“Bugs and filth!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alabaster
Hoover, al
“Bugs and filth!”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Place is pretty new and looks nice when you first get there, but don't be fooled. Several kinds of bugs evident in several rooms (I moved rooms to try to find a clean and bug-free one). Couldn't swear to bedbugs but I was bitten and managed to kill a bug IN the bed, which seemed to match up with pictures on the internet. There were some black smudges on side of mattress as well, consistent with bedbug feces. General insect filth about in all rooms, as well as live ones of various kinds, and quite possibly bedbugs. Hair and skin and bugs left in the sheets. Yuck. I'll think twice before I try to save a few bucks on this kind of place. I left and complained to management but was never offered an apology or a refund or anything. They seemed generally a bit clueless as well as complacent. Sickening.

Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank Dave W
CandlewoodAlabaster, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alabaster, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
I’m sorry for the poor experience had at the Candlewood Suites Alabaster. As anyone can see from the additional reviews, no one else has experienced anything similar to what is described here and this perception isn’t the norm. This Candlewood Suites is consistently ranked in the top 5-10% of all Candlewoods in the country based on numerous surveys conducted by the parent company, Holiday Inn.

The reviewer stayed in 3 rooms over the course of six nights. Twice he requested to move and he used a flashlight and magnifying glass to examine and approve the rooms prior to us happily moving him. He did tell us at the time that he had seen bugs in two of the rooms. Besides our inspection, we had our 3rd party pest control company look at all three rooms and verify that there was absolutely no evidence of bedbugs and that the pest noticed by the reviewer was a “water bug.” The reviewer left one for us in a baggy at the desk upon checking out. When seasons begin to change in the Deep South insects and bugs generally get worse inside and outside. It is a challenge faced by all homes and businesses multiple times every year. We at the hotel face the same challenge and have enlisted a pest control company that aggressively helps us out to keep anyone from noticing the increase in pests.

The reviewer left and called back nearly two weeks after to discuss the problems. I stated to him that we had our professional pest control company look at the rooms besides our in-house inspection. Because there were no problems with bed bugs and that he wasn’t at the hotel any longer, we left the conversation at that. Since then, the reviewer has created accounts and posted this review and a review in Google –both under an assumed name - to post his grievances. At the hotel, we truly believe we did what was needed to make the guest happy – including letting him inspect the additional rooms with the flashlight and magnifying glass - and unfortunately he wasn’t happy at the end of his stay. We have won awards for all of the things we do right. Sometimes, someone has a real or perceived notion that we didn’t give 100% in service or quality and we apologize for that.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Central Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 July 2011

This place is AWESOME! Stayed here while my daughter was attending Region III ODP Camp at Montevallo University and.

The hotel itself is white glove clean, the staff is friendly and accomodating and just top notch!

Loved haveing the mini kitchen in the room great after a long hot day out at the soccer fields to just come back and get a movie from downstairs open up my fridge and get something to eat!

Room Tip: I booked direclty on the hotel website and got a great room at a great rate in the middle of summer.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SoccermommaAmie
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 31 January 2011

This is your best bet for staying in the Birmingham area! We stayed here a full week and got an even cheaper than normal weekly rate. The location is great, off I65, 30 minutes from the heart of Birmingham. It's on a hill above a shopping complex with a variety of stores and restaurants, both chain and local, like Chick-fil-A, Moe's, a chinese place, a bar and grill, Full Moon BBQ, Wal-Mart, Books A Million to name a few, and across the street is another new shopping area with even more stores and more restaurants!

This Candlewood has the largest, most extensive DVD library we've ever seen. They have brand new releases...It's better than a Redbox! The hotel is fairly new and nicely maintained. My only complaint would be that the internet is pretty slow.

Kudos to the great manager, Matt!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 October 2010

First, I must say that our hotel room was like an efficiency apartment and was definitely nicer than my own first apartment. The hotel provides you with a full kitchen and just enough dishes, pots and pans, etc. to accommodate 2 people. The full bathroom cabinet and iron were also awesome.
I had enough room and hangers that I was able to unpack our suitcase completely and did not have to live out of it.
I also had a special request that the staff and the general manager graciously helped me with. We were flying down from PA to be in a wedding and so I FedEx'd our dress clothes and shoes. They easily accepted the package for me and stored it for our arrival, a week later. I brought a prepaid return label and they held the package until FedEx came again to pick it up the day after we left.
The only downsides were: we had to get an extra pillow; I found the towels rough/scratchy; there was no ice machine and I needed ice to treat a migraine (I ended up discovering the ice-maker in the freezer later).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 12 August 2010

This hotel was VERY accomadating to every need! Matt Graves, the General Manager, was very proactive in my requests for tours, pricing etc. before I began my stay. During my stay I witnessed proffesional kind and friendly staff all 24 hours in the day. The rooms have EVERYTHING you need except food and other necessties which can be found literally down the hill at Alabaster's Wal-mart. The rooms have NEW and updated appliances such as Full size refridgerators and entertainment such as LCD TV's and DVD players. The FREE laundry mat and GYM was a GREAT plus too. Also Internet availability was outstanding! Mr. Graves is more than willing to work with you in terms of rates etc. so just ask him. I would recommend this hotel to anyone! I was very pleased!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Houston
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Very nice, new, clean hotel. A lot of room and amenities for the money. Kids loved the "candlewood cupboard" for drinks and snacks. The room was quiet and the bed slept wonderfully , however, I was aware of parking lot noise even 5 floors up. In spite of that, i would most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Northport, Alabama
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We moved from the Nashville Tn area to Alabama due to work. This location was more than what we expected! Thank you goes out to the staff especially John. They all made my family feel at home. It is stressful enough relocating a family due to work. This location in Alabaster was excellent and we will always look when traveling for a Candlewood Suites. My only complaint is I didn't see a way of praising them on their corporate website.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alabaster
0.0 km away
11.2 km away
Best Western Plus Oak Mountain Inn
13.4 km away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover

Been to Candlewood Suites Alabaster? Share your experiences!