“Turn back now, while you still can...it's the "Ramshackle Inn", mon.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Xaman Ek Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Xaman Ek Resort & Spa
Ranked #48 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Turn back now, while you still can...it's the "Ramshackle Inn", mon.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Ramshackle: Likely to fall to pieces; so poorly kept up that disintegration is likely; rickety

We decided to re-name this resort the "Ramshackle Inn", and with good reason.
I was looking forward to the seclusion and quiet of Xamen Ek for my husband and I's diving trip, but we were sorely disappointed. First of all, the website (both pictures and information) are very outdated. It is very obvious that Mike (the owner) has let the place go. There was mold and dirt in the common areas (most of the light fixtures had dirt collecting in the bottom of them). Mike also passed on quite a bit of falsified information to us, both before we arrived and while we were there--we are both divers, and since his website boasts Scuba Steve as the local divemaster, we used that information to choose this resort. Mike told us via email that "we can figure out the diving when you get here" and upon arrival, we were told that Scuba Steve moved to a different resort because he wasn't getting business at Xamen Ek. Mike did recommend White Sands resort and dive shop, which was excellent, but we would have stayed there had we known. We both wish we would have rented a golf cart because the resort was very far away from town, but we were able to get there via the boat ferry, though that took about 45 minutes each way. We also discovered 3 nearby resorts that had menus significantly less in price than the resort restaurant. In fact, Portofino (1 resort to the north) actually let us use their swimming pool, towels, and snorkeling equipment at no charge, and we spent as much time there as possible. While the food at Xamen Ek was pretty good, they were often out of things because "it was the off season", and the kitchen was very unclean. We were able to find someone to get us a drink 1 time in the entire week we were there, and we eventually gave up and hung out at Portofino's pool and bar. The gardens are very beautiful, but the junk and trash that accompanies the plants do not exactly enhance the beauty. Finally, the rooms---we stayed in one of the poolside cabanas. Evidently, a couple coming to the hotel 3 days after us were much more important and got the more updated cabana--when we arrived, our cabana did not even have toilet paper. There were 3-4 leaky holes in the roof, including one that was nearly as large as my head. The staff had to be aware that they were there when we arrived, because the furniture was arranged in a fashion that made absolutely no sense...but avoided all the water leaks, so when it rained, the water simply pooled on the floor. The shower hadn't been cleaned in months, the bugs overtook everything, and the shower drain had pieces of metal shards sticking out of it. The website boasted queen size beds, and instead we were greeted with a full bed that was full of bugs and slightly softer than a piece of plywood. The resort boasted wireless internet, yes, but when we used it to stream music in the room, Mike asked us to stop because it slowed it down too much.
Mike recommended some excellent tours and experiences, and we very much enjoyed that part, but we tried to spend as little time at the resort as possible. I realize that the resort was relatively inexpensive compared to some other neighboring resorts, but I would have gladly paid extra to know that we didn't have to haul all of our valuables everywhere we went because we didn't feel safe leaving them in the room. I would have probably give this resort a "fair" rating (because the location is beautiful, even if there is no beach), if it weren't for the misinformation we were given before we left and during our stay. Perhaps once someone else buys the resort and fixes it up (give it at least a year, trust me), it will be a nice place again, but right now, stay away. When we told locals where we were staying, we were smirked and laughed at quite a bit, and with good reason. We didn't let our resort influence our vacation to Belize--the country is beautiful, and the people are very friendly. However, we could have found a much nicer resort for the same price. Trust me....go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ctinkham
Vash83, Manager at Xaman Ek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
I must say that xamanek now has a new management and a new restaurant and spa going
now open here at our location is Jambel Jerk Pit with affordable prices and the quality is on the high end.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tyler TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

This was actually my second stay. I stayed here last year, and came back again this year because of the great service and location.
The owner, Mike, is very friendly... it feels more like staying with an old friend than at a hotel. The resort is relaxing, scenery is breathtaking. You can easily stroll along miles of beach, almost empty of people finding the perfect shells. Take the kayak provided out to Mexico Rocks (popular snorkeling destination at Ambergris) - you can actually see it from your room! A quick paddle and you are there on your own adventure. The water taxi's come frequently, and it's a quick 15 minute boat trip into town.
Mike has lived there for years, and always has the very best guides leading his excursions. I've snorkeled the reserve many times on trips he's set up - always seeing sea turtles, baracuda, nurse shark, sting rays, eel, sea cucumber - getting to interact and touch most of these creatures with a very experienced guide. The price for this is about $40 per person - about a 3 - 4 hour trip - very reasonable! I also did an all day tour to the Aztec rouines... Lamanai. This was amazing! It's a boat adventure, jungle adventure and temple adventure all in one - exotic birds, monkeys climbing in the boat, crocs, bats.... the guide was just amazing. He prepared an authentic Belizean lunch for us.... it was an experience of a lifetime.
You will not regret booking here.... it was the perfect get away!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Tannersville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2010

Our stay at Xaman Ek provided the perfect start to a week of adventure, exploration, and relaxation. From scuba diving to island cuisine and Belikin beer, we experienced all that Belize has to offer in the comfort of a cozy, user-friendly resort.

My partner and I stayed in one of the beautifully thatched-roof cabanas by the pool. We were greeted by beautiful, fresh-cut flowers in our room. We especially enjoyed the breezy, quiet nights... it was important to catch up on sleep after days full of scuba diving. And slept we did: Xaman Ek is very secluded. No rowdy neighbors here!

Mike and his divemaster Steve both did an outstanding job organizing awesome scuba trips! We got personal attention, stunning dive sites, and invaluable training at an amazing price.

Mike, the owner and operating manager did an incredible job overseeing our stay. He frequently made sure we were comfortable and pointed out all the amenities available to us. Mike also has quite the green thumb! The grounds around the resort are a testimony to Mike's love of gardening... Xaman Ek is surrounded by breathtaking flowers, palms, and other native plants.

We ate a few breakfasts, lunches and one dinner in the Resory restaurant. No complaints! We experienced great service and delicious food. For dinner I ordered a whole fish (red snapper, I believe...) and it was out of this world! Breakfast was the best... Eggs and black beans, served with hot coffee and fresh tropical fruit... Perfection.

Xaman Ek's wonderfully secluded location makes it necessary to catch the water-taxi into San Pedro. Be prepared to pay for the round trip when you want to go into town. (Costs are similar to cab fare in any major city.)

Our favorite parts of our stay at Xaman Ek? Carribean-style breakfast on the beach-front patio, Scuba Steve's scuba trips, relaxing in the hammocks lining the perimeter of the resort, and the bright, tropical flowers!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmsvln
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

For the 4th time, I visited Xaman Ek and am planning my return trip in October.
I love this place. Seclusion, caring staff, beautiful views, close to great dive spots, complete services offered at one location and great personal attention from the owner!

I'll keep going back to this island secret!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

Mike greeted us on the docks in San Pedro with a big smile. We were staying at the Xaman Ek for three nights, and attended a wedding at a nearby resort which was booked. We felt fortunate to have stayed at the Xaman Ek. Mike was a very pleasant and thoughtful guy, who provided us with some great conversation. Anything we needed was attended to, right down to a crib for our six month old little girl, and bananas for her to eat.

The food we had were great. Conch omelette is a must ... pina coladas are also a must try!

I'd go back to the Xaman Ek again just to visit Mike. He's a chill guy who cares greatly about his guests.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mirahan
Statesboro, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

If you are looking for a place where you will be waited on hand and foot then stay away! My fiance and I were looking for a honeymoon location to just relax for a few days and not be bothered by anyone...which was exactly what we found. When you want a beer you go in the fridge grab a beer and leave the bottle cap in your cup to be counted and paid at the end of the stay.
The beer policy directly reflects Mike (the owner's) personality- he is laid back! If you have any issues he isn't going to come running immediatly to fix it. He will sit with you have a beer with you and chat about the island, but he runs a small joint where the cabanas have thatched roofs and back up to the bush- so if you see some small furry friends scurrying arund your roof or some bugs on the floor, he isn't going to say much other than- 'well we're in the wild out here' or 'I can maybe try to put some traps out.'

If you are looking for a beautiful beach to lay on, stay away...the beaches aren't very big or particularly beautiful on the entire island because of the reef. Access to San Pedro is slightly limited. We had a water taxi pass included with our package, but the company had gone out of business. Mike did his best to accomodate us on that issue but it is about a 20 minute ride. We were happy with our one day that we spent walking around town and didn't need anymore than that.

So far the review sounds fairly negative, but my wife and I had an AMAZING time here. Bessie and Merrium in the kitchen were fantastic. The meal schedule was a little varied since we were the only two staying at the resort and occasionally the kitched staff would be working on other projects, but we never waited long and when we did wait the food was always worth it. For such a small operation we were amazed at the variety and quality available for breakfast lunch and dinner. Bessies homeade bread is not to be missed. My wife was partial to the homemade belgian waffles with banana's but my personal favorite was the french toast made with Bessies bread.

Ebony's spa treatments left me in some sort of elevated state of consciouness. Her little cabana sits about 10 yards from the ocean with a window facing that direction so that the cool ocean breeze lends a hand massaging out any ounce of stress that might be left after 2 days of sitting in a hammock on the ocean. Get some spa time included in your stay!

We did have some time with Scuba Steve as well, a true Islander who took us on a little scuba diving adventure. After about 30 minutes in 3 feet of water Steve felt we were ready for the reef- my wife wasn't so convinced, so she waited on the boat while Steve took me to the reef for a 30 minute dive- I've never been before and I could not stop marvelling at the scenery! When we got back to shore we realized that there had been a miscommunication in regards to what was included in our honeymoon package. We were supposed to have paid extra for the scuba, but when I told Mike that I felt like he had made it sound like it was included he took care of the issue with no extra cost to us.

Steve then proceeded to take me out on the water kayak to fish for lobsters with him and his trusty harpoon- a truly local experience that you will never get staying at a big resort. After fishing my wife and I sat on the dock with him while he cleaned up 10 lobster tails and several conchs- he even offered us two fresh lobster tails even though I didn't do any of the work catching them.

The weather was perfect while we were there despite consistently warm and humid days, the ocean breeze was pretty constant and made it feel cooler than Oralndo FL at the same time of year. The bugs stayed away as long as the breeze was present- the few times where it faded we needed to retreat inside or at least fight back with a little bug spray.

Overall we were very pleased with our relaxing island gettaway.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

We recently finished a five-night stay at Xaman Ek, and it was pretty disappointing. As some previews reviews have noted, the owner, Mike, is just a very strange person.

But Mike's biggest problem is that he just doesn't know what good is. This is a very small operation, with two full-time women who act as cooks, housekeepers, servers and gardeners. They aren't especially personable, and we usually felt uncomfortable when ordering breakfasts (which was free, but I'll touch on this later) because the women always acted as if we were bothering them. Also, Mike spent much of his time trying to convince us that the on-site restaurant had the best food on the island. The food is average at best, and it's overpriced. Two bland sandwiches cost $25 US, and breakfast each day was cooked poorly, with ingredients that seemed to come from a can. They also frequently ran out of key ingredients, such as tortillas and bananas. Still, Mike said again and again that there was really no point in going to another restaurant, in San Pedro Town or near the resort, because very few places matched up with his kitchen. This, of course, wasn't true; we found some terrific places (Rojo, Ak'bool in the north, and Jambel and Blue Iguana in town), and the restaurant at Xaman Ek was firmly in last place among the places we tried. That didn't stop Mike from his unusual sales pitch. He went so far as to insist that the neighboring restaurants have tried to poison his guests just to even the playing field. How do you respond to something like this?

Regardless, we experienced our share of issues over those five days. The first 24 hours, though, were the most interesting. Here's a list of things we experienced in our first day on Xaman Ek:

- A scorpion in the bathroom towels.
- A broken air conditioner in one of the bedrooms of our two-bedroom suite. It was about 90 degrees each day, so the AC was a must. We tried opening the windows, but ...
- The screens don't fit the windows, and mosquitoes come through the openings. So, sweat through the night or itch? What a debate to have at 4 a.m. We switched rooms on the second day, which was easy because we were the only guests at the property the entire time we were there.
- The electricity went off for most of an afternoon. This was a problem throughout the northern part of the island, but when we asked Mike what the issue was with the electricity, he replied with: "Well, it's off" and offered nothing else.
- When we insisted on going into San Pedro Town, Mike encouraged us to use his friend, Armando, for the 15-minute boat ride in. This was $30 US each way, which is very expensive, and Mike said it was much cheaper than the water taxi (This is true only if you're going to go into town once. A week-long pass would've saved us a good bit of money). Armando dropped us off, and we ate dinner, saying we'd call him when we were ready to head back to Xaman Ek. I called him, and he said to meet him at the boat in 15 minutes. When we reached the boat, Armando was gone, and in his place were two early-20s men, who appeared to be drinking alcohol when we reached the boat. They took us back to the resort, but not before some apprehension on the leap of faith we were giving these drinking strangers long after dark.
- Before we went into town, Mike warned us that we should be careful in San Pedro because tourists are frequently offered cocaine. He said that if we so much as expressed interest, we would be arrested. I assured him that this wouldn't be a problem, but he warned us anyway.
- After two of us ordered breakfast on our first morning, Mike insisted that breakfast was not included in our deal. He argued with us, saying it would be an additional cost, until I asked him to pull our reservation. Sure enough, it was included, and Mike backed off -- but not before that confrontation.
- When one of our friends received her huevos mexicanos, there were two rocks in the black beans. Rocks. Mike said he was embarrassed but that "things happen."

Remember, this is just in the first 24 hours! Things did improve slightly after we confronted Mike with a list of these concerns, but the service was still very poor. Neither Mike nor the staff ever asked if we needed anything or if there was anything they could do to make our stay more enjoyable.

Yes, there are a few good things here. Scuba Steve, the property's contracted dive and snorkel guide, is amazing. If he or someone like him were part of the full-time staff, this property would be much better. The location is terrific and quiet, if you can come to terms with the fact that you're a 15-minute boat ride from the center of town. It's close to the Mata Grande grocery store, and you can either walk the 15 minutes south along the beach to load up on beers and burritos, or email them for free delivery. Mike does keep the property fairly clean. It's not perfect, such as a rusted and old refrigerator, but it's fine. It's because of these things that we're giving Xaman Ek two stars.

If it were based on service alone, it would be much worse. We enjoyed our time on Ambergris Caye, but only after we resigned ourselves to the fact that Xaman Ek wouldn't be the curve we graded it on.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sea_Pappy
, Owner at Xaman Ek Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
We are very sorry that these guests did not enjoy their stay. The reason was they wanted to be closer to town and made the wrong choice of hotel and have chosen to lie about their stay because i did not refund their money.
I picked them up in town and they checked in in the early afternoon. The electricity went off for about 2 hours in the afternoon. I explained to them how the remote location lead to power outages and the crews immediately went out looking for the fault but there was no way to know for sure the duration as we did not know the cause but usually the outages were corrected in a few hours at most. I also gave them a battery lantern in case they came home from town and it was still off. Fortunately it came back on before they left for town. It was not at all as they represented.
They, two couples, wanted to go to town as do some of my guests. On the first night I told them that most of my guests did not go to town that much and the $75 gold card was only worthwhile if you intended to go to town a lot. At their request I sent them to town the first night with Armando and told them that after they had seen the town they would know if they intended to go to town frequently or not. I told them they could return that evening on Coastal Express and if they wanted to buy gold cards they could at that time. They chose not to.
Regardless of what they say Armando was and is the best deal for 4 persons at $30 US each way and its an anytime charter.. They continued to request his services. One trip he was not available and I could find no one cheaper than $35 US and I will assure you his staff does not drink and drive.
The restaurant advice I gave was accurate but not as they stated, I referred them to several restaurants as its fun to eat at different places when you are on vacation. I never claimed that other restaurants poisoned my guests, that is ridiculous as they are all my friends and we do spa services for our neighboring resorts as well.
The first night they were here they went to town and did not return till late. The next morning they approached me in a very offended fashion and said the AC had failed in the night and the screens were allowing mosquitoes in and they had seen a scorpion on the floor of the bathroom and they wanted their money back. I told them I would have the AC repaired by afternoon and they said that was not good enough so I changed them immediately to another room where they stayed inside with the AC going for most of their stay.
From the first day they brought in their groceries as do some and did not use the restaurant at all except for the breakfast that is included in their room rate. When they checked in I mistakenly told them it was not included as I did not remember the rate they had paid. When they asked about it in the next morning I checked my records and confirmed that breakfast was included, took about 30 seconds. There was no confrontation or argument of any kind.They never ate lunch or dinner in the restaurant ever. They also never ate at Rojo's as the claimed. North Ambergris Caye is not the best place for a budget traveler. Usually my guests let me know if something is wrong and I fix it, as I did with these guests. They emailed me to mail eye glasses they left and told me how much they enjoyed their stay. The old rusty refrig is also not so.

Bessie has been with me for 10 years, long before I bought this place and Miriam for over a year. Bessie is an excellent well trained cook. They are very nice gentle people that have a lot of pride in their work as do I. The guests did find 2 rocks in the beans as the girls had missed them and they were very embarrassed at their mistake. Fortunately the rocks were very large and no one bit them. The stuff about poorly cooked food out of a can is just not true we make all our bread and tortillas and make ever order fresh with no prepared ingredients at all. After the first day they complimented me on Bessie's cooking. The girls do not do the gardening but do pick fresh flowers for the rooms everyday.
We happily dealt with their few complaints but they showed no signs of wanting to socialize. They simply chose the wrong place, they needed to be in town where the action is and not relaxing on a private beach, which they never did.
We could never understand why they had picked us, they stayed inside with the AC running for most of their stay and we are a very outdoors place with lots of wildlife and snorkeling etc. They refused to turn off their AC's when they left which was also a bit off by our standards as we are environmentally very aware. We try to respond to our guests needs and desires and leave them alone if they want to be left alone, which seemed to be the case this time. It is summer and we do have high humidity and 90 degree weather which made them very uncomfortable.
I am in the hospitality industry by choice, I like meeting all the new people and like helping them come to love Belize as I do. I don't drink and never go to bars. I am very active in our politics and environmental and conservation issues both locally and on the national level and appear on national TV and radio every two weeks discussing issues in Belize so not everyone shares their personal opinion of me.
As our website accurately depicts the place and location I am not sure how they made the mistake they did. We treated them in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
We are a small family here and take great pride in helping our guests have the best time we can and were saddened to read such a distorted review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Pedro
Coco Beach Resort
Coco Beach Resort
#11 of 54 in San Pedro
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,280 reviews

Been to Xaman Ek Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!