“Delicious and generous portions”

The Original Pancake House
Ranked #3 of 87 Restaurants in Aliso Viejo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 18, 2017 via mobile

We had three omelettes and pancakes plates..every thing was well served, delicious, well cooked...yummy...fun breakfast place....full of old people at the time we went and then we were full all day...huge breakfast..can easily be shared...

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed October 24, 2017 via mobile

Have been going here for years...this place is the absolute best for breakfast anytime of day...you have to try their Dutch babies...absolutely amazing...and all their menu choices are the best...i must admit their eggs for some hidden reason are the best!! Love their omelettes...You have to try their eggs and their Dutch babies...cannot be beat

.small wonder this place always has a line outside it's doors...7 days a week

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed September 16, 2017

With all of the choices for Breakfast one has in South O.C. I must include The Original Pancake House for its unique menu items, tasteful quality offerings, and excellent all around service. It is located in a little shopping center between Oso Parkway & the 73 Toll Road. Although technically in the Aliso Viejo Zip code, for first timers visiting here, it is near the Nellie Gail Ranch area of Laguna Hills. If you visit on a Saturday or Sunday morning, a wait of 45 minutes to an hour is not unusual. Even week days bring in a steady crowd. They do not take reservations, so if you have a large group meeting for breakfast, they only seat you when everybody is here.

The recently remodeled interior now has many multiple booths configured in the center with a few larger ones on the wall that can seat 8-10, a welcome change from the rows of small "tippy" tables that were a little too claustrophobic for me. A few of these are still scattered around to fill in space. The interior is bright, and the conversation level is on the louder side. The foyer is a little cramped with a counter were you pay and the area to wait has one bench to sit inside. They now have those little gizmos so popular with busy restaurants, that buzz and light up to let you know your up. Outside is area with more benches. The sparse decor has some horse racing motif (I think the owners have some historical connection). The restrooms are small but clean.

I have visited this location some 50-60 times in the 27 years I have lived here, and can honestly attest to the consistency of the food served over that time as always being of first rate quality. My usual go to items are the Continental Crepes that is served with "Hot Tropical" syrup that is to die for. Also, the Eggs Michael that may be exclusive to this location since it does not appear on the O.P.H. website menu. An egg & sausage patty with mushroom sherry sauce on an english muffin with super crispy potato pancakes, side of sour cream and applesauce to slather - oh yes!! I have also had the signature Apple Pancake as well, but I recommend it shared among the party as dessert. It is super tasty sweet and may come to the table bubbling hot. Let it cool. The Omelettes are huge, fluffy, and oh so tasty. I prefer the lunch version with chicken and spinach.

As always, it is the little things that make breakfast here great. If you like you bacon super crispy like me, they cook it perfect every time. The Orange Juice they serve tastes better than any place else I've tried period!! I have friends who echo that same opinion. The coffee is good but not spectacular. The German Potatoes are also an exclusive side dish. I order them with onions and well done to give them some more taste, otherwise they are a little bland. Also, If I order any style egg, it is always cooked right the first time-over easy is never over hard-thank you O.P.H.!

The service I have experienced over the years has been top notch, many of the waitstaff has been there awhile, A older German lady was my favorite server in the 90's, she since retired. On the recent morning I was there with a friend, the head hostess was leaving after 20 years. That says something about this place. When I had to remind our waitress once about my orange juice, she immediately brought me a large and only charged me for the smaller size. That is executing service the right way. Yes, when the bill comes it might suprise you. Ala carte items can add up quickly. But this was never meant to be a fast and cheap place to scarf down the first meal of the day. This is where you treat people you love and care about to exeptional food. This is about enjoying life, sharing memories. I have no qualms regarding price here, totally worth it !!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

This is my most favorite place for breakfast. They have the best pancakes, coffee and bacon. Every item we have tried is so good. Excellent service as well.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed June 27, 2017

Having lived in Tennessee my whole life, I know what great breakfast food is supposed to taste like. That said, this place has above average breakfast food for the State in general. Of course, the only places you can get great biscuits in this country is in one of the Southern states but these will suffice. I wouldn't put any trust in the gravy whatsoever but that's not what I expect when I travel anyway. Even at home, you don't get great gravy at chain restaurants. All that said, I was very impressed with this restaurant, especially with their pancakes and waffles. I prefer my bacon very well done, almost burnt and crispy and almost no one in California prepares bacon this way but all in all, I would recommend this place to anyone traveling who needs a bit of a country breakfast fix. It won't please people with the highest of expectations but It will nourish the soul and remind you of home.

Date of visit: May 2017