All reviews caye reef hot tub full kitchen local calls place to stay great condo two couples living room rooftop jacuzzi water taxi locked gate top floor cool off lazy lizard great rooftop laid back golf cart
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I was here in October. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the apartment here. It is very spacious, very clean and well-furnished. The roof top area offers views of both the sunrise and sunset, Caye Caulker being rather small. Bobbi, the manager, was very helpful and she arranged for me to be picked up at the airport and met me when I landed on the Caye via water taxi. The kitchen was big enough and had all the pots, pans, dishes, etc. to take care of feeding a large family. There was ample bottled water, and coffee. When I come back to Caye Caulker and "go slow" again, I will surely try to book in Caye Reef.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2011

After searching, the reviews decided to spend more money and stay in a nicer place for my first visit to Caye Caulker. I was traveling alone and wanted to make sure that I would be staying in a safe, clean place. CayeReef met and exceeded that basic requirements. Bobbi was helpful with arranging taxi from airport to water ferry and pick up once I arrived at Caye Caulker. CayeReef is at a good location, very close to The Split. I went during the low season so everything was quiet, but I know when things pick up with the start of their busy season, this would be a great location.

I stayed in first floor apartment least expensive of the three choices and closet to pool. The place is huge and probably, not best suited for a single traveler, but more for family or group of travelers. Nevertheless, there is a full kitchen so you have option to cook or eat out. Everything was clean and well decorated. Loved the roof top, hammock and hot tub. Perfect for watching the sun sink down into the ocean and the stars slowly come out. Only complaint was mattresses were super firm, which wasn't my thing, but its a hotel, not home. I get it.

If you're not a backpacker, and a grown up then, you will love staying at the CayeReef, which offers best accomadations and comfort on Caye, if it's worth it to you to pay more.

Room Tip: Save your money and go with first floor apartment. It's a simple walk up a couple of flights to reach top floors. And you still have a small view from 1st floor hammock.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed at CayeReef in April 2011, but I have been holding out on reviewing it b/c I don't want the news to spread. The hotel is excellent-easily the best on the island. While the building itself is somewhat of an eye-sore, the rooms are HUGE and very tastefully decorated. If you are looking for luxury though don't stay here. This is a great self-catering hotel that is clean, comfortable and affordable. If you are looking to get pampered and waited on hand and food this is not the place for you. That being said, Bobby was pretty friendly. My only complaint is that the hot tub is not hot at all, which really isn't so bad since it's about 80 degrees year around. The pool was a nice way to relax after spending a day at the Split. I would highly suggest you stay at a hotel with a pool.

Room Tip: They can arrange a taxi to pick you and take you to the pier. It's expensive, but worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Thanks for the great review and glad you enjoyed yourselves. We ran into a technical problem with the hot tub (which is supposed to be hot - at least in the evenings). It will be on-line again very soon.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

We have traveled to Caye Caulker Island to vacation every other year for 5 or 6 trips now. We have very much enjoyed all the places we've stayed and love all the amazing restaurants! We loved staying at CayeReef a couple years ago and have decided to go back to stay there again. The accommodations are first-rate and we like that they are ecologically concerned.

I've never been so totally RELAXED as when I am on Caye Caulker island! Every time we bring friends with us, they bug us until we book another trip there with them. Too funny.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We stayed in one of the bottom floor apartments and loved it, especially with its direct access to the pool - I swam a couple of times each day. Very clean with modern decor and a comfortable bed. The location is good - close to the split for drinks at Lazy Lizard and fresh BBQ right across the (sand) street. Air conditioning was good as were the ceiling fans, enough water pressure and hot water, plus 5 gallons of fresh water. The local cell phone with 10 free calls really helped out while we were there.

After heading to Ambergris we wished we would have just stayed on Caye Caulker - less traffic, people and mosquitos and much more peace and quiet. Its a very small and friendly island!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple