

National Museum of Crime & Punishment
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I liked this museum because I could recognize the names and faces. Some of it was a little too detailed or gruesome to take kids to, but an interesting history of past criminals.

They spoke about Al Capone, John Dilinger, John Gacy, Ted Bundy, etc etc.

1  Thank grace5942
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Thank you for your review! There is a lot of history to explore throughout the museum - I am so glad that you enjoyed it! We hope you will visit us again! :-)

All reviews
in 82 reviews
"scenes"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is a great museum. There is a lot to read, so it might not be good for young children. Go when it's not crowded. It took about 15 minutes for us to enter because of the crowd. You can get coupons online. Groupon had one that was half off in December. There is a lot of information to take in, but the visuals help. They also have a CSI lab which you can sign up for.

2  Thank nahearn
CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Thank you so much for your great review. While you may not think this is a great place for young children we have a whole course of questions and answers for small children throughout the museum that talk about safety. We constantly see parents engaged with their children as they go through the Museum and answer these questions. Our CSI Labs are also great and hands on! We always have public workshops on Saturday and Sunday. This summer we will also run them throughout the week. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Thanks to Tripadvisor, I added this new museum to our list of Spring Break stops. We went to see the Spy Museum last year, and our boys (ages 7, 10 and 13) didn't really like that museum much...much to my surprise. But they LOVED the Museum of Crime and Punishment, from which I had to drag them after 2.5 hours of visiting. It's incredibly interactive and very interesting. The displays are great. Not too much information, but enough to provide the essence for that particular section, which ranges from middle ages to modern day. The boys especially liked the shooting the guns in the wild west section, "cracking the safe," standing in a line up and escaping from prison, and driving the simulated police vehicle. We purchased the extra "solve the crime" book for $7, which kept all of us engaged and searching for answers in each section...definitely would suggest this if you have a wide age range, as we did, as it kept even the little guy involved. First class family attraction...a bit weird, may appeal more to boys, but this mom really loved it and loved how much fun the guys had while there. I wish more museums offered such a consistent, interesting and interactive experience like the Museum of Crime and Punishment!

1  Thank NorfolkMom

Thank you for highlighting our Top Detective Challenge Workbook. I love that book and the kids love it too! I also liked your comment about the Museum being more for boys. Did you know that girls are really taking over Forensic Science! It is just awesome to see all kids coming here and having a great time. We hope they will leave with a greater appreciation for law enforcement and science. I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate it!

Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was very disappointed with my recent trip to this museum. The spelling and grammar errors were so abundant that I lost interest in reading the information. Sadly, it became a game to me and my friend to find the errors. It seemed that almost every plaque had at least one error, if not many. I will not recommend this museum to family and friends.

1  Thank Michelle C

We are in the process of fixing the errors and updating information that has date specific items, so please be patient with us. The day we opened our doors we immediately filed a law suit against our design firm responsible for the errors found within our reading panels. Unfortunately, this is a very time consuming process. If you saw something that specifically stands out that you want to send in directly to us, please do!