“Try this with someone dear to you”
Review of Buckskin Pass

Reviewed September 29, 2015

This trail is for experienced hikers. Steep climb. Much snow on trails early in summer. Spectacular views. Take your teenage son or daughter, one on one for one, of the most meaningful days of your life. Share with them what God has created. The memories and visions will last forever.

1  Thank WindsOfWildwood
in 9 reviews
"miles"
"summer"

Reviewed September 1, 2015

I was visiting family in Denver and wanted to take a hike to remember. Being from Pittsburgh Pa. I wasn't really altitude conditioned. It took about 8 hours total but the time went by so fast. Well it didn't disappoint. When you finally reach the pass it just takes your breath away!!!The drive on i70 was just breathless as well. I will be back.

Reviewed July 24, 2015

If you want a real workout, this is the hike for you! Nearly a 14er but not quite. Heck of a view from the top! Be sure to be prepared. Bring plenty of water, food, and hiking poles will serve you well on this trail! Do wear proper footwear, with good tread. Flip flops and sandals would be a huge mistake! Pack a jacket and be off the summit before the afternoon storms roll in. Check the weather before you go! Plan on the hike taking you about two + hours to the top.

1  Thank Aspenfunnygal
Reviewed September 29, 2014

I hiked this Sept. 26, 2014. We started at Maroon Lake. The Aspens were in full color and it was amazing. Pyramid Peak which is to your left to start and then behind you on your way up to the pass becomes bigger and more amazing the higher you climb. I enjoyed every part of this hike. It requires effort to get there but It is worth every step. The only regret I had is that I could not hike over to Snowmass Lake and camp there. Words and pictures cannot describe how truly great the view is. I am thankful for the memories of the views I witnessed on this hike. I highly recommend this hike.

2  Thank billrae93
See more reviews
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Buckskin Pass is a beautiful hike. We climbed at around 9 AM on a Monday in August and the crowds were not an issue whatsoever. For the most part, we had the trail to ourselves, and the few people we saw on the way up were friendly and polite. We shared the summit with about ten people, but no one was in the way of the spectacular views at the top of the pass. Crowds began to form once we returned to the Crater Lake area.

Hikers definitely need to bring lots of water on this hike. It isn't extraordinarily hot, but you will need more than you think. I do not suggest this hike if you are just coming up from sea level. The last mile or so is pretty killer.

All in all, Buckskin is a spectacular hike from trailhead to summit. The views of Pyramid Peak, the Maroon Bells, and Snowmass Mountain are unbelievable. Bring a windbreaker for the top! Keep an eye on the beautiful wildflowers and mountain streams winding their way down the mountain. Enjoy!

2  Thank hbsta15