Review Highlights
Amazing Views and Great Camraderie

I and my sons, 16 and 14, made a day trip along the Conundrum Creek Trail outside of Aspen. We... read more

Reviewed November 4, 2018
Voyager02471701052
Lovely Hot Springs at Top

but go early morn as some folks camp there for the evening and it can be noisy and disruptive... read more

Reviewed July 5, 2018
atravelbugColorado

Recommended experiences in and around Aspen
from US$80.00
More Info
All reviews backpacking trip day trip trail head nude filter 14ers dusk sites meadows trailhead gear wildflowers bear miles hike bridge summer
Reviewed June 23, 2017

I did this hike (on a whim) super pregnant in one day...and I shouldn't have. Prepare and stay the night! Honestly, the worst part was getting all the way up and then having to turn around and leave the hot springs after only soaking for an hour or so. Even spending such a short time at the top it was dark by the time we got back. Additionally...a friend (hiking a little ways ahead of me) seen a mountain lion cross the trail! I must admit it was scary at dusk with nobody else on the trail after she seen that, she about crapped her pants. Thank god it didn't see her, she noticed it and turned around quietly. Once she back tracked and met up with rest of us it was gone. We were on a such a time crunch and should have prepared better. I do hike...normally with gear! We brought lots of snacks/food and water so we had energy to sustain the hike (A MUST). With all that being said, it was completely worth it! So rewarding to say I did this, in one day, super pregnant. Looking forward to round two.

Date of experience: July 2016
8  Thank Caitlin H
Reviewed April 23, 2017 via mobile

My fiancé proposed to me at the hot springs, so this place is super special to me. It is a gorgeous trail with so much scenery, and the trail it's self was not too difficult until you cross over the river. It starts to become rocky and a little unstable after that, but still not too terrible. I would definitely not recommend doing this as a day trip, as it is marked an "8.25 mile" hike but we mapped it and it was closer to 10 each way. Overall I would still tell everyone to go there!

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank xtina2805
Reviewed September 17, 2016

Fantastic but grueling two-day hike to Conundrum Hot Springs with my wife and a few other middle-aged couples. The hike proved difficult for our aging group as we took nine hours to reach the hot springs. The views along the way were incredible. After an early morning dip in the hot springs, we began our decent. We completed our hike six hours later.

Date of experience: September 2016
4  Thank mater1964
Reviewed September 7, 2016

This gorgeous hike is popular from the Aspen side - not so much from the Crested Butte side because it is a longer hike over a 13,000 foot pass from CB. Not sure either canyon approach can claim more beauty than the other. Just incredible views everywhere. Since there are TA questions about this - both approaches are seriously strenuous hikes. This is not for kids. Nine hours of uphill walking! You need to be in good physical condition. You also need to be aware of separating from your hiking party and have a plan for it. People lose each other for lack of awareness and a plan. Our Cobra wireless radios did not work at all, so beware this plan may not work out for you! Some of the CB approach is sketchy near Triangle Pass. So much that less mature young adults are reluctant to move out of the trail to let others pass through. There are several creek crossings, most of which are already traversed by a log bridge, some by stones, some by loose trees, or a combination, others - not at all and you may get wet, so plan for it. There are insufficient campsites at the springs, so plan to arrive early if camping there. Early afternoon if possible. Sites 14-16 are highest on the mountain, so try those first if coming from CB. Don't pack much water for your hike. There is plenty of fresh mountain stream water to drink if you have a way to purify it. Campsites are monitored by rangers - you will be fined for prohibited campfires or camping outside a designated site. However, lower on the mountain (there is a sign as you hike uphill from Aspen) you can camp anywhere and have your own fire. If coming from CB I would recommend choosing to camp on the CB side of the pass and hike to the springs the following day. Otherwise plan to leave the CB trailhead at dawn and hope you don't get slowed down by altitude sickness on the way to the pass. If coming from Aspen, you will have plenty of company, so again earlier is better, plus you can choose to stop at a lower elevation to camp and have a campfire and less company. Dogs are not allowed according to signage. If you didn't know this and brought your dog, you will probably be ticketed. Check weather reports for chances of rain and bring that rain cover if there is a chance! Bring or find a walking stick for wobbly creek crossings. Leave one at either end of a crossing for the next soul that needs the assistance.

Date of experience: September 2016
6  Thank roadtrip78726
Reviewed July 26, 2016

Although we did not make it all the way to the springs, this is one of Aspen's most beautiful hiking trails. It takes about one hour to walk to the "Bridge" and about 45 minutes to walk back - this summer it was a little "buggy", so take repellent and look out for the Moose.

Date of experience: July 2016