All reviews water taxi the wi fi lobster ocean front the air conditioning large room single room the owner quiet at night the main street comfortable rooms great place to stay small island full kitchen gilbert sunrise belize
Reviewed November 1, 2018

I stayed her back in Feb 2018. Firstly i booked through booking.com and they took the first night payment off my card before i even saw the room. On arrival i discovered the "budget" room i had booked was NOTHING like the pictures - basically a box with external window. Added to this the pool area is not at all as per the pictures and there is huge building work going on - its a building site! The receptionist could not have cared less and told me to "contact booking.com" and insisted she was the only staff member present. I don't think i have ever received such awful customer service at a hotel. Eventually after much insistence she introduced me to the owner who eventually moved my room the next day. The new room was nice but the building work really doesn't make this a nice place to stay! When its finished it could be reasonably good if they get some staff who actually care.
The atmosphere is more hostel than boutique hotel and the location is the best thing about it right now.
Tip - don't book hotels with booking.com!

Room tip: "budget" rooms are awful
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank JoynerJournalsTravel
Reviewed September 8, 2018

AWFUL HOSTEL!!

Summary: Staff was incredibly rude and broke into our locker without telling us.

I was staying here with a friend, and after a day of snorkeling we entered our room just to found out the lock on our safety deposit boxes had been opened and ALL OF OUR STUFF WAS MISSING. Passports, visa, and around 300 euro in cash.

We ran to the security guy outside, who told us the staff had taken our stuff!! However they were in a meeting and we couldn't reach them. In the end a girl who worked at the hostel finally came back. She didn't even make eye contact with us, was angrily yelling to someone on the phone and all she told us to get our stuff and leave the hostel.

Obviously we were super upset, so when she hung up the phone we went to talk to her. It turned out we had forgotten to pay for our room for the upcoming night (we did pay for the night we had already stayed there). Of course we apologized, as we had completely forgotten and had been away all day. However, the way the treated us was extremely rude, and an insane overreaction to what was essentially a late checkout.

Furthermore:
- The hostel is dirty, trashcans are not emptied and the rooms & bathrooms do not get cleaned regularly.
- The reception desk closes at the beginning of the evening, so if anything happens during the night there is no-one to help you.
- The lockers are very small, so a camera or laptop will not fit in there.

Room tip: Don't stay here
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank SofieV588
Reviewed June 18, 2018

Caye Caulker it´s a great place to visit, I did Snokel and I loved it! If you go to Belize you must go to Caye Caulker. Popeyes Beach Resort has great location and really good price. All employees are very friendly. Breakfast included is very basic as they explain to you but at least it´s free

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed February 27, 2018

I booked through booking.com and Popeyes took a direct payment of $103. I cancelled before the booking and was due a full refund but.... nearly 3 months later nothing.
They won't respond to emails. Avoid this place it's a scam.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Emma P
Reviewed February 14, 2018 via mobile

Got a single room at Popeyes which has now changed its name to The Club Caye Caulker. Moving directions to. Hostel environment I would say. There are working on another building so the view for the back rooms will be gone soon but nice room good shower clean room. Very friendly staff that could and would answer any questions you make have. I had a taxi driver names Nick last tear when here and I think his whole family works at this place. Would return to a front room. Nice and quiet, ok internet, location is great down near the water taxis so easy to come and go and great place to start your walk each day. All in all even with the works going on rooms are quiet and the air conditioning will freeze you out of your room

Date of stay: February 2018