We selected Blackbird Caye 15 years ago for our 25th anniversary. It set the bar so high I really doubted it could possibly be as good as the last time. Blackbird Cave was the top of our list for snorkeling, service, and overall experience from 2002 so for our 40th we decided we'd waited long enough. We booked the southern most cabana, used to be #10, now #14. The cabana is spacious, with a living room, bath, bedroom and a screened porch. Blackbird is blessed to be located about 5-30 minutes from so many excellent snorkeling spots that in our 2 weeks total time we haven't seen all of them. The reefs are healthy and the aquatic life is varied and plentiful. The snorkel package includes 2 trips per day. The usual schedule: eat breakfast at 7:00, boat leaves at 9:00, return for lunch at 1:00, boat leaves for second trip at 3:00, return for snacks around 5:30, dinner at 7:00, bar and bed afterward. The food was always excellent with either a choice of 2 items for breakfast and lunch or a buffet. It's usually a buffet but part of the time there were too few guests and it was easier to offer the choice. They always had fresh fruit in addition which doesn't taste the same as home. Fresh picked and sweet. The dinners were always a seafood or non-seafood choice. (Pork, beef or chicken). We usually got one of each so we could try both. Louis, the chef really outdid himself. Fabulous entrees and delicious deserts (even a cake for our anniversary!). Oh and they have a pool bar and snacks to order if you're still hungry. The pool is new since our first visit and was a nice addition. The resort also have a private airstrip if you're not interested in the 1 1/2 hr. boat ride from Belize City. We missed one snorkel trip because of weather. Chris, the snorkel captain who was the only staff member who was still there from 15 years ago seems to know the area like the back of his hand. As an added bonus for us, the Thursday we were there was the opening day of lobster season. I got to spear lobsters! We ate them that evening. I could go on and on! We did an earth hour on a particularly clear evening where all the electricity was shut off to star-gaze. A big hats off to co-managers Brandon and Bernie and the entire staff, Louis the chef, Oscar the bartender, Kirk, the restaurant manager, Chris the snorkel captain, Aldo the dive captain, Maria in housekeeping and everyone else. You all make the magic happed and have it appear effortless. (We know it isn't!) Once again we arrived and met total strangers and left as friends. This is not Sandals or Club Med! It's a dive resort in a perfect location. All cabana's come with complimentary barking geckos!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blackbird Caye is a privately owned Island sitting on The Mesoamerican Reef System - often referred to as the "Jewel of the Caribbean" - it is the largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere with a rich tapestry of vivid corals, mangrove forests, coastal wetlands, and diverse marine wildlife. Within the reef you will find Turneffe Atoll the Caye where the resort is located. Turneffe is the largest and most biologically diverse of the 3 atolls found in the Caribbean home to more than 65 species of stony coral, 350 species of mollusk, and more than 500 species of fish, manatees, dolphins and invertebrates. There are over 70 dives sites all within 10-15 minutes from the resort and 45 minutes to Lighthouse Reef where The Great Blue Hole is located. The resort is made of 19 modern cabanas facing the Caribbean Sea and 1 beach house. The cabanas are all equipped with A/C, fans, private bathrooms, either King or Queen Beds with new comfortable bedding, private porches with chairs and swinging hammocks. Included in the price are your cabana, 3 daily meals, dive or snorkel package, complimentary transfers to the island on Wednesdays and Saturdays and use of the resort's kayaks. We are the only resort on Turneffe with an air strip making it convenient to arrive or depart any other day of the week. Our courteous and helpful staff will always make you feel at home as customer service ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Blackbird Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blackbird Caye Hotel Turneffe Islands
- Blackbird Caye Belize City