“Best stay ever!”

Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Our vacation in Xanadu this year was one of the most beautiful. Our unit overlooking the ocean was spacious, very clean with a large porch where every morning we enjoyed our coffee. The sleeping part - beds are wonderfully comfortable. Kitchen is huge and fully equiped cleaned daily. The resort is very quiet and relaxing. Pool is clean, warm ..very pleasant to spend time with a book or laptop. We did not have to worry about anything. Friendly Xanadu staff ( Ingrid, Blanca) advised and booked all our tours. We appriciate their advice when choosing a good restaurant ...very delicious cousine. It is not our first visit in Xanadu and I dare to say...not the last. We'll be back again...and again...and again:):)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank LenkaToronto
Write a ReviewReviews (1,253)

Reviewed 12 November 2010

My daughter had her wedding at Xanadu, and I stayed there, as did most of the wedding party. The resort was great, they knew us by name when we arrived, the accommodations were excellent and very spacious, and the setting was beautiful. The resort is built in tune with the environment-many coconut trees on the grounds-and this gives it a special ambiance. It makes you feel that you are really a part of the island, where in many of the other resorts you could be anywhere.

The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home, and outdid themselves helping with the wedding planning. Ingrid made the reservation process a breeze, and all the staff were exceptional.

The snorkeling, arranged by the office, was fantastic. Alfonso is an excellent guide and his knowledge of the sea life made the experience that much more memorable. Swimming with and petting sharks and sting rays is something I'll never forget.

You couldn't stay at a better place than Xanadu, and I hope to go back

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Racine66
Reviewed 12 November 2010

My sister and I stayed at Xanadu for 5 days/ 4 nights and it is one of the most friendly, beautiful, relaxing places I've ever been. The resort itself is beautiful and natural. All of the rooms are situated right on the beach with palm trees growing in between them. They go to great lengths to insure the natural habitat is preserved. The location of the hotel is perfect. We were a short cab/golf cart ride from town. Many of the restaurants are even walking distance. I was concerned before going that Xanadu doesn't have a restuarant or bar but honestly, I preferred it since it kept the place quiet. The market is close by and Xanadu stocks a few beers by the pool for emergencies. :)

My sister and I drove all the way up north where some of the more "luxury" looking accomidations are and we're really glad we didn't stay there. It's so far from town that you have to take a water taxi to get anywhere. That sounds very inconvenient to me. The staff at Xanadu were also great. Ingrid even kept an eye on us single ladies traveling alone and made sure we were home safely in the morning. They booked tours for us and made restaurant suggestions when asked. Our room was great too. We somehow got an upgrade into a two bedroom (not sure how, but not complaining). The rooms aren't "modern" but they're very comfortable and the beachy feel is great. The beds were surprisingly comfortable. San Pedro itself is a wonderful island. I would recommend it to anyone, couples, groups, families.
My sister and I particularly enjoyed the following things, which I recommend to all of you!
Rent a golf cart (way worth it). We even had our own bar crawl in the thing!
The fish tacos at Palapa Bar. BEST.EVER. Plus the bar is a must see. It's basically a bar on a dock out over the ocean. Way cool.
Cave tubing/Zip Lining. My sister and I took a tour to the mainland. It was a lot of fun. We opted to do the boat guided tour instead of flying because we'd already taken so many flights. I would DEFINITELY opt to fly next time. The trip to get to the caves is so long and exhausting as it is. BUT it's worth it to go.
Shopping the local stores. We found a lot of cute little trinkets. I really enjoyed that part.
Breakfast at Estelle's. Very cute place on the beach. The food was good too.

Really, I loved everything about San Pedro. No wonder so many Americans live there now. I would definitely go back and I wouldn't stay anywhere but Xanadu. I love how laid back and friendly everyone was. A+ from me!

