Review Highlights
Amazing Views and Great Camraderie

I and my sons, 16 and 14, made a day trip along the Conundrum Creek Trail outside of Aspen. We... read more

Reviewed November 4, 2018
Voyager02471701052
Lovely Hot Springs at Top

but go early morn as some folks camp there for the evening and it can be noisy and disruptive... read more

Reviewed July 5, 2018
atravelbugColorado

Recommended experiences in and around Aspen
from US$86.76
More Info
from US$93.10
More Info
All reviews backpacking trip day trip trail head nude filter 14ers dusk sites meadows trailhead gear wildflowers bear miles hike bridge stream
Reviewed July 5, 2018

but go early morn as some folks camp there for the evening and
it can be noisy and disruptive, taking away from the enjoyment.
It's not an easy hike so be in shape.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed June 25, 2018

We had an absolute blast backpacking up the these springs. I believe it was 8 or 9 miles in and it is a trek with all your gear. But the views at the top were worth it. We met some wonderful people hanging out in the springs and everyone shared what they had. Make sure to bring a filter for water and light weight gear. The most important part though is make sure you have comfortable shoes and dry socks as it is very easy to get blisters.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed September 4, 2017

This hike has spectacular views from beginning to end! There were wildflowers and the aspens even started to change. I went on Saturday of Labor Day weekend. My friend and I were worried about the parking situation (because we heard it is a highly trafficked area) so we arrived at the trailhead around 5:50am. There were about 5-10 spots available at this time and not a soul in sight. I heard from a couple that got there at 8:30am that there were no more parking spots. It sounds like getting there between 6 and 7am is optimal.

You will see many signs at the trailhead to bring a bear canister for your smellables (food, sunscreen, toiletries, anything that a bear can smell). This is no joke. You must have one or else you will be slapped with a $150 fine at the top. We saw many groups at the top that wanted to stay the night but didn't have canisters and they had to go back down. Don't ignore this. It is for everyone's safety. Apparently bears visit the site frequently.

The trail is mostly a gradual incline with flat spots or even down hills on the way up. It's about a 2,500ft altitude gain. I'm a moderately active person and I made it up to the springs in about 6 hours. It took me 4 hours to descend. I did this with a full backpacking pack that weighed about 30 pounds. Some people just went up for the day and had light packs so I suppose they hiked up much much faster.

We got to the campsites around noon and there were several sites still available (even on Labor Day Weekend). I stayed at site 4B and it was clean. The higher sites are closer to the springs, but we thought it would be loud at night so we stayed on the lower side. I was told to watch out for human poop around the campsite but I didn't see any such thing. There are poop bags at the trailhead for humans to pack out their poop. We opted to use a trowel and bury ours.

The springs are lovely. The big pool was very warm. The middle of the pool was the hottest part. I'm guessing it was around 102 degrees. There were some annoying horse flies around that bite. Most people wore swimsuits during the day. I heard at dusk most people go in the nude, but I didn't go back up at that time.

Overall, this was a pretty cool experience. I was expecting there to be trash and poop everywhere, but it ended up being very nice. I suggest getting there early to beat the heat, but you probably don't have to get there at 5am.

Date of experience: September 2017
11  Thank mollyhoss
Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

I didn't boil water, just used a Sawyer filter. Not sure if some of the hot spring water could have gotten in our wine bottle because it was raining, or if it was from the streams. Either way, I picked up something awful.

Date of experience: July 2017
5  Thank Kayla H
Reviewed June 23, 2017

I did this hike (on a whim) super pregnant in one day...and I shouldn't have. Prepare and stay the night! Honestly, the worst part was getting all the way up and then having to turn around and leave the hot springs after only soaking for an hour or so. Even spending such a short time at the top it was dark by the time we got back. Additionally...a friend (hiking a little ways ahead of me) seen a mountain lion cross the trail! I must admit it was scary at dusk with nobody else on the trail after she seen that, she about crapped her pants. Thank god it didn't see her, she noticed it and turned around quietly. Once she back tracked and met up with rest of us it was gone. We were on a such a time crunch and should have prepared better. I do hike...normally with gear! We brought lots of snacks/food and water so we had energy to sustain the hike (A MUST). With all that being said, it was completely worth it! So rewarding to say I did this, in one day, super pregnant. Looking forward to round two.

Date of experience: July 2016