“Large room, but no internet”

Best Western Apalach Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Apalachicola
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Room was large, but no internet in room. TV was not a flat screen. Not many choices in Apachicola for hotels.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vaneck2

Reviewed 4 November 2011

This particular Best Western is alright if you're not expecting a lot. The beds were comfortable but the room smelled like a great big ashtray. The breakfast that they serve is "hot" in name only. It consists of some white gravy that is basically plain and that tastes like flour and water mixed, biscuits that are still refrigerator-cold that you have to microwave yourself, donuts, coffee, cereal, and two "hot" items in a warmer that were not freshly made but are from a package and microwaved warm.

If you are looking for a basic place to stay and you don't want a lot of extras, then this may very well be the place for you. However, let me warn you now that you need to keep an eye on your credit card / debit card charges after you leave. They attempted to charge my card a "significant" amount of additional charges despite the rate that I was quoted and that was on my receipt. Called them a couple of times with NO results, one of the owners deferring me to a nonexistant General Manager that wouldn't be back in for several days and telling me that any additional charges would "fall off in a couple of days"; this despite the fact that they were all placed on my card on the same day three days after we left. He also tried to convince me that it was the "bank" that was placing the additional charges. After calling BW Corporate and speaking with my credit cards legal department about the entire incident, they decided to reverse all additional charges (something one of the owners told me that they wouldn't do since they didn't place them).

Just know that there are several better places to stay in this area, including two EXCELLENT bed and breakfast locations. I won't make any effort to stay here again.

Room Tip: There are a couple of EXCELLENT Bed and Breakfast locations in town that don't cost much more th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Timothy N
Reviewed 1 November 2011

It's an old style Motel which could use upgrading. The Room was clean, bathroom was adequate with plenty of towels. There is a pool but the water looked a little dingy, so we passed.
Overall, friendly staff and we did get a good night sleep, having a room near end of Motel away from the road. The value though is poor, over a $100 for the night.

Room Tip: Get a room on ground floor, otherwise you will lug your luggage.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GeorgeO1
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I was really careful about this motel because I heard a lot of bad comments on Best Western in general. To my surprise, it was not bad. They even served hot breakfast (as opposed to continental), not a lot of option but it's reasonable. The hotel wasn't exactly the cleanest building but the room was fine. That area wasn't the most metropolitan area after all. Maybe it's the cleanliness, maybe it's the trees around, it felt a bit shady but not too creepy.

Room Tip: The first floor would be easier for moving luggage since I don't believe there's an elevator...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Larry H
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Dingy and old, it was nothing like the pictures. The rooms smelled bad and the staff was apathetic. Worst of all was the sheets on the bed were so obviously not changed since the last patron that I stripped the bed and used a blanket from my car. To top it off I was overcharged for a night that we did not reserve. In answer to my inquiries the staff on the phone told me "The manager is out of town and I don't have the authority to refund." and "We don't know when he will be back...he likes to surprise us."

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Stephen J
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Recently my sister was married on St. Georges Island and she arranged for a block of rooms at this hotel. My wife made a reservation for the Saturday night of the wedding, and I submitted my credit card upon check-in. I was told, however, that they expected me the night before as well as for the Saturday night. I told them this was wrong and that I had only ever needed the reservation for Saturday night. I submitted my credit card and signed the register for my stay. First lapse of communication error on the part of Best Western.

Two weeks later my wife tells me her credit card has been charged $245.50 for three nights' stay at the Best Western! She is extremely upset and says that she spent an hour on the phone trying to get this resolved. She was issued a credit for $29.68 for the "third" night. What "third" night? She is told that my credit card will be charged the difference and she will be credited, but that it may take some time because it has to come from Best Western "Corporate". Second lapse of communication.

We try and get this resolved, but the manager, Mr. Atul Patel, never returns her calls. I call and try and get this resolved but, again, Mr. Atul Patel does not return my call. Another employee (I think his name was Ajay, but he was very hard to understand) verifies that my wife has been credited for the third night. What third night?
Mr. Atul Patel finally calls me, after I am sure he received a frantic call from Ajay. He promises me that that night he was going to credit my wife's credit card for the two night stay ($215.82) and he would charge my card for only one night stay ($107.91). But if this is the case, what does Best Western "Corporate have to do with the previous statement made by Mr. Atul Patel. I think I am getting some relief. But I am wrong.

Today I checked my credit card balance and I have been charged $215.82 for two nights' stay, after Mr. Atul Patel assured me I would only be charged for one nights' stay. I am not surprised, but call the Best Western again and ask for Mr. Atul Patel. Dana, probably the most patient person in the world, called me back to discuss the situation with me. She tells me point blank Mr. Atul Patel told me he was going to charge me $215.82 for two nights. So, not only did he lie to me, he lied to his employee!

The fact is no one knows how many nights my reservation was for. Ajay thinks it is for three nights, Dana tells me there are actually two reservations for me, and Mr. Atul Patel can not seem to tell the truth. At this point I do not expect to get a credit for the one night. I will not stay at a Best Western again, though. Ever. And Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn will have an entry about this property and their policies.

Room Tip: Do not make a reservation at this hotel; save yourself the aggravation!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Lowpro
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This accommodation needs updating. Dining area unable to cope with guests at breakfast time as there is not enough seating. Would not stay for more than one night.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeymourMelbourne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
1.8 km away
31.3 km away
Port Inn
Port Inn
#1 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Best Western Apalach Inn? Share your experiences!