All reviewsblue holedive masterdive sitesturneffe atollbelize citygreat divingdive staffscreened in porchfishthe managersdivers and snorkelersother guestsbig birdthe reefsdive tripsnorkel guideremote island
Reviewed March 26, 2017

I just got back from Blackbird Caye and there are only good things to say about this resort. Let me start with don't pay attention to any review prior to 2016 when Brandon and Bernie took over as managers as they have created a warm and enjoyable experience.

Diving - Eddie, Cardinal and Aldo were the best. The boat went out three times a day for one tank dives. The dive sites were typically 10-15 minutes from the dock which meant our surface interval was spent relaxing on the beach or in a hammock instead of sitting on the boat. Instead of anchoring where we would swim into the current and then return seeing the same area twice, we would jump in and swim with the gentle current and see all new areas until we surfaced about an hour later and the boat would pick us up.

We read mixed reviews on the Blue Hole trip which was an extra $240pp. The Blue Hole trip is three dives and a stop at the bird sanctuary with a BBQ. The Blue Hole reminded me of a Greek Coliseum under water. The second dive to the Playground at Half Moon Caye was the most beautiful dive and the sharks were amazing. The final dive to the Aquarium was beautiful as well but my favorite remains the Playground.

I was unsure of the three meals at set times but the food was always plentiful and extremely good. Kurt is the maitre de and was always there to make sure we had whatever we needed and to take our dinner order each day. There was other staff that worked in the dining room and I forget their names but they were also wonderful. We always had plenty of water and our plates would be cleared away as soon as we were done so we could just relax and chat. Breakfast and lunch were usually buffets and there were plenty of items to choose from. Dinner was plated and the choices and presentation were comparable to a NY 4star restaurant. A snack was put out at 5:30 in the Palaypa bar and every day was something different and delicious. I had brought snacks with me just in case and other than eating a bit of my nut mix everything came home unopened.

The rooms were charming and housekeeping did a wonderful job each day and again with the turn down service. Based on reviews I was unsure if the resort provided toiletries but rest assured they do. There was shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, soap and lotion. Beach towels were in each room and on each chair at the pool daily. The dive boat also brought towels for each dive trip. Also, some reviews had said you could not flush the toilet paper but the toilets work just like they do in the states.

The bar - Jose and Oscar are friendly and great behind the bar. We learned a lot about Belize from Oscar and both of them made the evenings fun with their jokes and conversation. Some people have posted reviews about the bar bill at the end of the week. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the prices were very in line with what I pay at home at the local bar. We all enjoyed the varieties of Belikin beer which is the local Belizian beer as well as mixed drinks. The prices were all posted so there was no surprise for us at the end of the week.

Each hut has lounge chairs in front of it on the beach and cushions were put on each day. They are your own private chairs which was great. The beach does have seaweed which washes in but every morning the staff was out there raking it up and removing it.

There was no cell service and limited wifi which we knew going there. It was nice to be able to disconnect from technology and work for a week. The office does have a nice sitting area with sofas so if you need to connect you have a comfortable place to sit while doing it. Our daughter stopped in there a few nights just to post a few pictures and had no problems but the connection is slower than in the states and you cannot download large files. You do need to bring a cellphone or alarm clock as there are no clocks in the resort. The only reason we used our cellphone was for the time feature to make sure we made it to the boat in time for each dive. Once we were off the boat for the last dive we usually showered and headed to the bar to relax with everyone before dinner. With today's technology you go to a bar or restaurant and see people focused on their phones and iPads and not talking to each other....at this resort everyone socializes.

We had a scuba package so we did not go on any of the snorkeling trips but the people who did go on the snorkeling trips all came back as excited about what they saw as those of us who went diving.

There were other staff members at the resort who I have not mentioned here but it is only because I did not get everyone's name. They were all as wonderful with the smile on their face and their helping us with anything we needed so I do not want them to go unrecognized.

We will definitely return to Blackbird Caye as the entire experience was wonderful.

Room Tip: We had the least expensive room and felt that it was wonderful.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ElizabethNewYork2016
BlackbirdCayeResort, Guest Relations Manager at Blackbird Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2017

You spent a lot of time on your TripAdvisor review and we thank you for that. You seem to have taken away a sense, that people and their experience is what make up a Blackbird Caye trip, and you couldn’t be more right. We share magnificent sites that nature has provided, and we get to come back and enjoy a delicious meal together and share our stories back on shore. We appreciate your acknowledgement of our team’s hard work, and you can be sure we will share those sentiments. We hope you will find your way back to us someday.

Reviewed March 26, 2017

Beginner to Advanced this is "spectacular" dive resort, to use the words of the highly competent manager/dive instructor Brandan. Bernie the second part of the managing couple is so sweet and attentive to your every need. Please disregard any reviews prior to their takeover about 15 months ago as this duo has brought this place to operate like a well oiled machine. I can not identify any area of service that needs upgrading. Each staff member was enthusiastic and obviously devoted to exicuting their tasks with your pleasure in mind. I realize the Staff gains merit by being named in these reviews but I know there would be someone I forget so I would like to give the staff as a whole an A+ rating. I would be remiss if I did not give a shout out loud to those I had the most contact with, Kurt and Mira in the restaurant, my boat Captan Aldo and Dive Masters Cardinal and Ed were impeccable. I have to give a special thanks to Ed as he was our personal dive guide of a group of six. Ed is a native and a true lover of the sea, if you like the detail and the micro culture of the reef Ed is your man and a gentleman.
I must admit I had some trepidation of being at a remote location, will the food be good and plentiful, can you drink the water, is it safe, will I get bored? I must tell you from the moment I stepped on the resort none of that was an issue. As a diver the schedule of 7am breakfast followed by 8am boat departure with a return to the dock for surface interval followed by an 11am dive and 1 pm lunch was perfect and very comfortable not being stuck on the boat all morning. For the hard cores the 2:30pm dive got you back in time to shower and head to the Palaypa Bar for happy hour and fresh ingredient delightful cocktails served by mix masters Jose and Oscar. For you beer lovers the Belikin Stout met my pleasure as I have a stronger taste while my wife enjoyed the lager and I heard the lighthouse was good for the light drinkers.
O.K. Last but not least, how was the diving? AWESOME! Every site was unique and viveatious. Almost all were drift dives which I find more enjoyable as you don't have to back track over the same area again and you don't have to worry finding the boat as it follows you. If your new to this type of dive and are nervous about it, don't be, you dive master will not put you in a current that is not easily manageable and will never loose sight of you. The Blue Hole is a bucket list dive, those who return to this sight usually don't find the need to venture to the 130' to experience the stalagmites as once you have seen them....... the reefs surrounding the hole are the best I have every seen so even if you don't want to ventur to the depths the trip is worth it! The names of the reefs say it all,"The Aquarium" and "The Playground" hard to beat!
Oh by the way you can flush toilet tissue, the tap water is delicious and you are supplied plenty of towels,soap and shampoo. I was never hungry and had no need to order any additional items from the pool bar menu. I will return!
This is a dive resort so if you want a spa and to gorge yourself in unlimited food and drink don't go here, if you want to immerse yourself in the aquatic world look no further you found paradise!

Room Tip: There are no bad choices all have ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ScubaDCG

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough TripAdvisor review – it’s appreciated! Our team at Blackbird Caye are all very caring and professional individuals, and they not only want to ensure you have a safe time on the water, but a great time once you’re back on shore. We’ll make sure your kind words (and A+ grade) are passed along to all of them, and we look forward to you coming back to “paradise” once again.

Reviewed March 24, 2017

I would recommend this resort to everyone. I left feeling like I had been to paradise. Food was spectacular, food was incredible, the staff very knowledgable, patient, and kind. Rooms were kept clean.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. We also feel like we live in paradise and are fortunate to share that with guests like yourself. We will make sure to share your kind words with our staff, and will look forward to you joining us again someday.

Reviewed March 17, 2017

Spent a week at this resort last month and couldn't have had a better time. The diving was incredible and the friendly staff became like family. It was a treat to see them again each morning at the delicious breakfast buffet. In fact, all the meals served here were wonderful. It was my birthday while we were there and the chef actually took the time to make me one of the best tasting birthday cakes I've ever had. I'd do anything for a piece right now!
It's the extra things like this that make this resort and it's staff so incredible.
The bartenders and dive staff are top notch. Knowledgeable, friendly, funny and will keep you alive underwater. The dive staff, not the bartenders.
I was told the snorkeling was amazing, but I was there to dive. If you come here for the diving, you won't be disappointed. It's world class! All the dive sites are located near the resort, so it's really nice to dive, return to the resort to relax/snack/etc then head back out to dive again.
Something everyone visiting this resort should know: I went on this trip debating on if I wanted to do the famous Blue Hole dive. Its an additional charge and I had read some negative reviews about the dive site itself. Please, don't make the mistake of skipping this dive! It was one of the most AMAZING things I've ever done. There are three dives on the Blue Hole trip and they were all incredible. The second dive of the day (Half Moon Caye) is probably the best dive I've ever done. If you don't know about Half Moon Caye, look it up. I would have seriously regretted not taking part in this once in a lifetime experience. The entire day was unbelievable!
As far as the resort itself, the rooms are comfortable, clean and the air conditioner cold. The hammock on your porch is great place to relax!
If you're looking for the Four Seasons or Ritz, this isn't the place for you. If you enjoy true island life, great food, friendly people, cold cocktails and beautiful diving, you'll love it here.
It's funny, but I actually miss the food and the staff. Thank you all for such an amazing time!
Hopefully I can visit again some day.
SOON!!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sean S
BlackbirdCayeResort, Guest Relations Manager at Blackbird Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2017

Thank you for the very enthusiastic TripAdvisor review – we really appreciate it! We’re an intimate resort, so we treat our guests like family. We too miss it when you leave and look forward to your return. That’s what making someone a birthday cake is a meaningful gesture – because it’s authentic. We love to have a good time, but we are very serious when it comes to diving and taking care of our guests. It doesn’t mean we can’t love our diving experiences, but we are all seasoned professionals. We have to agree with you about the Blue Hole dive. It’s one of the most magical places on the planet and it will humble you in the face of nature. We’re glad it and Blackbird Caye had such an effect, and we look forward to you returning someday.

Reviewed March 17, 2017

First I will start with some good stuff. Most of the dive sites are very nice. We were able to see many things that are not typical for us. We captured underwater video of a Great Hammerhead almost right in front of the resort. It was beautiful and a little scary at the same time. We had several encounters with Loggerhead Turtles both large female and one very large probably male. We encounter an abundance of other typical Caribbean Sea life from turtles to sharks to rays of all sorts. All the way down to the tiniest of crabs shrimp to a very tiny pipe fish.

I went for the diving so much of this information is just that, information.

Internet basically will work for 1 or 2 people at a time and is very slow. Personally my iPhone 7 was only able to connect 2 times in 10 days but the emails I sent never went through. No TV is also fine with me.

The wind and waves were a bit much and combined with the tide pretty much eliminated our ability to dive close to the resort so we did a lot of longer boat rides (20 - 40 minutes). They would still try to do afternoon dives close but overall the conditions were not the greatest. Stupid weather.

Food was in general good. I have an allergy to bell peppers and for the first several days they kept telling me they would simply make a portion of the meal without bell peppers. That did not happen for the first 5 of our 10 days. After that they occasionally made me something without bell peppers but it was not the same as what the other guests were eating and was in general very bland. Again not a huge deal as I am used to this issue. It seams everywhere we go bell peppers are a favorite and are included in about 75% of meals. Still no worries just an FYI.

We stayed in a deluxe room at the very south end of the resort. The room was quiet at night and for the majority of the day. We were overall happy with the room.

Be aware that after purchasing all you beverages and tipping it will most likely cost an additional 10 to 15% than you payed for your trip. Also consider the cost of the Blue Hole trip which, in my opinion is misnamed. It should be called the playground/aquarium trip as the blue hole is cool to look at but a very boring and deep (135 to 140 foot) dive. For many people i would recommend snorkeling the blue hole or just relaxing and focus on the other two dives that day. Unless you are like me and want to be able to say I did that.

My wife and I personally experienced some issues. Some was just bad luck (broken fin strap & high pressure hose broke. Some was resort tank failures. We do not know exactly what the issue was but my who is an air miser (1400 PSI for 60 minutes) jumped in the water with a full tank. She had trouble getting down on the initial entry (she was over buoyant). After only 10 minutes she was down to 1200 so we aborted the dive. in the few minutes it took to reach the surface she was down to 500PSI. We checked to make sure the valve was all the way open (it was) and no major air leaks. After getting on the boat we checked with another pressure gauge and it was completely empty. The next day the exact same thing happened to me except much faster. I noticed my tank loosing air on the descent and we aborted the dive immediately. after getting to the surface we checked with another gauge and again the tank was empty. We nor they have an explanation for this but it ruined a few dives for us.

Some other issues with the diving. When we first arrived on a Wednesday they put us on a boat with 8 other people. Not horrible and we split up under water. After Saturday they chose to take everyone on 1 boat. It was very crowded and I constantly felt crowded in and then rushed to get ready as only one group could get ready at a time. Our groups became larger and there was a great deal of skill mix (very novice with very advanced) within the groups. I have had this happen at Sandals resorts but diving is not their focus. Don't get me wrong everyone was very nice but we did need to end a few dives very early because of individual air consumption (it take a lot of energy to pedal a bike for 30 minutes straight).

Our host managers Brandon and Bernie were great. Very friendly and patient. They seem to have there finger on the pulse of everything at the resort. I would not want there job but they are doing it well. The resort is older and many aspects are in need of aesthetic and mechanical updates however once that is done it will cost more to go so I guess everything considered it a fair price for what we got. Examples of mechanical issues, the water randomly shuts off several times a day, The electricity shuts off once or twice a day. This place is remote and I am sure that it is difficult to maintain. But once you get used to place and know all the ins and outs its pretty awesome

Important to mention also is there is no swimmable beach.

I would like to give them a 5 star rating but they still have some room to grow in to it.

Room Tip: South end is quiet and mid section can be noisier. More walking if your south but not too far. if your flying travel light.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple