All reviews grocery store across the street jacuzzi tub view of the ocean bedroom resort sand toaster carts golf
Reviewed February 10, 2018 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on the pictures and when we got there found it was completely different. The grounds and the room are in terrible condition and the management could care less.

The beach has eroded and now you see a concrete sea wall where trash and debris has accumulated. What looks like ocean access is no more. The deck had nails sticking up and only a few chairs had pads.

The beautiful pool is actually 3 blocks away down a busy, muddy road. Miriam told me it was “right across the street” so I took all my stuff and found out different...the day I went it was locked up and closed. When I got all the way back and asked Miriam about this she insisted “no it is open “...yea right!

The room was in disrepair with holes in the drywall, stained faucets, mismatched lightbulbs, squeaky doors, exhaust fan didn’t work, security lock didn’t turn and on and on. There is no safe so I had to carry around our passports, iPad and other valuables the entire time.

The “Kitchenette” they advertised was a small table with dishes and a coffee pot, no coffee no filters. There was a small refrigerator and that worked fine.

We booked the honeymoon suite which the pictures show a jacuzzi tub with rose petals...what a joke, After filling it about 6” with warm water, they shut off the hot water and 6” doesn’t even cover the jets ...it wouldn’t work anyway because the button to turn it on was missing.

Also found out if you want the daily maid service you have to drop your key off at the office and ask for it. Of course there is no information about anything in the room. By the way, the office is only open a from 10-6 so if you need something or lose your key you are SOL.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank glassat
Reviewed February 4, 2018

Upon my arrival via taxi to ECBR, I was not sure why the cab stopped at such an obscure and poorly maintained entrance and surrounding structures.
I then notice the ECBR office sign and my excitement about finally making it to the hotel to begin my long-awaited Belizean adventure turned to concern.
Upon entering the run-down, dreary office, we were initially met by no one...After a couple of minutes a clerk showed up,checked-us in, informed us that only one of the two pre-booked rooms was ready..
Upon entering the room ( #2A), we were in disbelief at the run-down condition of the room, the wooden deck ( they call "balcony), and EVERYTHING else, inside and out...Facility wide!
1) There was no cold water at all...neither in the bathroom sink, shower or kitchen sink..
2) The hot water was just warm enough to shower comfortably in the rickety shower enclosure that had been secured to the wall via drywall screws .
3) Of the four burners on the rusty and wobbling electric stove, 3 did not work and the little burner that did work was so crooked that everything I attempted to cook, (especially eggs) ran to on side of the pan....I felt like a convict trying to cook.
4) We had cockroaches and mice! Mouse dropping in the sink and on the countertop in the morning..Beyond gross! 5)
5) The toaster didnt work.
6) The 3ft tall refrigerator did work, not well, but it was enough to keep things somewhat chilled...I had to be careful opening the door though because the refrigerator would rock forward dumping the items on the shelves out onto the floor.
7) To cook, I had to borrow a frying pan from a neighboring room...There was only a pot and lid in my room.
8) Cumulatively, everything in my room was in disrepair and had been for a long time...There is no way that management could not have known about these matters.

Lets discuss the exterior..

ALL of the wooden decks ( "balconies) are in gross disrepair to the point of immediate safety concerns..via collapse or splinters( see pics).
The alleged pool is nothing more than a poorly maintained large hot tub sunk into a wooden deck that I would not feel safe walking barefoot on (see pics).
THERE IS NO BEACH!!! There is not a small beach, or a poorly maintained beach..THERE IS NO BEACH!
The area that ECBR claims to be a beach is a sandy yard that ends at an area of broken hunks of concrete etc and ends at a seawall...Yes, the ocean is on the other side of the seawall, but the area is in no way fit for wading or swimming..It is all grassy, about 6 inches deep at low tide and about 2 ft deep at high tide and not in any way inviting.
The beach thing gets worse...The neighboring properties face the same seawall challenge as ECBR, however the neighboring properties have done/do what they can to make the best of it by back-filling the concrete/rubble area with sand and then keeping the area nicely manicured so it is aesthetically pleasing and functional....ECBR does none of these things (see pics).

I am not exaggerating when I state that one off the ECBR buildings, a two story stuccoed concrete block structure has no roof at all and the second floor is fully gutted and exposed....AND they are still renting the bottom two rooms!! True story..(See pics!)

Now, lets talk safety, other than the fore-mentioned structural issues...
Between my room (2A) and the next room ( you guessed it..2B) there is a utility room with an unlocked door...I peeked in the see an electric hot water and to my surprise, a gas cylinder that had been plumbed using a flexible water line and a couple of hose clamps..True story ( see pics).

Anyway, I am done with my rant for the moment...Oh, I think I have a pics of the totally rusted out electrical boxes, exposed open-splice electrical connections, all in plain view and easily accessible to anyone..

OH!!! I almost forgot! There is new construction by a neighboring property going on behind the resort.. ABOUT 6FT behind ECBR!!... Steel structure with metal decking Construction crews begin about 7am and the noise continues until dark ( see pics) My bedroom is in the pic ( the one with the lights on). I had to sleep on the couch to have any chance of sleeping beyond 7am. ( again, see pics).

I advise to avoid this place folks...Dont be deceived by the pricing or pics on their site or on expedia etc...

Room tip: Choose another hotel
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank Steve M
Reviewed May 29, 2017

Our "Deluxe" Room, was literally 18 feet to one of the most rowdy bars on the beach. Party goes until 2:00 am every night. People talking and yelling until 4:00 am. After the first night, we cancelled the rest of our trip and went to Placencia.

There is NO BEACH. They have a Sea Wall. They advertise an "ocean view", past the crumbling pool deck, past the bar, past the sea wall, you can see some water. The pool is a joke, our hot tub in the states is larger. No exaggeration. - Shower had mold growing in the grout. Utterly horrid.

Room tip: Stay ANYWHERE but here. Some sites call this a 4.5 Stars. - NO WAY
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
11  Thank Darren H
Reviewed February 20, 2017 via mobile

We had a great stay. Staff upgraded us to the honeymoon suite since it was our 20 year anniversary and we stayed at the same place, but a different name, for our honeymoon. The place isn't fancy but suited our needs. It is close to the city and has 2 restaurants and a lively bar.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank GINNYWEILENMAN
Reviewed February 18, 2017

This is an old resort that has seen better times. We understood that it is to be torn down soon and replaced by a state of the art facility so I guess they are letting it wind down gracefully. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is great and restaurant/bar on site were hot spots, but I would stay elsewhere until the new digs are available.

Date of stay: February 2017