“Love this place”

Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Colorado
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have stayed here 4 times during the last 6 times I have been to Anaheim. My husband and I will be visiting end of February. I have always had a pleasant experience here. Lovely front desk people. The women who works in the gift shop is a hoot and a half. Nice rooms and great pool/jacuzzi area. The only negative I have is the distance from Disneyland and anything else really. There is a nice sized Gas station about half a mile away that you could walk to to get better priced snacks and what not. Really enjoyable hotel.

2 Thank teresabutts1
PamWiebe, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear teresabutts1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We're so glad you find our property to be to your liking and it's nice to hear that we are you hotel of choice when you are in Anaheim. Thank you also, for you kind remarks regarding our Front Desk staff. They work very hard to meet and exceed our guests' expectations; we're very happy to know they succeeded in your case. Yes, out gift shop lady is a hoot!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Martinez, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

The first time I stayed here was in 2008. The hotel was fairly new. I don't really remember too much about it, but I remember both my husband and I thought it was pretty nice. It has a restaurant, a pool, and a workout area. There is plenty of parking and they don't charge you to park, which I'm sure you know is rare for a hotel near DL. Like I said in the post above, it really is not within walking distance, unless you don't mind a LONG walk. I'd say in the morning it would probably be ok, but at night it would be a long haul. It's somewhat strange to get out of the hotel, because you can only go one way. It makes for a round about way to get to Disneyland.

Fast forward to December 2011. We stayed here for one night, and boy was I glad it was only one night! The hotel had significantly gone down hill since our last stay. Check in was quick and easy, and it was nice that parking was free. The staff was really friendly too. We had a room at the back of the hotel and the noise from outside wasn't bad at all, considering they are building a huge roadway right next door. But, the noise from inside the hotel was LOUD. Really Loud. You could hear everyone's door slam (and they had a spring that made them shut like that). You could hear people talking. It was loud, even with our sound machine on. Plus, the room we were given had an adjoining door, so we could hear our neighbors loud and clear. You could tell when the park closed and everyone came back. I actually felt really bad for our neighbors because our kids get up early and despite our many warnings the kids were not quiet (too excited to go to the park!). We found hair on the pillows that was not ours (gross!!) and hair in the shower too. Shower is a little more understandable then the pillows. Made us wonder if they replaced the linens from the previous guest. The room had a large size mini fridge and a microwave which was great. But a tiny little closet, so we had to use the table, chairs, and floor for our luggage. The heater worked, but was super loud and made a strange noise that sounded like it would break at any moment. We never tried out the restaurant. The pool looked nice and fairly large. My husband tied out the work out room and thought it was good. We booked this hotel using hotwire. I'm glad we didn't pay full price, or I would have been pretty upset. I would not stay here again. For the money I think we could have gotten a nicer and closer hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank c_miles2008
PamWiebe, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear c_miles2008,

Well, it sounds like your visit here was quite the mixed bag. I certainly apologize for the hairs you found in your room. This really isn't acceptable and I will pass this information on to our Executive Housekeeper so she can discuss this with her entire staff. I am also sorry that your experience was so noisy. Often times if the room you end up in is unfavorable, you can contact the front desk to be moved. I realize this may be an inconvenience, but it might be worth it for a quieter room. It sounds like there were some positives; free parking, your husband like the fitness center, staff was friendly and a few other things were mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor; we always want to hear about our guests' experiences, both the good and the bad.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Unfortunately, Disneyland was infested with motorcoach lodges in the parks early days. Because of this, to stay in a proper hotel you need to venture out away from the resort with a few exceptions. I lucked out with this hotel as my 3 star pick on hotwire. I paid $80 inclusive of taxes which was a bargain considering the run down motor inns accross the street from Disneyland were charging $129 base rate.

