Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
reed bluff
“OK”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

Rooms Okay, cleanliness passable, but not really okay for a baby to crawl on the floor. Beds were very hard, but room was quiet. Heated swimming pool was so cloudy I didn't really think it was safe to swim. The redeemimg factor about this stay was the gentleman, Jeff, at the front desk. He was wonderful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank juscurious2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

Price was reasonable, facilities were clean and basic. The property was older and does need some work in the rooms. Our room was comfortable & roomy, beds were alright- nothing fancy, the decor was older. The carpet near the bathroom entrance needed to be repaired, the carpet nails were showing and would snag our socks when we walked over that area. Also the room door kept making strange noises when closing and would "catch" on the door frame so we actually thought we were stuck INSIDE the room at one point, we just needed to tug on the door harder.
During our stay occupancy was a little low so we were given the option of whether we wanted to be upstairs or down--we chose downstairs. You should know that this property does NOT have elevators so if you have a lot of luggage or don't/can't do stairs be sure to contact the property ahead of time. You can also hear other guests in adjacent rooms if they are yelling, speaking REALLY loudly or slamming doors--but generally speaking it was fairly quiet.
We also chose to walk to dinner, there were several restaurants to choose from. The staff that we did meet was extremely friendly, helpful and polite. Check in/out was very easy. Internet access was good.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Fairfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Myself and my daughter stayed at Hojos for a long weekend. The location was perfect for our tour of the the redwood parks and coast. The staff was amazing! They were extremely helpful in giving directions and recommending dining options and also had some really interesting information about the town and it's history. Our room was on the second floor, no elevator. The room included a coffee maker, micro, and fridge. Hojo's is just down the street from a grocery store, too as well as a diner, The Pantry, and several fast-food choices. They also have an indoor pool which looked like fun but we did not plan on swimming and did not bring suits. Breakfast was great, including cereals, a variety of bagels, breads, and fresh waffles. Juice coffee, tea, and hot chocolate were the drinks to choose from - the best continental breakfast I've experienced. The only down side was the hard pillows, and the building had some issues such as a foot-size hole in the middle of the ceiling in the downstairs hallway. I assume they are in the process of some sort of repairs. Despite being mostly full both nights we were there, it was also very quiet.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
oakland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

Staff was very helpful with local restaurants. Rate was best in town through internet, and most likely this would qualify as a 3 star hotel, the value for accomodations was excellent. In addition, wireless was sufficiently fast for business needs and TV had plenty of cable channels to choose from

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Chaska, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

We had pre-paid for 2 nights (Fri and Sat) on HoJo website--%10 discount so no refund.
We arrived in Arcata at 3:00 a.m. After sleeping on the floor in our sons dorm at Humboldt, we called the hotel at 10:30 a.m. to see what would be the earliest time a room would be ready for check in. The Front Desk checked, and after a minute, said it would be 45 min to an hour. So we dropped by about 11, and said we were comfortable just sitting in the lobby and would wait, read, check e-mail, etc. It was about 15 minutes later, a woman from housekeeping said there was a new policy that the front desk didn't know about, but we would have to pay $10 for check in. She had to move the girls cleaning to hurry and finish our room, and if it's before, we pay $10. I argued that we weren't in a hurry, and were willing to wait to a room was clean, and she was not backing down. So after we picked up our stuff to leave and come back at 2, she said, "well now your room is ready, so you can go in there"...we dropped off our bags and left to spend the day with our son. After returning that evening, checked our bank statement and noticed a $10 fee had already been charged to our account. When I went back to the front desk and complained, he said, "well, she is the owner and can do whatever she wants". He said there was nothing he could do, nor anobody else. He suggested calling Howard Johnson Customer Service. I know $10 isn't something to freak out about, but it's the principle of the matter....The OWNER/MANAGER does not treat the customer like a guest...more like a piece of crap. I want OUT of here...but we're locked in because we pre-paid.

Room Tip: Don't Waste Your Time
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kellijo8910

Travellers are raving about these Arcata hotels

Coalinga, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

I've stayed in town a few times, each time it was a different hotel across the street from the Howard Johnstons. Each previous stay the hotels were okay. I decided to stay at this property only because I noticed a lot of cars in their lot and not many in the two places I stayed before. Also, they are on the other side of the road and thought it might be quieter, which it was.
The hotel was very nice. It was clean and the price I believe was actually a little lower than I had payed before. I really liked their indoor pool, it was freezing outside but the pool and spa were wonderful. I liked it a lot. I normally find the indoor pools very humid and not very pleasant. This just wasn't the case.
I also thought their breakfast was very good. Smelled the waffles in the lobby and followed the aroma to a nicely laid out breakfast with different breads and cereal (I had the waffles!)
I had a good nights sleep, comfortable beds. Internet was not visible at first, but when I found it, it worked well, that is important to me. They also let me know about a program that if I stay with them and a host of others hotels and motels I can get a free nights stay
and their breakfast. Add that to the points I get with my credit card, it sounds great. Stayed in Arcata and ate in Eureka, about 7-8 miles, which had many restaurants. I ended up at their Sizzler. Which was also very good.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank snowballsalesman
Lake Arrowhead
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Typical HoJo but with a very good and responsive staff. Nice included breakfast. Give them a try.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
0.0 km away
Hotel Arcata
#5 of 10 in Arcata
13.6 km away
BEST WESTERN PLUS Humboldt Bay Inn

Been to Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area? Share your experiences!