“Strenuous hike is rewarded with incredible view”
Review of Buckskin Pass

Reviewed August 31, 2017

I visited the Aspen area to backpack the Maroon Bells Four Pass Loop, a 25 mile multi-day hike. Buckskin Pass is part of this loop, and has an incredible view on all sides. The pass is a 5 mile hike from the trailhead at the Maroon Bells Visitor Center, so it is 10 miles round trip. The hike is stunningly beautiful but also extremely strenuous, reaching an elevation of 12,500 feet at the pass. Please be careful and do not attempt without plenty of water.

1  Thank JamesM12447
in 9 reviews
"miles"
"summer"

Reviewed August 9, 2017

Being from the flatlands of SE Pennsylvania this hike was a real heart pumper! DH and I were in the Aspen area for three full days before attempting it and I'm glad we had the time to acclimate. It was 9.2 miles out and back from the Maroon Lake trailhead/parking lot and 2,879 ft elevation gain (data from Garmin). We are both runners and I just completed a (flat) half-marathon. That said, we still required frequent breaks and lots of water and fuel to get this done. I recommend having camel packs, energy blocks or other quick fuel, and a good hat and hiking boots. There are plenty of mountain streams for water refills if you have iodine tablets.
Going back down was much easier and our pace was 3-4X that of going up, so keep that in mind as you are ascending..there is relief! We started before 8am to beat afternoon showers. I do not recommend starting this much later than 9am in the summer unless you are a mountain goat (which we saw up there!). I highly recommend this as the views are breathtaking (or was that the altitude?). In any case, this is the real deal Colorado high and nothing compares. Cheers!

2  Thank kcheme
Reviewed September 23, 2016

Buckskin Pass... Follow W Maroon Tr. past Maroon Lake. You go right, up the East Maroon/Snowmass Trail just before Crater Lake. The fall colors are super. Parts are steep.

Reviewed August 28, 2016

Buckskin Pass is approximately a 3.8 mile hike over well defined trails, much of it above treeline, with 3150 vertical feet. Bring poles, they will seriously help with the rocky trail, as you move through several areas of scree that are remnants of avalanches, etc. It is definitely worth it, as the views from the pass down to Snowmass lake are spectacular. (see photo)

See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

We actually did the willow pass trail, but passed through buckskin pass too. The ascending trek was moderately difficult, but well worth it!! I don't have injured knees; however, my knees were aching by the time we got to willow pass, so I would recommend trekking poles. I also recommend bringing bear spray, because I saw fresh markings and bear droppings around 1/4 mile after the willow pass/buckskin fork on the willow pass trail. It was frightening for me being up there without it! It took us about 8 hrs round trip. Also, there were several water stream passings, so make sure you have waterproof shoes or water shoes.

Thank B. S