This is the resort leg of the brand, which really is not a true resort but still very nice. Upon check in I was greeted by a cheerful front desk agent who allowed us to check in at 1PM. Our room was right outside the elevator so I was a bit worried, but this did not end up a problem. I opened the door and before me was a suprisingly large room. My room had a large King bed with a chair and ottoman. The bathroom was large and spacious. The shower head was of the upgraded variety and water pressure was good. The bathroom amenities were bath and body works which was a nice touch. The TV was the old box tube, but really did not care as I was not there to watch TV. I did not try the restaurant, but kids did eat free there.

The real only con was that you had to pay to use the city bus rather than the hotel provided shuttle many properties have. This con was negated a bit as the hotel had a nice stop within the resort. I saw other hotels have their guests wait on the street. The cost was $4 per person per day.

I would more than likely stay here again if the price was right and I was unable to find a comparable hotel with a free shuttle.

1 Thank Nightro
Dear Nightro,

Thank you for your kind words on TripAdvisor. Since we are a part of the"Resort" area in Anaheim, the city has the responsibility of providing the shuttle service, and I know that it isn't always very convenient. It does sound like the rest of your visit was positive. We try very hard to make sure our guests' needs are met, and we're happy that was the case for you. We appreciate your taking the time to put your comments on TripAdvisor.
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I read some of the other reviews and was worried about this hotel. I have to tell you that everything was really good staying at this Holiday Inn. The rooms were clean and comfortable. However it would have been nice to having a Queen bed as we have King bed at home ,so having a double bed was a little small. Especially we had both of our boys in bed (2 and 5) with us one night as our five year old fell out of the bunk and got hurt and woke everyone up. We then also used the ironing board to build up the safety rail to ensure he does not fall out again.

The kids bunks are located in the same room. We thought (from the pictures) the kids bunks were in a separate room; they are not. They are in the same room, without a door, but blocked off from the main area.

Housekeeping did a good job of cleaning our room and found it to be tidy on our return from Disney.

We drove to Disney the first day so we did not need to worry about the walk. However the following days we walked. I read some reviews, which said it was a little far to walk, but we had no problems with the walk and really enjoyed it.

We had plenty of HOT water and pressure for showers or baths. We utilized the fridge and stocked it from Target! We also picked up a $7 dollar toaster which we just left behind. It was great to toast our bagels in the morning. They did also include a coffee maker in the room.

Make sure you let them know you are a priority club member and they give you a different set of room keys which offer 10% off at the restaurant.

We utilized the hot tub almost everything night but we were never around the hotel during the day to use the pool as I don’t think it was heated.

We had no issue finding this hotel from the LAX airport and this was our first time driving here.

We would stay here again.

4 Thank Sheldon P
Dear piecowye,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate your commenting on some of the things you had read in other reviews and then noting your experiences. We all try very hard to meet and hopefully exceed our guests expectations and it sounds like we did in your case. I'm so sorry your son fell out of the bunk bed! I hope he is okay.
Thanks again for your kind words.
Red Deer Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I'm currently staying at this hotel, this is our fifth night of a 6 night stay here. My wife and I are experienced travellers in the Orange County area, and have been fortunate to visit annually for the last 6 years. We have stayed at many of the resorts, including all of the Disney hotels. Obviously when we booked a Holiday Inn we were not expecting a Disney resort - we went on a budget this year, and are not hotel snobs. We booked this trip through Westjet and the price was right, we figured that we could live without the convenience of being right on the Disney property - here are my thoughts:

Location: Brutal. You are sandwiched between the interstate highway (LOUD) and a lovely little trailer park. To be fair, the trailer park is fine and was not loud at all. I wish I could say the same for the ridiculous construction outside. They are currently building a road about 50 feet from the hotel, and last night they decided to work right through the night. I honestly haven't slept more than a couple of hours since we arrived. It's just about 1am as I write this, and if you scroll down to see how long this review is, it's that way because I can't sleep!!! Now I realize that this isn't entirely the hotel's fault - but it sure isn't mine. Between both Westjet and the hotel there was absolutely no warning about this construction, and it's a real pain. Beyond this, the other thing to note is that you are a LONG distance from the park. We are both avid hikers in good shape, it was our intention to walk back and forth to the park - if that's your plan, forget it now. If you're looking for a reasonably priced property close to the hotel, look at the Howard Johnson or either of the Best Westerns that are directly across the street from the park. It's worth the extra dough. There is a reasonably priced shuttle back and forth to the park, but it's a pain and you're on someone else's schedule. Parking at the park is a rip off of epic proportions and you'll still end up with a shuttle ride or a long walk - please don't make that mistake (we did this time).

