All reviews tackle box san pedro hol chan and shark ray alley fish mexico rocks dive master dive shop budget room barrier reef baby oil boat traffic nurse sharks aquarium restaurant remote location minute boat ride sea grass great snorkeling
Reviewed March 22, 2018

My friends and I just had a wonderful 5 days here. The staff was uniformly friendly and helpful-the manager Terrylee has created a comraderie that is reflected in the consistent warm atmosphere. At Tranquility Bay we could just swim out to the coral areas for fantastic snorkeling when and as long as desired. A nightly highlight was watching on the dock for the white bellied spotted eagles rays jumping out of the water against the black sky. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. The weather was delightful-just a nice breeze and no flies.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank eml160
Reviewed March 18, 2018

We stayed in the budget Traveller's suite at Tranquility Bay Resort. It had the most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in, and yes you can see the water from the veranda! Beautiful white sandy beach. Nice staff. It is quite isolated from other places - no stores or night life, but the restaurant / bar is lovely. Breakfast is good, and is included. You can get a boat into San Pedro, or to snorkel / scuba dive at Mexico Rocks, which is gorgeous. You can snorkel from the beach too, but it was not as great as we had hoped. I wanted to get my open water certification for scuba diving, and was very impressed with Eric, who went out of his way to boost my confidence, cheer me on and ensure that I got an instructor. He could not have been more helpful and supportive. If you are looking for a lovely beach with peace and quiet, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: February 2018
2  Thank Kathy C
Reviewed March 18, 2018

Ambergris Caye was nice, but Tranquility Bay was isolated - about 40 minute boat ride away. They sent a fairly small boat with no roofing or coverage for people or luggage. If it is raining, everything gets wet and feels like a very rough boat ride. Since we went in October, we knew it was off-season but still expected some amenities. They couldn't help that the water was rough and we couldn't snorkel at all. But, other than a short time period allotted for meals, their office and restaurant/bar was closed. They gave us a menu but didn't have any of the desserts on it. It was miserable and not a nice place other than a pretty beach. Without good weather, the beach was no good to us. The food was expensive and so so . Not ever going back.

Stayed: October 2017
6  Thank Ann S
Reviewed March 18, 2018

I visited in March of 2015 and was remiss in not reviewing it then. Having been to three other resorts since, I wanted to capture its highlights.
My strongest memory is that this is the first resort that, as I pulled away from the dock and the staff waved us off, a tear literally came to my eye, something I cannot say about many other vacation destinations.
The small number of guests makes for such a special experience. We loved the food, every meal was delicious. We loved the snorkeling -- how we could either swim or kayak and anchor at our destination.
The excursion to the reef - the marine sanctuary was "stand out".
My only cautions were that the week we were there, it was very very windy. In retrospect we were fortunate it only rained heavily part of one day. Also, I received many many sand fly bites, and its the only reason I hesitate to return. If you are prone to sand fly bites, come armed with the very strongest repellant, and use it, and sit in hammocks at your own risk.

Stayed: April 2017
1  Thank Irene M
Reviewed March 10, 2018

I chose this place because I am not a strong swimmer, and I like to snorkel off the beach. T think this would work better during a different season, as the wind in February made the current quite strong and difficult for me. This did not bother my husband, who is a stronger swimmer, but it made snorkeling less pleasurable for me. We took a trip to Mexico Rocks and ended up drift snorkeling, which worked well. The good thing about the wind is that we saw literally no sand flies or mosquitoes.
We enjoyed our little one bedroom house, which was comfortable and roomy. We didn’t need the air conditioning in the bedroom, as it was cool at night. The dining room was comfortable and the food was tasty but expensive. The cook made vegetarian meals for me that were quite good, especially the vegetable curry. We also took advantage of the happy hour special prices every evening.
There were delays being picked up when we arrived and when we went into San Pedro one afternoon. This seemed to be the result of having only one person doing all the trips.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple