“Just keeps getting better...”

Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 19 March 2009

This is our fourth year travelling to Xanadu, and that in itself says that we like the place. This year we found more reasons to like the place. The reason its a great place first and foremost is the staff. But its what the staff does besides being friendly and cheerful that's great. They pay attention to the little things-- like selling water & beer next to the towel room, free shower soap dispensers in the showers, and an alarm clock you can plug your ipod into. That was all new, and kind of brilliant because its not big changes, but its the perfect thing to let you enjoy your vacation a little bit more.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank astrida
There are newer reviews for Xanadu Island Resort

Reviewed 17 March 2009

For our Belize vacation, there were so many options of things to do and places to stay that I agonized for a long time over my decisions. In the end, I decided on staying 3 nights in the Cayo at the Maya Mountain Lodge (outside San Ignacio) and 4 nights at Xanadu on Ambergris Caye. My decisions were based a good bit on Tripadvisor ratings, reviews, and pictures (as usual), but also on the customer service I received from the staff via email in corresponding about the resorts.
At Xanadu, that service was provided by three wonderful ladies - Stacey, Ingrid, and Shirley. Between the three of them, they answered every question I could think of - not only thoroughly, but promptly as well. At times, it was more of a chat than an email trail because of the speed of the responses. This wonderful service continued when we got to the island.
We flew from the municipal airport in Belize City to San Pedro on Maya Island Air. No problems there - even got to ride in the copilot seat on the way over. A taxi at the airport took us to Xanadu and they paid for the fare.
We were excited to see our beautiful room. From the pictures on the web, I didn't realize that all of the units are the same - thought they varied in layout/size. They don't and there's nice views from all of them, so don't be concerned about which one you're getting unless you just absolutely have to see the ocean hitting the sand. The layout was perfect for us, since we have two small kids who don't like sharing a bed. And the dual bathrooms were great to have also. Furnishings were very nice and comfortable, and all the windows in front were great to see our surroundings.
I had pre-booked two tours through Xanadu - a snorkeling trip with Lil Alphonse to Hol Chan Marine Reserve on the morning of our first full day and a full day fishing / beach bbq lunch / snorkeling boat trip with Captain John Murray. Our first morning, Alphonse came to pick us up and take us out snorkeling. We picked up a few others and motored out to the park. Alphonse and his partner Ellis were great. They showed us everything we needed to know and were very nice. Alphonse is an amazing guide in the water - he named off many fish for us. We saw nurse sharks, turtles, eagle rays, huge schools of all different kinds of fish - the best snorkeling experience I've had. Something to note, though, was that the water was not very warm - actually cold in some parts. More about that later.
We spent about an hour at the first stop and then got back in the boat to ride to Shark Ray Alley. Alphonse warned us up front that they hadn't been seeing many nurse sharks in the morning, and though I saw one when we first got in the water, it swam away and we only interacted with the rays for that trip. Also, though my 6 year old son is a great swimmer and enjoyed the first snorkeling stop, he got so cold that he didn't want to come in the second stop. On the way back, I decided to see if we could rent him a wet suit and come back later in the trip. Ingrid checked on that when we returned and we confirmed it was possible ($12). I reserved a second trip for the afternoon of our last full day (which I had decided before to leave open). The rest of the day was spent in Xanadu's pool and getting groceries. There are two stores right at the end of the street where Xanadu is - I'd recommend them instead of the big supermarket, as the prices there are super high. Or just go out. We didn't, but there are obviously a lot of good places and they can't be much more than our groceries ($300 for 3 days).
The next day, we had our boat trip with John Murray. This was perhaps the only mild disappointment of our trip, as I think I had expected a bigger boat - a little more luxury for our $375 trip. However, John is a great guy and did everything he could to give us a fun day. Me and the kids tried our hands at reef fishing and brought in enough for lunch, which John prepared on a deserted stretch of beach over an open fire. Wow - what a meal! During fishing, the kids got a bit sea sick and I gave them some medicene I had bought from the store that morning. My daughter pulled out of it, but my son continued to feel poor and eventually had an episode that resembled heat stroke and we had to return to the hotel. Note to visitors, remember the strength of the sun and that kids don't always communicate their status clearly until it's past the point of being a problem. By the time we got back to Xanadu, he was on the mend. My wife encouraged me to make the most of the rest of the remainder of the tour by going out for a little snorkeling at the reef in front of Xanadu, where John took me for a while. It's nice out there - more rough than other places we went, but great coral and fish and I caught a great picture of a spiny lobster.
While we were at Xanadu, we also checked out their nature walk / bird sanctuary. It was a fun walk around, though we didn't see any birds (we were probably making too much noise). We did find a bunch of hermit crabs in the fig trees, which was a cool find!
Our last full day, we got my son the wet suit and went out with Alphonse again. We again had a great snorkel at the first stop and then saw many sharks at the Alley on the second stop. Alphonse even caught one for us to hold and get pictures. Fantastic!
The trip ended smoothly with Xanadu making the arrangements for our taxi return to the airport. Everyone was very nice and I would definitely recommend it to anyone planning to go to Ambergris Caye!
The next day,

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank hokie_dad
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Myself and a friend did a girls' week away to Belize Feb. 16-20, 2009. Xanadu was wonderful! The resort itself was clean, with a wonderful view, and had all the amenities you could want (wireless internet, bikes to borrow, IPOD players/chargers, fully equipped suites, maid service, etc.) Probably the best part of everything was the staff. They did everything they could to make our stay easy and fun, from planning tours, to making restaurant reservations, etc. They were also incredibly nice and helpful when we were in the planning/booking stages, even customizing a package for us. The price was slightly more than other places we were looking at, but I doubt those other places could have been as nice and friendly, plus the staff at Xanadu did help us work within our budget. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a place to stay in Belize!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank BombaNC
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed at Xanadu Jan 31 thru Feb 7. We had a 2 bedroom unit #10. The unit was very clean and all the utilities worked fine. Shelly and Martin were always around and available if you needed anything. All the staff was very helpful.

We had a great time. Using the bikes (no charge) was a great way to get around during the day. The resort is about 25 minutes (walking) south from the main town of San Pedro. The Internet worked great. Bring a very long data cable so you reach the data port on the wall to the desk/table.

Grocery stores – There are two stores right outside the resort. This will allow you to compare prices and I would recommend you do.

We used Ecologic divers for our scuba diving. I would highly recommend them. They basically spoil you. The best thing is that their master divers have cameras and they send you (at no charge) pictures of the dive to you that same day!! The guys are very personable and fun.

The scuba trip to the Blue Hole, in my opinion, wasn’t really worth it. I think the scuba diving at the local reef was much better and was only a 5 – 10 minute boat ride versus 1 ½ hours to the Blue Hole (& very bumpy). You must do Hol Chan and Esmeralda dive sites. They “chum” the water so you get to see nurse sharks (harmless), sting rays and Moray eels. Lot’s of fun.

Restaurants – We loved Elvi’s – their Friday Buffet is $25 but it’s worth it. Their regular menu is very good as well. We also enjoyed El Patio. Their frozen drinks were huge!! They were the only place we found that add a 10% tax – didn’t understand if that was their tip or not – no other place did that. We had pizza at Pirates pizza – very good value and tasted great.

We watched the superbowl at the Stadium – their chicken wings with ranch was fantastic. Don’t order the nachos – very small portion. It was a blast watching it with all the other people. They had a projector system so it made it easy to watch the game. I saw that several other bars had projector systems for these types of events.

I would suggest paying cash at the restaurants. Bring traveler checks - Xanadu will cash them for you. The exchange fees are kinda high on the credit card bill.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank VegasPat44
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Like other travelers who have posted reviews on this resort, my family had a geat experience. This resort had the best customer service of any place I have ever stayed. Courteous, professional, and determined to make sure guests have a great vacation. Maintenance staff are first rate and very friendly. The front desk is well organized and will take care of anything you need -- they make good recommendations and take care of logistics for any excursion you want to take.

It is the only resort we noticed on the island that has retained a lot of palm trees and vegetation on the grounds so you feel secluded in a natural setting. The units are very nice, with a wonderfully equipped kitchen, comfortable living space, and very expansive porches. There is also a outdoor grilling area -- you can sign up for the very nice Weber gas grill to prepare your dinner (which you may want to consider doing some nights because restaurants on the island are pricey).

I would recommend a visit to this resort for any family that wants to relax in a home-like setting and for people who want to scuba dive, snorkel, or go fishing. The fishing and reef live up to the hype, although there is some damage to the reef. The only negative to this vacation destination in my experience was the trash problem in San Pedro -- a situation not unique to this Carribean destination, alas...

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank MISnowbird77
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Date: Janurary, 2009
Reviewer: A guess
I have just returned from a week stay at the Xanadu Resort in San Pedro, Belize. The was layout beautifully with magnificent Palm trees all over the property. The staff which was very experience and provided such incredible service to me. From knowing my name and taking care of the little things like coffee in the room, obtain tours, and every day making certain the the unit was totally clean. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag myself away from the resort to go in to town for shopping and restaurant. It was so warm and busy in town and it was nice to get back to the peace and tranquility of the Xanadu Resort.
The pool is large with a in pool sitting area, could be the wading pool for the kids but mostly fill with adults. The pool attendants were great, cleaning the pool area daily and also the beach area. The beach was private and could rest and enjoy the scenery. Also, at the pool were lounges for laying and getting some sun rays. It also had wireless connections for those of us that could not get away from our laptops and work
This review is the opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rkush
Reviewed 30 January 2009

We stayed here by accident- we were staying at the decent but shabby Caribbean Villas next door and were driven out by fire ants in the bed!

Thank God!

Xanadu is the so amazing. The property is beautiful- shaded by a thicket of lush tropical trees it is tranquil, idyllic, and relaxing. The staff is sweet as honey and so helpful- no attitude which says to me that their boss treats them well. The rooms are so comfortable and has every detail thought out. We visited many hotels in Ambergris during out stay and Xanadu was by far the best with the location, accommodations and service.

• Stayed: January 2009