All reviewstackle boxsan pedrohol chan and shark ray alleyfishmexico rocksdive masterdive shopbudget roombarrier reefbaby oilboat trafficnurse sharksaquarium restaurantremote locationminute boat ridesea grassgreat snorkeling
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This was our first trip out of the U.S. We felt immediately at home with TBR....
We are missing Belize and our friends at Tranquility Bay Resort. We had the best vacation we've ever had.
The cabana was kept very clean despite all the sand we kept dragging in with us.
The food was amazing, the fish tacos were my favorite! The rum cake and coconut pie were awesome as well.
Having never gone snorkeling before, it was everything I'd imagined and so much more. It was so incredible, and easily accessible as you begin snorkeling only a few feet into the water.
Staff were amazing. They felt like family before we left.
The side trips to San Pedro were fun as well. It's a beautiful half hour ride in. The town is easy to walk through, and there are plenty of maps throughout town to guide you.
Missing everyone and everything, and looking forward to returning someday.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LadyGray80
TBR-Manager, Manager at Tranquility Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2012

Thanks for the great review! Hope to see you back at the resort again soon! :-)

Reviewed March 7, 2012

For those on the 'fence' if you'd like to stay here or not, we were in San Pedro for two weeks and I called the resort and called the manager Carlos, who worked out a way for the four of us to get up there and spend the day. Realize you have to work with their boat schedule and their guests come first OBVIOUSLY, but it is well worth a trip up there to see the sights and snorkel!
It is the most tranquil place I have been too but you are remote.If you want to be away from it all, this is the place for you.
The staff was spectacular! Even though we were 'visitors', we were treated with such respect and friendliness! It was a great day!
We would consider staying if we went back, however I need to be able to cruise on my golf cart in San Pedro, so it would only be a few days for us.
I strongly suggest trying to work out a visit as you may just fall in love with the place!

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Thanks for the review and coming up to the resort for the day. To others reading this review please do understand that our in house guests take priority over day visits as far as scheduling a boat as mentioned above! :-)

Reviewed March 3, 2012

We met friends here for a week of diving fishing and relaxing.the weather didn't cooperate with the fishing,we were blow out but our guide gaspar worked like a dog and put us on multiple schools of bonefish,he was outstanding.The diving exceeded our expectations with sitings of eagle rays turtles manatees and even cuttlefish. what was best of all was the feel of family Carlos and Isabel have instilled from the food to a bar that Hemmingway would have loved tranquility bay is first class all the way,can't wait to come back

• Stayed: February 2012

Thanks for the great review! Glad you enjoyed your fishing trips and snorkeling and snorkeling from the beach!

Reviewed March 2, 2012

In a word, unbelievable. A relaxing atmosphere, phenomenal views by day and clear starlit nights. The food was authentic, reminded me of my Mom's Jamaican cooking. All the staff was friendly, helpful and professional. We stayed in the Prime Minister's Cabana. It was kept spotless on a daily basis. The staff at the Aquarium knew my name in minutes and seemed as though I'd known them forever. Hill and Albert we're great in suggesting new dinner selections and libations. Carlos and Isabel were the most gracious of hosts going so far as to convince me to go shark diving...it was phenomenal...don't miss going to Hol Chan. Jamal was a great guide and boatsman. Orlando was very reassuring despite my phobia of deep water and made certain to outfit me so that I'd be comfortable...Thank you again. Unfortunately, as I write this, I am on my way back to work but am already planning our return trip. Thank you everyone at Tranquility Bay Resort for surpassing even my wildest dreams and expectations for this trip.

Room Tip: Any cabana is great.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Innerdiva13

Thanks for the great review! Hope to see you back soon! :-)

Reviewed March 2, 2012

We took our first "big" family vacation and went way out on a limb in our choice of tranquility bay. Not only was it in a country which is a little off the beaten path, but the resort is off the path which is off the path.

When we first arrived there was a moment of hesitation with the cabana. It was in clear need of updating in a few areas and there was a strong smell of something like insecticide. Then again, I think I always see the worst in a place in the first minute.

While it is undeniable that there were some "upkeep" related issues, I honestly can't think of a better place to disconnect and enjoy a magical time with my family. After the first day I really didn't care about any of the negative stuff (except the insecticide smell) and I think that is part of the magic. After a few days at Tranquility Bay, your perspective completely changes. I think for the much better.

The staff is just great. Almost everyone immediately learns your name and uses it every time they see you. They are sincerely nice and make every attempt to enhance your experience.

The food is better than I would have expected although it is quite expensive relative to what you get. To elaborate a bit on that, the portions are actually appropriate and, given the expense of getting the food to the resort, I think the cost is reasonable. It just would have been helpful if there were a few simple items which could be at a little lower price. After the week our food bill was a bit of a shock. By the end we were mostly avoiding the dinner entrees in favor of appetizers and salads.

What you really should care about though is the tropical paradise you are immersed in. The beach is lovely and the water is crystal clear. You can snorkel to coral heads right off the beach and there are fish everywhere. There is a constant breeze and the waves can be heard breaking in the reef all day. It was actually almost unreal how relaxing and beautiful the whole place was and we had to keep reminding ourselves that we were awake.

A few hints...
1. Expect to go to bed early. We were asleep by 10 most nights and there really is no nightlife. We didn't expect or want any but you shouldn't either if this is where you are considering.
2. Excursions to the mainland are VERY expensive. This is due to being off the path which is off the path. That said, I couldn't imagine how disappointed I would be if we hadn't visited Mayan ruins and done the zipline and cave tubing.
3. Speaking of, if you are planning on doing the cave tubing, which you should, bring a few things. 1. Water shoes. They have then there for rent but they are really gross. 2. A waterproof camera. 3. A waterproof flashlight.
4. When you get to San Pedro, take a few minutes to stop off at a market for some essentials to keep in your cabana. Alcohol at the resort is very expensive and there are no "snacks." Picking up some will save you money.
5. Take an opportunity to walk up the beach to the north. There are a few scattered private homes and not much else. You really are in the middle of nowhere and the beauty is striking. My wife and I kept joking that we were in an episode of Lost. That said, expect to be very saddened by the amount of trash that washes up on the beaches from basically every country in the atlantic. Since there is no one to clean it up it looks really bad.
6. There is great fishing off the dock at the resort but you can't keep anything. If you are bringing kids who fish, this won't matter. I do suggest bringing some small circle hooks, the smallest you can get, since they almost never badly hurt the fish. The hooks they have available for use are good for only VERY large fish and your kids will be frustrated. We got some in town at the fishing shop next to the airport.
7. Take the snorkel trip to Hol Chan. I will always remember the beauty and abundance of natural life on display. I wonder if I will every see anything so unspoiled again.

If you are looking for an experience bordering on the rustic with a focus on relaxation, friendship and natural beauty, this is your place. If you are also considering Atlantis or a Cruise, Tranquility Bay may not be right for you.

Thanks to Carlos (who I know will be reading this) Isabela, Maya, Winfield, Hill, Jamaal and everyone else at the resort for making our experience great.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank btwaldman

Thanks for the review. We are glad you took a chance on Tranquility Bay and enjoyed your trip. Just a note to those of you reading the review... we try to keep our restaurant prices equivalent or less to similar restaurants in town. The view from our restaurant is priceless! :-)