Service: Staff seem generally pleasant. The lady running the gift shop has a great sense of humour and personality. Check in was quick, housekeeping is adequate at best - we asked for a couple of flat pillows and that the batteries be changed in the thermostat as they are dead and we can't adjust the temp. Neither of these happened, though they obviously got the notes as we received a bunch of extra pillows (just not the flat ones we asked for - read on if you care). We did not eat at the restaurant but spoke with a couple at the resort transit pickup that said the service was really good but the food was awful. Take that with a grain of salt.

Rooms: Adequate. Lower your expectations now and you'll be okay here. It's your run of the mill 2 star room. I'll admit right off the bat that I'm bitter about our room because it's located right across from the elevator and right next to the construction - noise noise noise. Tube TV? Yep... didn't even think they still made these! AC is cold and works, though our thermostat ran out of juice and housekeeping didn't replace despite the request. I didn't bother to call the front desk about it, so I guess I'm as much to blame. I felt that the rooms were not very clean, and while it's certainly a matter of personal opinion I do expect that my room is vacuumed all around, not just the main traffic areas. I also expect that bathrooms are properly maintained. The showerhead leaks quite badly which leads to water all over the bathroom floor, the caulking around the tub has a huge gap in it which had obviously had mould cleaned out of it on multiple occasions (why not just fix it the first time?). Towels were good the first few days but I think today someone's gum ended up in the wash load. There are a bunch of little blue chunks that are intertwined with hair ground into the towels - GROSS. Our room did not have any bugs (I checked in great detail) despite others claiming bed bugs. I'd suggest that the hotel give their rooms a hard look. An inexpensive minor renovation would do these rooms a world of good and likely avoid negative reviews.

The bottom line: If you are planning to stay here, then you are probably looking at value for money. The price is definitely right, but before you make the decision to stay here consider that there are SO many options in the area for just slightly more money that offer substantially more value. If you stay here, plan to deal with the noise. If you're a little less like me (I have no desire to deal with confrontational issues when I'm on vacation - I don't complain) then you can probably argue your way into a better room. The family we're here with are staying at the "Homewood Suites by Hilton", which is pretty middle of the road but includes both breakfast and dinner (a rarity around here). We wish we would have stayed here instead.

Here's some parting advice from our years of experience in the area:

If you can swing the extra cash, staying at a Disney Resort is worth it. Consider the cost of your time taking shuttles back and forth, the convenience of being able to return to your room whenever you want quickly (wet clothes after splash mountain, tired kiddies, lunch that doesn't cost a limb, etc.) and suddenly the Walt Disney tax doesn't seem quite as hard to swallow. We recommend the Paradise Pier hotel, it's just a quick walk through the Grand Californian to use the private guest entrance, and while the hotel is pretty average it does have that extra Disney touch and level of service. We spent a few nights at the Grand Californian during our Honeymoon - it was great, super comfy beds, fantastic view and service, but the bill was tough to swallow and I don't think I'd recommend it over Paradise Pier. If this is going to be a one time thing for your family, wait a little longer and save a little extra to stay on property.

If you can't swing the extra cash (who can right now!?) then consider properties like the Howard Johnson or Best Western main gate, they are just as close as paradise pier. I haven't personally stayed at either, but the reviews on here seem positive and I can confirm the location is excellent. Avoid the Hotel Menage, especially if you have kids - it's party central and the rooms are a joke. If you are looking to do things other than Disney and want a reasonably priced hotel that has a shuttle and fantastic service consider the Double Tree hotel next to "The Block" at Orange. We've stayed there twice and both times we were treated like royalty, as were the kids travelling with us. These guys know what service is all about. The rooms are nothing special (or weren't at last visit) but they know what counts - good quality beds and bedding and very clean. Room service was deadly good as well.

With regards to food: Eating at the park is expensive and the food sucks. Carrying a backpack with a picnic is your best bet, but that's a pain when you're already on your feet all day (we logged over 30000 steps at the park yesterday). Downtown Disney presents some good options that are still expensive but miles apart from the crap they serve in the park. Naples (Pizza, Pasta, and "Authentic" Italian) is seriously excellent and our waiter was a wealth of information. Rainforest cafe is fun, and if you have kids (or just want to get really drunk on free poured rum drinks in flashy glasses) it's probably worth a stop. Don't expect to get out of there for under $200 with drinks for a family of four. We prefer to leave the park and get away from the tourist traps - everything at Disney, the Garden Walk, or right near the park is overpriced and mass produced. Anaheim has a plethora of excellent restaurants if you are willing to leave the resort area and think outside of the box. They've got some of the best Mexican food in the country here and I haven't found a bad meal yet at any hole in the wall place around OC. Careful, some areas look a bit sketchy. There's also several great Thai and Peruvian joints as well as great local fresh seafood in the area should your body get tired of greasy grub.

In the park we love the Dole Pineapple Whips and the Dill Pickles. The turkey legs look tempting but are disgusting (IMHO). If you're into Mint (and I am!) the Juleps are good and the Beignets while nothing like the real deal are still really good. I've avoided most of the sweets on main street, but if you've got a sweet tooth then they've got you covered and it all looks really good. The coffee shop on main also has free refills all day.

Finally, if shopping is your thing I'd suggest "The Block" at Orange and "South Coast Plaza" in Costa Mesa (15 minute drive). The Block has loads of outlet stores in a nice outdoor atmosphere, as well as a bunch of good eats and entertainment. South Coast Plaza is a bit of a hike (you'll need a car) but they have great stores and restaurants.

Enjoy your time here and consider taking some time away from the parks to enjoy some of the other things in the area. I highly recommend a trip to Santa Monica pier. Walk the beach, enjoy lunch on the promenade, etc. You and your family will love it here, and hopefully some of these tips will help you out. OH! Go see "World of Color" and get your fastpass as early as possible. As many others have said, it's like the Bellagio fountains on Acid. It totally blew my mind.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the side facing the trailer park. It's an ugly view, but once the construction is...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank tehsteve
Beausejour
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

Rooms are nice. Queen size beds would have been nice though when having 3 in a room. Not comfortable sharing a double bed with teenaged kids. Didn't want to squeeze in a cot for $15/ night for a week. Great access to Disney transit system. Breaks at buffet was unimpressive. Wished we figured out that breakfast at Disney was better and cheaper earlier on before dropping $35 every morning ordering off the menu. Good size bathrooms. Would have liked to been able to open the room windows to let in fresh air.

• Stayed January 2012
PamWiebe, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear incu,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. Our entire staff makes every effort to ensure that our guests' expectations are met or hopefully even exceeded. I apologize that we did not succeed in your case.
Big Lake, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

This property is wedged between construction, a trailer park and the freeway. Don't expect any attractive grounds. The rooms are adequate. Mine overlooked the scenic trailer park, but was away from the freeway noise. Room seemed clean and the TV and internet worked fine. Bathroom was stocked with standard HI amenities. Shower was a strange walkin shower with no curtain or door. There was plenty of pressure and hot water which is always good.
There were a couple of things that need improvement. First, there is no business center. Not business traveler friendly. There are two computersand printers in the lobby you can use for a charge using a credit card. Sedond is the restauant which smelled like last nights buffalo wing special...an unpleasent stale odor which made the restauant seem dirty. Breakfast was not a value at $9.95 for three eggs, two strips of bacon, three half pieces of toast and coffee. Really? Overall you can expect a nights sleep but little else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jonathan F
Dear Triplewin,

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. I'm glad the the hotel itself generally met your expectations and am sorry that you were unhappy with parts of your stay. We do try to make all of our guests' stays enjoyable and are disappointed when we hear that we didn't succeed.