PS. There wasn't much to the "nature walk" thing. I think the only nature I saw was insects. :)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robin0879
Reviewed 9 November 2010

My niece referred my sister and I to Xanadu Island Resort for our vacation stay. Are we glad she did! Xanadu is a very beautiful hotel. Ingrid and all of the staff made us feel very welcome. The rooms and grounds of the hotel are very clean. We loved the tropical setting and ocean view. The pool area is also very tropical and beautiful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Ambergris Caye. I will definately stay here again.

Be sure to check out Crazy Canucks Beach Bar which is only a walk down the beach from Xanadu. Fun place to hang out and party!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I can only repeat what everyone else says on this website about this resort. It was positively awesome. The resort grounds were immaculate and beautiful. The rooms were very comfortable (great AC) and the beds were also very comfy! The well equipped kitchen was spotlessly cleaned every day. The deck was one of my favorite spots. We loved LOVED the hammock!
But all of this pales in comparison to the treatment you receive from the staff. They upgraded our room which was a lovely surprise. We could see the ocean from our deck and the spiral staircase in the room was pretty cool! They left us a treat in the fridge along with a Happy Anniversary note (we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary while we were there.) When ever we wanted to book an excursion it was done quickly and notes were left in our room with necessary information as we were out exploring alot.
And they follow up to be sure you return safely (sorry guys!) and that you enjoyed the tour.
I cannot say enough about the personal attention we received from the staff there. Blanca, Ingrid, Jamil and Orlando and everyone else: I consider you all a friend and cannot wait to return someday. (soon I hope!)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annefw
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My wife and I had an excellent stay at Xanadu even through hurricane Richard. The buildings are constructed cement domes that can withstand a category 3 hurricane so we felt very safe. In addition the staff updated all of us every hour or so with both written and verbal notices. Speaking of the staff, everyone to a person were 100% into customer service and satisfaction but special thanks to Ingrid and Orlando!! Also there is 24-7 security so you are safe, the city is safe and we had no problems and the people, all of them, were the most friendly people I have met in our travels.
The accomodations were perfect; comfortable bed, well equiped kitchen, etc. I was particularly impressed that the resort had TV with over 100 channels, mostly U.S. so we were able to watch TV through the hurricane...yes they have back-up generators.
Some tips: Get your beer and coke at the distributor up the street, take any medicine you need a small bottle of Tylenol was $4 U.S so think ahead, also I could not find snacks that were not over priced like a bag of potato chips was $7 and I wished I had taken the small pkgs of Crystal Lite to put in the water we used out and about. RENT A GOLF CART!!! a trip into town is a trek besides my wife is disabled so it was a must have. Eat at Waraguma it looks like a hole but it is great and the seafood platter is enough for 2 at $12 U.S. You can book trips yourself over the internet which is cheaper or have the resort do it for you...they do know the best and most reliable people; trust their judgement.
Next year we will stay there for the whole Belize trip; went to San Ignacio and stayed at Windy Hill Resort and were miserable!!!!! The right way to do Belize (for us) is to stay at Xanadu and take trips from there since most of what you want to do is close to Belize City and a $30 water taxi for 2.persons.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I have been on many vacations but have never felt compelled to write a review. After booking a number of resorts online, sight unseen, I've always been a little apprehensive upon arrival - wondering if things were really as nice as they seem online. Each time, there have been a few, or more, disappointments. This time, I can honestly say there has not been a single disappointment. Xanadu is honestly as beautiful as it appears online. I had read the reviews about the staff and wondered if they could really be that nice and helpful. And they absolutely are. We were surprised upon arrival with an upgrade to an oceanview room. Jamil, Ingrid, Blanca and everyone else who helped us were gracious and helpful with every detail. What an asset they are to this business!

The pool and grounds were spotless. Our suite was immaculate and cleaned promptly and thoroughly each morning. Anything we wanted or needed, was either supplied or we were directed to it.

I am certain we will be back to Xanadu. It was a glorous week in paradise......

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple