There is a reason so many of these reviews start out with 'We'll be back.'
Matachica is absolutely delightful from start to finish. I know I'm repeating what others have said, but the service is so friendly and so thoughtful, once you understand that every concern has been taken care of you realize that your only job is to relax and enjoy it. One aspect they have really gotten down is anticipating any question, so it's answered before you've even formed it in your mind.
A word of advice: Let Matachica arrange the reservations for the TropicAir flight for your arrival and departure. While the ferry is an option, it requires a cab ride to the dock, and then a long and reportedly uncomfortable ferry ride. The puddle jumper is seamless, and flying over the turquoise water to Ambergris Caye in a wonderful arrival. And like everything else, Matachica arranges it flawlessly.
When you arrive at the San Pedro airport, Matachica staff are there to greet you and walk you through baggage retrieval, then to a golf cart to the Matachica motorboat that takes you to the resort.
They really have this down to a science - every staff member hands you off to the next person along the way so you never feel unsure or unattended, which is great after a long day traveling.
It's basically perfect. Infinity edge pool with enough loungers and umbrellas for everyone, lounges on the beach, and their adorable circular lounges on the pier over the water. This was our favorite spot. There is bar service beginning after breakfast. There is one restaurant, but for a week the menu had plenty of options, and the food was uniformly really tasty. I may have to be weaned off the seafood ceviche. Yum.
It is quiet and idyllic. They welcome guests over 16, so no loud munchkins splashing at the pool. The very international crowd (while we were there we heard Australian, English and Canadian accents, along with French, Russian, German ...) ranged from a few honeymooners to retired couples and one or two families, but almost exclusively couples. We wore flip-flops on the first day and after that were literally barefoot the entire time, even for dinner. The paths are sand and constantly raked and safe for tender feet.
If you are looking for a lot (or really, any) nightlife, this is not your place. If you want simple luxury and attentive but unobtrusive service, this is it. You can of course go into San Pedro, but it's really more suited to just relaxing on site.
That said, there are many options for excursions and tours, and the front desk arranges everything for you, with the same degree of ease as everything else. We enjoyed the Shark Ray Alley/Hol Chan Reserve tour, as well as a Blue Hole trip that is led by another group but you are picked up and dropped off again at the resort so really don't need to worry about any aspect.
If you don't want to leave the property, there are well-maintained and plentiful sea kayaks, sunfish, snorkels, masks and fins ... we never had to wait to use anything, it was like it was sitting there waiting just for us.
The casitas are SO comfortable. On the one hand they look rustic and part of the landscape, but they are air conditioned, with lovely baths and super-comfortable beds and linens. (The ONLY thing i would change is to offer down pillows, but maybe those don't do so well in that climate.)
The staff was so lovely, from start to finish. We especially loved Myra's warm welcome and Archie's kind service every day in the restaurant, and Charlie's knowledgable and friendly tour guiding. I wish I had learned everyone's names, the young man at the water equipment hut was always helpful and eager to help, our server the last night had such a warm smile and ready laugh it made a special night even more special.
I've rarely felt so wistful leaving a place. It was a wonderful visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca and getaroom.com so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro