“Won’t Go Back”

Mama Liz's Kitchen
Ranked #53 of 108 Restaurants in Caye Caulker
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed July 12, 2018 via mobile

Went there a few times but missed breakfast and lunch as they don’t serve dinner. Finally, got to go there. There is no lunch menu, only a breakfast menu:

We ordered one plate (rice w beans, cole slaw and2 sides). That should have been about $5 US) for the plate plus a side. She charged us a total of $11.50 US.

Not wanting to argue, we just paid the tab and left. Just being curious we returned and asked several customers her about her prices. Both sated that each plate was about $4 US dollars. We decided to ask her about her prices. Her reaction was a nervous smirk and she stated “ we don’t really don’t have a lunch menu, we mainly do breakfast” and didn’t ask the question.

$5 dollars is not a lot of money or is going to break the bank - but being dishonest and gouging tourists by charging tourists different prices is a dealbreaker. Not only will I not go by but I am going to tell the resort manager where we are staying not to recommend them to anyone.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed August 24, 2017

I read about this place on a cheap eats blog post. I walked in here to try a Johnny cake. On the first day I came in, I did beans & cheese, and the following day I got one with cheese. They were both great tasting and a great value. The staff was very straightforward, but they got the order right each time.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed February 14, 2016 via mobile

I was so thrilled when I found this place. Food straight from her kitchen and well priced. I love eating like a local.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed February 11, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I had the Johnny cakes with beans, ham and cheese. Weird combination but was very yummy as a breakfast treat. Light and having you wanting more so we had 2 each = 4 for a total of $3.50 USD. They are not large just the right size for 2 to hit the spot. The Johnny cakes are so good I think you can eat them plain and get the same enjoyment. The host was warm and delightful.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed August 28, 2015

We love Mama Lizz too! Jonny Cakes were great for breakfast. Lunch of pork, rice and coleslaw was so yummy and so affordable. Thank you Mama Liz - we will be back!

Date of visit: August 2015