See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 8, 2015

I've read the other reviews and have no idea what went wrong for these guests. We are two Australians who frequently travel in the States, and have now stayed at the Grizzly Inn 4 times. Each time the room was perfectly clean, and was excellent value for money, being spacious, two double beds, fridge and microwave, television of course, bathtub. We found it to be amazingly quiet given its proximity to the highway. Matt the desk clerk/ main man is really good fun and will do all he can to help. Similarly the bevy of laundry boys are friendly and helpful.
The room cost us less than $70 US dollars per night. This seemed very cheap to us for what we were getting.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2015

I should've known the way the reception looked like! I had to change the first room simply because it was filthy. Old sheets in both beds and the towels were used hanging in the hooks. The second wasn't any better but since it was so late I stayed...the first night ever I slept in a motel with my clothes on and couldn't wait to leave, didn't even take a coffee in the morning. I have stayed in most bizarre places in my travels, but this was the worst. It seems that the staff is just too fed up with what they have to do, which surely shows and that they just don't bother.....ughhh, never again!!!!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Hannu L
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This place is 'newly renovated' The renovations were half assed and pretty hilarious, they left the linoleum on one wall and painted the other, in the bath, They retiled the tub, but forgot to replace the fixtures which were leaking fairly heavily, They may have also left the old tub surround in place and tiled over it, I couldn't really tell but the tile looked weird. It's pretty much the cheapest place in Alamosa and not worth the price but if you're there that's the option.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darabtrfly
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Grizzly Inn is just your basic, Mom-and-Pop type of motel. It is quite expensive for what it is, BUT...this town is full of places that cost more than they should. Most people who stay here are going to the Great Sand Dunes National Park, and there are limited choices in the area. Hence, the high prices.

I will say that the place was kept clean, there were no bugs and the bed was comfortable enough. The small, old TV had very poor reception. The person was pleasant enough at the desk. Breakfast was OJ out of a machine, self-make waffles and small, wrapped pastries. Nothing special, but okay.

The park is about 25 miles away, and it is spectacular. Don't miss it, either for the dunes or for some great trail hikes and/or camping.

One thing to bear in mind. Because a drive is still required to reach the park, you could probably stay in Fort Garland, Mosca or other small towns nearby, giving you a larger choice of hotels. You could even stay in Walsenburg, which would add an hour to the trip, but has a much larger choice of hotels and restaurants.

In any case, I thought the Grizzly was okay to stay at for a night, but nothing more.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank unclebobg
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I'm currently getting ready to check out of this motel, and am very disappointed to have just spent seventy of my own dollars to begrudgingly lay my head here for the night. Let me try to give all of the negatives of this room a spot on this list:

-The pillows are scarce, both in number and size. There's only two meager, lumpy throw pillows on each bed.

-The outlets don't have a ground plug. Couldn't plug in my and my girlfriend's laptop while using the lamp. Pretty neat.

-The remote for the tv didn't work.

-The air conditioner didn't have all of it's buttons, and therefore didn't work properly.

-The window in the bathroom was broken. Both the lock was broken, and the screen was ripped out.

-The juice served for breakfast was watered down.

-No late check out.

-The tub is a water bed. Pretty interesting

-There was garbage on the floor.

-Room smelt of marijuana cigarettes.

-The towels were crappy, and stained.

0/10, would not stay again.

Room Tip: None. None of these rooms are good rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends