All reviews tackle box san pedro fish hol chan and shark ray alley mexico rocks dive master dive shop barrier reef budget room baby oil nurse sharks aquarium restaurant remote location boat traffic minute boat ride sea grass great snorkeling
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We started our Belize honeymoon staying on the mainland in the jungle. We did the obligatory (and quite amazing) tours and spent our fair share of time in the mountains. It was beautiful! BUT...the second we landed in San Pedro my level of relaxation skyrocketed. The boat ride to Tranquility Bay was the perfect way to begin our time on the island, and Hill (usually the server/bartender but filling in on the town run this particular day) was truly entertaining on our way! We instantly felt welcomed, especially when we pulled up to the dock to a waiting Carlos, Isabelle, and Foodie (the newest TB dog - a GREAT addition). I had seen this place online for so long during the planning (and dreaming) process, and I expected it to be beautiful, but pictures absolutely can not do it justice. It is stunning! The beach, the restaurant/dive shop/dock, the cabanas, the kayaks, the palm trees, the hammocks, the Turtleman's shack up the beach...this place exemplifies what a tropical beach resort should look like. The best part of TB is the comfortable environment...nothing is too perfect so you don't feel like it's stuffy/stifling, the staff is the best I've seen anywhere at making you feel welcome, the other guests all become friends by the time you've been there a few hours. I am a rather shy person, and I found myself talking with everyone, even to the point of introducing myself to new faces when new guests joined us or visitors came in for lunch or dinner.

The setting of TB is perfect for water play; and if you have kids, you need to RUN to TB. The reef causes the waves to break on the far side of the reef, so the water in front of TB is easy to swim, play, and snorkel in. From the cabanas to the reef it never gets more than 8-10 feet deep and the depth comes back up by the reef, so even kids can swim/snorkel safely. The kayaks are free to use and make it so easy to paddle around or tie-up on a mooring buoy and hop in. If you are lucky, you may be joined by manatees! The food at TB was amazing...especially handy since there's only a few options up that way. We happily ate every meal there but one while in San Pedro after a snorkel trip. Each day began with a delicious free breakfast. The gals in the kitchen know what they are doing...pork tenderloin, great fish dishes, and the best coconut ice cream I've ever had!!

The cabanas are great, too. We had a 1 bedroom with a loft and the BR had air, a nice change from our time in the jungle and a welcome break on our few buggy days. If I had anything at all negative to say about TB it would be that I would like to see some updates and some more attention to detail in the cabanas. I don't expect the Ritz and I would never want it to be upgraded to the point of being too fancy, but given the nightly rate, I'd expect a sink with a stopper somewhere and lighting that isn't so harsh along with some other minor details that would be an easy fix and not a distraction to an otherwise perfect setting. That said, however, when I am luckily enough to make it back to Belize (we agreed that we'd return for our 10th anniversary if we haven't made it back by then), I will head straight back to TB and will recommend it to anyone and everyone I know who may ever go to Belize. The staff, the setting, the food, the beach, the remoteness, the community atmosphere...pure Tranquility!!!

Room Tip: The lower the cabana #, the closer you'll be the restaurant/dock which may block your view. we had #5 and it was a great view!! All are an easy walk to everything.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jgnteach
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I loved TBR. The location is so key for what we were looking for.

A World class reef we could swim to
Away from the noisy tourist stop of San Pedro. The beach is actually a beach unlike other resorts on tge Caye. There is no boat traffic. I caught bonefish right in front of our cabanas. The prevailing wind was so relaxing as it put us to sleep on the beach.

Insider tip:

Buy beer and rum in San Pedro before you take your ferry to TBR. The cabanas have mini fridges and it was crucial to be able to have bold beer on the porch each evening before walking to dinner.

Definitely go to Hol Chan to snorkel. It is better than any carribean spots.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Rushman18
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We came to tranquility bay at the end of our trip to belize. This was the perfect way to plan our trip. We did all the crazy adventure jungle stuff in San ignacio first, then we went to caye caulker and did all the diving/snorkeling and we came to tranquility bay to just chill out. And that's exactly what we did. It was incredible. The beach is wonderful, perfect for evening strolls. The rooms were fabulous and have incredible views of the water. I took a picture with my phone and it honestly reminded me of the stock photos that come loaded on your computer.

The food was amazing. The staff was even better. Each day we woke up, had a great (FREE!) breakfast and then headed to the beach or out snorkeling. I have never been so relaxed in all my life.

The resort is 12 miles from San Pedro, so it's definitely secluded. Don't come here expecting to go out to dinner in town (you don't need to... the food here is so great, you won't miss anything). When we were headed back to catch our flight, we walked through SP a bit... and I'm glad we were so secluded. I wouldn't have wanted to be that close to all the chaos anyway.

I would recommend this place WHOLE HEARTEDLY to any couple, family or anyone looking for their own slice of heaven.

Room Tip: All the cabanas are very nice... the budget traveler's room is actually a great room, just on the side of another cabana. Still great views, half the price.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kcj523
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Low key to say the least, but just what we were looking for. Everything you want they set up for you; Diving, Snorkeling, Fishing...and it's usually just you and the captain. The diving was exceptional and they have the best beach on Ambergris too, white sand for a few miles north of the property. It's a long boat ride (we never actually went back to town) and there are only about 10 cabanas, so it's a small resort and you get to know your neighbors. The cabanas are rustic, but nice, just don't expect a flat screen. The restaurant's TV was down too, but it was easy to forget about that thanks to the location. The service was off the charts, from the dive master to the bartenders (Hill is the man), everyone was eager to make our vacation awesome. The restaurant on site was really the only one around, but the food was beyond great. The whole trip was perfect. There's no pool, but you can make up for that by drinking at the bar, jumping off the dock, showering off in the outdoor shower, then drinking again at the bar. This is why you come to Belize.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SnowmassOnTheRiver
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This place is total chill. If you can't lose your tension here, you might be too far gone. Great place to lay in a hamock and read or just gaze out into the water from your front porch. First let me say that is not for the Ritz or Four Seasons crowd. The accommodations are nothing great and need to be updated. The furniture in the main room is damp and the best way to access the safe is by standing on a stool (unless you're over 6 feet tall). Yet I slept like a baby, give it a 5 and would go back in a heartbeat. Ah, this was very special. My wife said it felt like summer camp. Friendly neighbors (shout outs to Zach and Lynn), friendly staff, and nothing or everything to do. The water at some spots is waist high around 50-100 yards out and is great for snorkeling. You can kayak, tether your boat and hop in. Happy hour is a good deal and the food is decent enough. Let them know if you are gluten free, they worked well with my wife. After dinner hang outside the bar and watch the spotlight shine down from the deck onto the fish.....no spoiler alert here...but we saw some amazing things....thank God they didn't have a TV in the room. Don't be shocked if you see a local 13 year old towhead kid fishing from that deck.....he made 2 of the most amazing catches I've ever seen....shades of Huck Fin meet the Crocodile Hunter . Head in the direction of the Turtleman's shack for a great run or a long walk with someone you love. We spent 4 nights there and tasted a bit of paradise.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family