All reviews breakfast and lunch blue hole belize city dive master dive sites big bird fish laid back other guests dive staff turneffe atoll served buffet style great diving the managers screened in porch off the beaten path black bird
Reviewed March 6, 2018

I am a non diver so going to a dive resort was a little daunting. I have to say the people at Blackbird Caye resort made it a memorable vacation for both my diver husband and myself. The cabanas were clean and comfortable , Rose and Abigail took care of our needs right down to a chocolate on our pillow.. The layout made it easy to do whatever took your fancy, kayaking, snorkeling, or basking in the sun by the pool, which has a great view of the ocean.

The staff at the restaurant and both bars were so fantastic Jose and Oscar would whip up any libation you could imagine. While Floyd, Luis, and Curt made each meal fun
always something new to try.

My husband the diver enjoyed each of the dives and was pleased with knowledge the dive masters and crews. Would definitely go back and recommend this island paradise.

Room tip: Check your rooms thoroughly any problems were taken care quickly. the biting flies can be nasty be prepared bug spray and itch medicine.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank katefred2018
BlackbirdCayeResort, Director of Sales at Blackbird Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2018

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and always appreciate mention of our staff in such a wonderfully positive light. We hope you will definitely make it back soon for another visit.

Reviewed March 6, 2018

In Feb 2018, I vacationed for the third year in a row at Blackbird Caye. I returned twice because I loved, loved, loved this place, especially its staff, seclusion, and spectacular snorkeling. Chris, Kurt, Oscar, Louis, Jose, Maggie, Abby and Rose are all very warm, talented, hard working, and delightful people, and I've so appreciated all they do to make guests' visits so relaxing and memorable, including my own. I've never been more relaxed on vacation than while snorkeling amidst beautiful coral reef wonders, and while journaling on the screened-in porch of my cabana.

However, this most recent trip will probably be my last. My Feb 2016 visit was great, my Feb 2017 visit was really great, but my Feb 2018 visit left much to be desired because of one main factor, lousy management.

Unfortunately, I agree with much of what WorldDiver4Lyfe and Delynn M wrote regarding the shabby physical state of the place, including inconsistent availability of sink and shower water. I hold the current on-site manager, James, entirely responsible. A year ago, during my Feb 2017 visit, under the stewardship of on-site managers Bernie and Brandon, the facility was in far better shape and the customer service vibes were tops. That's definitely not the case now, however, under James. Not only is James continually falling behind on maintenance and repairs, his communication and hosting skills are sorely lacking. At the start of my most recent visit, I asked how he was finding Blackbird in his first six months on this new job. James replied "different," and when I asked for clarification, he lamented that the resort's very limited wi-fi meant that he couldn't watch Netflix and play video games. That's James' idea of promoting my vacation destination, and his employer, in the highly competitive hospitality industry? Really? So disappointing. And don't even get me started on James' mishandling of all the water issues during the third week of Feb 2018.

To add insult to injury, my suitcase was ruined on the boat ride from the resort back to Belize City. It was placed somewhere near a heat source in the hold of the boat, perhaps the engine. There were extensive burned and melted areas where the suitcase's stitching and fabric were destroyed, and one of the exterior zippers was left in a permanently open position, see photo. Because the crew of Blackbird's boat stowed my suitcase in the hold, and the suitcase was ruined as a result of its stowage, I hold the resort responsible for the cost of a replacement suitcase. I immediately informed Sandra, the U.S. based sales agent, of the situation, by both email and phone, sent multiple photos of the ruined suitcase, and sent info regarding the cost of a new comparable suitcase. When I spoke with Sandra, she empathized with my situation, said she forwarded my email and photos to upper management, and assured me that Blackbird would "make this right." But nothing happened for a week, so I called and emailed Sandra again today, only to be told later by email that "the refund for damaged luggage was denied by upper management."

A lousy on-site manager? And upper management that won't replace a suitcase that its own employees ruined? Sorry, Blackbird. I will dearly miss Chris, Kurt, Oscar, Louis, Jose, Maggie, Abby and Rose. But I can't, and won't, return under those conditions.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank KLB65
BlackbirdCayeResort, Front Office Manager at Blackbird Caye Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2018

HI Karen, thank you for taking the time to give us your very valuable feedback as we depend on it to improve in areas that we may be lacking. The staff has been advised of your kind regards to them as well.

In reviewing the request for refund upper management was apprehensive as the boat and the staff are both the same and we have not had claims for damaged luggage. We were under the impression that you had taken trip insurance but clearly it was declined when your registration was subitted. The claim has been reviewed and as per our email correspondence we are happy to advise that the check for $300 to help you pay for the ruined luggage has been mailed today March 8, 2018. Please accept our apologies and we do look forward to have you stay with us again in the near future!

Sandra Lockhart
Sales Manager
Blackbird Caye Resort

Reviewed March 5, 2018

blackbird caye treated everyone, divers, and non-divers like we were family. great meals, great diving, with awesome made from scratch meals. Kurt, Oscar, Jose, and Edwin served the entire group with the greatest care.
Cardinal, Edmund, Immanuel, and Pablo made sure we were safe first and them still saw the most awe inspiring sites they could find.
Richard and his crew made the voyages by boat uneventful.

cant wait to go back and visit them all again.

Date of stay: February 2018

We pride ourselves on such an experience for our guests! Feeling like family is our goal so we are pleased you were able to enjoy that.
We can't wait to welcome you back for another visit as well.

Reviewed March 3, 2018

I recently spent a week diving on Blackbird Caye in Belize. The diving was superb. The whole experience was a real treat. The cabanas were basic but very comfortable. The included meals were very tasty. I did the Blue Hole dive trip. It is expensive but worth it especially the two dives that followed the Blue Hole. The airport and boat transfers were very convenient. I would recommend this resort but only to divers. The beach is not very good for swimming and the kayaking equipment is very tired.

Date of stay: March 2018
1  Thank RowBear54

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it as a valued guest. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

What a great place! We were grandparents with our kids and two grandsons ages 7 and 13. The staff was the BEST of any trip I've ever taken. The food was wonderful...thx Luis and Kurt. The snorkeling fabulous and the island totally safe. We plan to return!

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia B

We agree! Our staff is top-notch and go above and beyond for our guests to make their stay perfect. We are thrilled you were able to enjoy it and appreciate your time in reviewing us!