“Very nice for the price.”
Review of Hotel Catalina

Hotel Catalina
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We wanted a last minute get away. Most of the Catalina hotels were booked and just very high priced. We found this hotel on the Catalina Express website and got the package that included the boat ride over for two midweek nights for two for $408.00. This was cheap compared to other places. This hotel is like a bed and breakfast place. The room was tiny with a queen bed and tiny bathroom and shower but it was really nicely decorated and comfortable. There is a refrigerator in the room and flat screen TV. They had coffee, tea and doughnuts in the lobby in the morning. They have a microwave that you can use as well as BBQ outside that you can use. They have a bunch of chairs outside to relax and look out at the ocean. They have an outdoor whirlpool and lounge chairs outside. After you checkout they let you use a locker for your luggage so that you can enjoy the rest of your day before taking the boat home.

The hotel does not pick you up at the boat dock so you will need to walk with your luggage or take a taxi. It is a bit of a walk so I would recommend luggage with wheels. The hotel is on a bit of a hill so just be prepared for that. There is no elevator, so you will need to carry your luggage up stairs. We would stay there again.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jkkm0606
There are newer reviews for Hotel Catalina

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Hotel Catalina is located right off Whitley Ave near the center of town, closer to the Casino end. For the middle of peak season, it was a decent place to stay over for the night at a reasonable price. It was also the only hotel I could find on the island that would allow a one night stay and did not require the standard 2-night minimum. It is an older style house but was clean and well kept - nothing fancy - but we enjoyed our stay. They also conveniently have locked stalls in the back where you can keep your bags all day either before check in and/or after you check out which was VERY handy. All in all, a good find for Catalina!

Room Tip: First floor is the noisiest in the morning..
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gdrennen
KrisGLBC, General Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

As of January 2012 we are pleased to announce that the Hotel Catalina is now under New Management. Come visit & experience our New European style Courtyard Garden Wing.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

The bad reviews made me tentative. The good ones gave me hope. I just wanted a place to rest my head after playing on the island all day. I wanted clean, safe, inexpensive, easy and comfortable. And that's exactly what I got at Hotel Catalina!

It's a cozy, old-fashioned well-kept hotel and the experience there was entirely positive. The staff was friendly and helpful--even after I'd checked out. When I told them I was checking out early because I was going hiking, the girl at the front desk told me about the lockers I could use (free of charge) so I didn't have to carry everything while hiking. They even had a shower I could use (for $3) after I returned from my hike!

I would go there again. I would tell everybody to go there. This is the first hotel review I've ever written and I'm doing it because it was just what I wanted!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank elisabeth_everafter
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We commonly stay in five star hotels when we travel. So, as we were aware of all the negative reviews of this hotel, let me tell you about our nice weekend.

We called the night before when all other hotels were full. We were able to get their last room available. The room was clean but it was small as most reviewers iterated. We did not expect a Ritz Carlton or Five star experience. The bathroom was clean and adequate. The bed had a soft top on the mattress so it was really comfortable and we slept well.

The hotel is over one hundred years old so it has historical roots and Catalina charm and ambience. The front desk check-in girl could have been nicer, but the check out person was very sweet.

Overall, this was a decent hotel. The Hamilton Cove condos would be the best place to stay but the prices are triple what we paid.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KEN06_11
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We only stayed a weekend and that was long enough. I understand that the very small rooms and tiny bathrooms are due to the original architecture of the Victorian building, however, I couldn't get over the moldy/mildewy smell throughout the hotel. It was as if some old water damage never got fixed. The shower heads were inexplicably positioned low. I'm pretty short, but I still had to bend down to rinse my hair. Also, get up extra early if you want donuts, which they run out of quickly. I'd advise you to stay somewhere else that actually serves free breakfast and has a decent sized bathroom. It will make your stay in Catalina more enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Justfuntraveler

Reviewed 28 March 2011

I have never had an issue in a hotel that caused us to be "downgraded". Plumbing went out in our room so they placed us in a tiny little box on the third floor without any compensation or apology. AND we had to move all our own things. The second evening, the lights and cable went out and there were not any staff on site, we had to wait for someone to fix it... once again, without an apology.

The free breakfast consists of good coffee and day old donuts. The jacuzzi was FILTHY. NO VIEW, not even from the third floor. I won't even comment on the lack of sleep due to the paper thin walls. You can hear EVERYTHING from the next room- so be cautious. Did I mention that the toilets barely flush? Mold in the shower? Should I mention that when you sit on the toilet, you can stick your feet in the shower as the bathroom is so tiny.

Of course, this could have all been remedied if the staff had been pleasant or gracious at all.

The restuarants they give discounts on DISGUSTUNG with the exception of Mi Casita.

I never give bad reviews or send in complaints, but I had too. Next time, I'm checking out Hotel Metropole or the Pavilion... everyone on the island RAVED about this place.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NotYourAvgBlonde
ManagementHC, Front Office Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2011

We're so sorry that you didn’t have a good experience with us. And we truly apologize for any inconvenient. We would like to let you know that we didn't downgrade you to a small room, but it was upgraded to deluxe mountain room from standard room, and also we opened several rooms to let you choose which one you like best; however, we didn’t know that you weren’t happy with the one that you chose. We wish we could do something more and better for you when you were still here but you didn't let us know when u were still here. Once again, we apologize for all the inconvenient we caused during your stay.

Reviewed 26 January 2011

Although the location is good, I would not recommend this hotel. It is old and dirty. Our room was teeny tiny, and the dirty bathroom was even smaller. There was no water pressure and very loud running water all night which made sleeping almost impossible. The room was really stuffy and hot. Bed was uncomfortable. Staff was less than impressive and not accomodating. Pay a little more and enjoy beautiful Catalina.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Travelgirl1121
ManagementHC, Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2011

Our hotel was established 1892 and the same build and layout as nowadays was rebuild and structured in1912 as a historic Victorian style. Within recent 2 years we have been put a lot of effort and do our best to update our hotel such as changing all the furniture, beds, flat screen TV, repainting rooms, and so on. However, the size of hotel room and bathroom as original 1921 layout wasn’t the project we’re able to redone unless we tear down the building and restructure. We try to keep the historic Victorian style hotel as it was on the Catalina Island and change the part we’re able to update. Also, we try our best to offer a more economic budget hotel for this tough economic time since it’s quite expensive for a couple or a family to visit the Catalina Island nowadays. We apologize any inconvenience and unpleasure experience we caused. We wish we could have done better for you.