“Wow! Can't wait to go back.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belize City
Hugh Parkey's Belize Adventure Lodge
Fredericton, Canada
“Wow! Can't wait to go back.”
Reviewed 10 May 2011

My wife and daughter and I have just returned from a six day certification and dive visit with the wonderful people at Hugh Parkeys. The instructor, Emiso, was patient but rigorous in his teaching, and gave my wife and daughter the ability to dive safely, and to love the undersea environment. I dove a dozen times with Denroy, a cheerful and helpful leader, who is passionate about his marine world. Also, Aldo, Captain Biggy, Ron and all the staff, were wonderful, the food was good, and service always came with smiles and easy laughter. I loved this place, and the rooms, which sit out over the water, are breezy and just the right size for those serious about diving. The night life is a spectacular sky full of stars, and the morning sunrises are unforgettable.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Al_from_Canada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 March 2011

We came back to Hugh Parkey for another week after a trip in 2009. We were the absolute first people to stay in the new cabanas, rebuilt after hurricane Richard. In fact, the last 2 cabanas arrived by barge right in front of us. The new cabanas are slightly bigger than the old ones and have air conditioning although we never used it. They're still over water, looking out to sea and now have a screen door to the deck. Hugh Parkey's service is remarkably personal. The food is top notch. Because there are so few people who actually stay on the island, there are only two choices for dinner but they accommodate special diets and in a full week we never had a bad meal.
The divemasters are great. They know how to find the good stuff and are very knowledgeable.
If you get tired of all the solitude, they now have satellite TV in the restaurant and a good collection of DVDs to watch. We were able to get wifi in our cabana.
If you're looking for nightlife, glitz and excitement go somewhere else. If you're looking to have a whole island to yourself, nature, beaches, good diving and personal service this is the place for you. There are likely to be day visitors from the cruise ships on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday but there's a good chance you'll have the whole island to yourself on the other days.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I am a warm water diver, my family and I go on cruises as a way to get in multiple dives for a low fare. The diving here is very pretty, I love the fan corals and the way the reef looks untouched. The dive guides here are great. They watch out for you but also know that if you sign up for a certified dive you know what you are doing and don't need to be babysat. They have fun doing their job and have a little bit of a friendly competition between groups to see who can see what. Which makes it fun. I dove with this outfit 2 years ago and it was just as much fun then. They provided light snacks for the dive and made handmade desserts! I would recommend staying at this lodge if it's anything like diving w/ this group. :)

Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I dove with Hugh Parkeys when my cruise stopped in Belize. The boat was very nice and large. Never felt cramped at all. I liked that I wasn't forced to surface when the new guy blew thru his air way to fast. Good dive masters that gave you a little freedom once they noticed you've been diving a while and were comfortable down there. Good dive sites with amazing plant life. After the dives we had 45 mins to spend on the resort island. It was perfect. I actualy thought about "accidentialy" missing the boat back to the cruise ship. I'm certainly going to look into a package to stay there in the future.

• Stayed January 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We chose this place because we didn't want to stay at a crowded/expensive resort, and we didn't realize just how perfect this place would be. We lucked out and stayed when there weren't many other guests at the hotel, but it would have been secluded and quiet even if it was at capacity. Meals were great, staff was friendly, beaches were beautiful, rooms were great. Scuba trips were amazing, guides were professional, friendly and fun!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Winston Salem, NC
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Best service that I have received in ANY hotel ANYWHERE that I have ever visited. The most charming little cabanas perched on the water, the sound of dolphins playing under you at night, food that is very delicious, and great diving. We will return, and we will bring friends. I would recommend this place to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rayandkatie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2010

My second visit to Spanish Lookout Caye and for a group retreat. We only had one night and two days but the care and attention was top notch. This is not a luxury resort and what you see is what you get but you cannot help but like what you see. Last time i went and as the boat pulled up to the dock a pod of Dolphins swam close to the boat as if on cue to greet us. Pastel coloured wooden huts over the water with wooden decking over the water and oversized public buildings for the size of resort. Must be the biggest public toilet i saw in my life for only two urinals and one stall, i could have played basketball in there!

What i like most is that it is an unpretentious place, simple, exceptionally well managed, over the water cabanas are simple but clean and comfortable and i sat on my wooden deck over the water watching the stars and working on my lap top until almost 1 am. I slept with the door open and fell asleep to the gentle whoosh of the water as it lapped around the hut and the wind provided very fresh cool in room temperature. There was an a/c in my room but if you think i could spoil the chance to sleep al fresco .........not a chance. When i checked out i realised I did not even have a key to my room, it just stayed open the whole stay, how many hotels can you comfortably do that at these days, very few. If the windows whistle with the wind you just have to open them ever so slightly and it stops - local knowledge is everything :-)

The quality of the food was amazing, we were stuffed all day long with fresh banana bread, homemade cheese biscuits, muffins and dinner was superb, Dessert was so good - chocolate cake or Key Lime pie - i had both......and regretted it, my stomach had not taken in so much food for a month as I had been on a crash diet and i had to walk the beach a few times to burn off calories, well that was no great hardship either as i had it to myself and time for contemplation of the days meeting.

Our mobile phones only worked if you stood in a certain spot on the resort but the staff know each spot for each phone company.The ride out was comfortable in a big safe 48 foot dive boat with covered or open air sitting. I think it was only about 25 minutes but i was talking and taking in the fresh air but know its about 8 miles out from the city.

Such a shame we only had one night, i will certainly be back soon and this time with the wife and kids for some snorkelling and kayakking, never got a chance to get on the beach or in a kayak this trip. Next time i will don my dive gear for the first time in over seven years. The resort has a plethora of large comfortable looking dive boats and a couple flat pontoon boats presumably for snorkellers.

The prices are very reasonable. Usually private islands carry a whopping price tag but not at Hugh Parkeys. Not sure the rates for diving but i can imagine they do a good all in dive price. Next time I will be back for sure at least a long week-end. And our meetings were a huge success, mostly put down to the relaxed atmosphere, great nosh and discreet top service. Cant remember his name but our waiter was trained on the cruise ships and gave us five star treatment for two days. He remembered everyones name and even seemed to remember what everyone was drinking and any dietary preferences, very impressive. I was asked about my food allergies before getting to the island even though we were a small group and my preferences were upheld throughout the week-end.

I cant think of anything i did not like except having to leave too soon.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
#1 of 16 in Belize City
St. George's Caye Resort
St. George's Caye Resort
#1 of 2 in St. George's Caye

Been to Hugh Parkey's Belize Adventure Lodge? Share your experiences!