1,259 results
All reviews cookies quiche breakfast was delicious main building wine and cheese old mansion b bs bed and breakfast in town french toast forgotten coast george island oysters each morning small town shops and restaurants second floor
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the inn. Our first night in Room 9 was lovely. Comfortable bed. It had a door to the 2nd. floor veranda and rocking chairs out there.

This review is mainly for Room 16: The second night in Room 16 in the Villa was awful. We had dozens of 1 inch worms crawling around. When i complained, it was dismissed. After I wrote a letter, i received a phone call saying they had fumigated the villa. No mention of a refund for our unsatisfactory night.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kat8545
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This review is long overdue. Apalachicola is truly a hidden gem. We are from Denver and I've been to Florida many times. I had never heard of this amazing little town until my husband and I accidentally drove through it on a road trip! We didn't have time to stop the first time but were so impressed with the quaint little village we decided to return the following year. We stayed at the turn-of-the-century yellow Inn we saw located right along the main road into town: turned out to be the Coombs House Inn. We stayed there over Thanksgiving 2009 and the hospitality was the best I've ever experienced. Estella, the Inn keeper, made you feel like a member of her own family and we were so sad to leave! The rooms are beautiful and we met many wonderful people that weekend - stayed up past midnight drinking wine with all our newfound friends and sharing fabulous stories with amazing new friends. Our room was wonderful - though it was located on the opposite side of the street. I heard that the rooms facing the street can be a bit noisy so I requested a room on the other side. Our room was very quiet and the bed very comfortable. The breakfast I must say was good but not great; I would have preferred a different main entree than an egg dish every morning but all in all the breakfast dishes were satisfactory. St. George's Island is a quick jaunt (about 10 minutes) from the Inn. There you will find some of the most beautiful white powder beaches in America. Also the Inn offers bicycles for free; we road around town one afternoon and visited the quaint little shops and a museum. As a side note, Denver has some fabulous restaurants, so I have to say that we weren't sure if the food could meet Denver's standards. We did find a few restaurants that had excellent food - the Owl Cafe has a swanky little modern, hip bar upstairs with great food and a killer wine list! And for something a bit more casual try Boss Oyster - a little hole in the wall dive with great oysters to die for. It's very authentic Florida and that's what we LOVED about the Coombs House Inn and Apalachicola / St. Georges Island. We can't wait to return to Apalachicola and the Coombs House Inn - possibly this summer.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura1125
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We were very disappointed in the Inn. We went out of our way to stay at a quaint inn on the coast. The inn is blocks from the water. The rooms are too expensive for the service received. It is a bed and breakfast which has inadequate space to serve breakfast. It was crowded and rushed. I would not recommend this inn.

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank sistertrips021
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Our stay at the Coombs was wonderful. We didn't realize when we booked that it was more of a couples type place than a family type place, so we were a little apprehensive when we pulled up to the door with our 1 year old. The staff was very accommodating, and friendly, tailoring breakfast to our (baby's) needs, and helping us make reservations, etc. at places in town. Thankfully, she wasn't too noisy, the room was beautiful, St. George Island and Apalachicola were lovely, and we had a great getaway weekend!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2010

At 10pm the air conditioner started blowing heat into 11th heaven. We called the Inns Keeper, whom was very nice and turned the A/C off and offered us another room. However the only room available was one with 2 single beds that were very small. We decided to just go with open windows which wasn't to bad. The other negative was the owner basically called me and the Inns Keeper a liar the next morning, and offered $0 refund. Also, the hot water heater only has a 5 gallon capacity so don't bother booking the expensive room with the jacuzzi tub.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple