“Adequate, but Slipping”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Adequate, but Slipping”
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I've stayed at this Howard Johnson's Express a number of times. Unfortunately, it seems to be slipping some in overall quality and maintenance. The internet is incredibly slow and you have to sign in each time after your computer has been to sleep. And, to sign in you have to walk into the hall to get an adequate signal.
The place is clean enough if you don't look behind the nightstand (where you need to look to plug in your laptop). The wood laminate on the bathroom doors and furniture is splintering on the bottom and there appears to be some deferred maintenance throughout. All in all, I was disappointed to see what was once a very nice motel slowly going downhill. Also, I had to push to get them to honor the online rates advertised, after first being advised that they don't apply to this motel.
And the final indignity: They have in-room safes, but charge an additional fee to use them, something I haven't encountered elsewhere.
It wouldn't take too much effort to make the place better, but the owners seem committed to not spending anything not absolutely necessary. Upgrading the internet, eliminating the fee for the in-room safes, and replacing or refinishing the bathroom doors and furniture would be a great improvement.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank yeatswan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
California
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Husband and I stayed for one night, I booked online the day before and with a AAA rate paid $85 (including taxes) for a King bed room with fridge and microwave and coffee maker. It is located in "motel alley" just off Highway 101 but you are not close enough to be bothered by freeway noise. Motel 6 across the road and Hampton Inn next door. We were astonished at check in to find we had to initial a statement that we agreed not to use our room to make/buy/sell marijuana or other drugs in our room....but this is Humboldt County - "growing" country I guess! According to the clerk this is normal practice in Arcata.
The room was clean and adequate, check in was very quick with polite service. We asked for a downstairs room and got it. The swimming pool looked fine but did not try it. Breakfast was usual muffins, bagels, toast, cereal, bananas plus waffle mix to cook your own waffle.
There seemed to be a lot of parents staying who were visiting their offspring at nearby Humboldt State University and apparently it can be very hard to get a room during the busy student times such as beginning of school.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Raoa
Spring, Texas
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Booked a King Size Suite in April for an October reservation. Was informed when arrived no rooms with Suite or King size bed available. Given standard room, but still charged for King Sized Suite. I asked the desk clerk to check with manager why being charged at King Size Suite rate. No response from clerk or manager. I cannot recommend this location.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Arcata hotels

Arcata, California
Reviewed 14 August 2011

It has your standard fare. but man this internet crawls. Is it to much to ask for a webpage to load in a couple of seconds?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Austin
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We visit Arcata 1-3 times per year. We like to stay at this property because [for the type of accommodations) it fits our needs perfectly. It has always been quiet and clean. The staff is friendly and always very accommodating. The pool and hot tub are the big plus. They were clear and sparkly when we were there so I am not sure why a previous review said the water was cloudy. I've never seen it that way. I find the beds to be pretty comfortable. The breakfast is free. I did notice they no longer serve yogurt which saddened me, but I could have bought some at the grocery store next door and put it in the fridge. Having a fridge and microwave is nice -- although we rarely use them. All in all, I think it's a great deal and there are usually some pretty flowers in the parking lot flower beds. It's only minutes away from downtown Arcata and less to Highway 101. I recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I try to choose hotels that do not allow pets because my kids have asthma problems and pet-friendly hotels are not friendly to them! The Howard Johnson's in Arcata is in an area with a bunch of similar hotels, but I think all the others allow pets. The Howard Johnson's usually has a very good price with the ABN discount (better than AAA or AARP discount). This was my second stay at this hotel

I'm dinging it one star because they have no business center with public computers or printers. I asked the desk clerk if I could FAX myself something in order to print something out and he said that it cost $1 a page!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Ventura, CA
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Booked this hotel through direct web site and got a very good AAA price. Room was clean and nice size that included a coffee maker and refrigerator. Staff was friendly and helpfull. Breakfast was adequate and always provided enough for the masses. Pool and spa were clean and water was warm. Nice thing about this hotel is the location because it does not back up to the freeway like so many of the other establishments. Windows open and room was very quiet all 3 nights plus there was plenty of parking. If I come back to visit my Alumni-Humboldt State University- I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
0.1 km away
16.7 km away
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
0.2 km away
Best Western Arcata Inn

Been to Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area? Share your experiences!