“Wonderful Adventurous Location”

Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I will start by saying that we 100% enjoyed our time in Caves Branch. The jungle is amazing, the resort grounds beautiful, and the room being open aired is a delight. The guides MAKE this resort. They are friendly, knowledgeable, and provided us with the most exciting experiences of our lives. We did the waterfall tour (my favorite), the Black Hole drop, and the ruins trip. The two hiking excursions were trenuos, beautiful, and made us push ourselves. They were exhilirating and extremely rewarding. The guides were a joy to spend the day with, funny, and made us feel safe. It is worth it to go to this resort for the experiences like these. The reason that I scored this a 3 out of 5 is based soley on hotel management. I will admit it is nice that the owners mingle nightly with guests, and I think overall they do a wonderful job in a remote location of providing good meals, and ammenities. Unfortunately, the owner was just not very nice to us. We had a hard time getting clear answers to our questions, though likely we were not asking the correct people, and wanted clarification regarding rooms. We had been there for 3 nights prior to us bringing this topic up, and mostly said anything at all because we were there for our honeymoon and wanting a king bed, etc. (we chose this hotel over others because of the accomodations we thought we were receiving). Because we felt the guides had alot of knowledge, we casually asked at dinner if we were in a suite, or confused. (Additionally we had no warm/hot water our entire stay, until the last night. We asked many times, and finally it was escalated to the owner who fixed the problem) I dont feel we were "complaining" as we are laid back people, with proper expectations of the type of lodge we were staying at. (it was lovely) One night at dinner, the owner approached us---seemingly insulted that we had commented at all---and was rather rude and defensive in his response to us. I was embarassed by the tone he used, in front of the entire dining area, and he made me feel terribly that I had spoke up at all. I understand that he prides himself on running a wonderful operation, which he does, but was taken aback with the way he delivered the message to me. I have never cried on a vacation before, but was embarrassed and upset when he left our table. We retired early that night, and said nothing else.
I do not think that this interaction should prevent any fellow travelers from choosing this hotel: it was worth it, and a wonderful experience. Our room, by the way, was lovely and we were not unhappy in any way----just a tad confused, and wanted to make sure we had paid for the right room. We were offered a price brake since in the owners mind "we complained", but were not looking for that to happen at all. It wasnt a money concern. We turned around and gave the "refunded" amount to the guides as a tip upon our departure: they deserves it.

Some Pros:
Tours---best I have ever experienced.
Guides and hard working staff
Lovely Breakfasts
Cave Burrito lunches were YUMMY after a hard days work.
The grounds were beautiful, night tour very fun, pool refreshing, and housekeeping staff was GREAT.

Cons:
Bad attitudes.

If you are looking to see the true jungle, and experience once in a lifetime moments: stay here. Would we go back?---I actually want to move to Belize, love the jungle and the people. I would not stay at Caves Branch again---but it would not be because the rooms werent lovely, and the tours werent amazing. It would onlly be because of the unfriendliness we received. Its unfortunate too, because we are most typically repeat customers everywhere we go.

Room Tip: We didnt stay in a treehouse---but saw them----if you can get one, DO IT, they are amazing. All roo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer B
There are newer reviews for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge

Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Caves Branch for 4 nights at the end of March and had a fabulous trip. We stayed in a Jungle Suite, and while would have loved to stay in the more-expensive Treehouse, we were quite happy with our choice. The suite was far larger than we needed, and while I was concerned about not having air conditioning, the powerful ceiling fans and shade from the surrounding jungle kept us more than cool. I even had to turn off the ceiling fan at night because I was too chilly :)

If you're considering a stay here, it makes the most sense to choose a package, as the adventures are really what make the trip unique. (We did the Waterfall Expedition, ATM and Tikal. I wish we stayed one more night so we could do the Black Hole or Cave Tubing!). Because I read reviews that criticized the food, I had really low expectations, but I think I actually liked the food. There were always three courses when dining at the lodge (of course, lunches that the guides carry on their backs inside a cave during an all-day expedition won't be three courses). There were two kinds of salads at dinner and a soup. (All of the soups I tasted were delicious). The main course featured 3-4 kinds of meats and several different vegetables, and dessert offered at least two options. My husband and I also really enjoyed the communal dining style, as it gave us an opportunity to meet some really cool people and new friends. I know this is something common on cruises, but we haven't been on a cruise since we were kids, so this was an entirely new experience for us as adults, and it was great.

The service at Caves Branch is what made it stand out for me. Our flight was delayed, causing American Airlines to re-route us and arrive at Caves Branch a whole day later than we planned, causing us to miss one of the activities I was really excited about. I had read reviews here that Caves Branch was not flexible in allowing its guests to cancel any part of their trip or to move dates, but that couldn't have been further than the truth in my experience. They allowed us to either cancel a day, or let us move the whole trip by one day, which we happily accepted. (Our hotel at the beach and tropic air flights also allowed us to move things around), making a potentially sad start to our trip much better. My experience at Caves Branch is that if there is anything they can do to help you, they will. My guess is that if they're fully booked (as they may have been during trips that other reviewers have posted about), then they probably couldn't extend the same offer to others. The guides, bartenders and servers were all great, too. There were more kids at the resort than we expected, and when we asked to be on a non-kid tour, they split us up into a group without kids. Pretty much, these guys will do anything they can for you. They want you to be happy, and they want you to have a nice vacation. This made all the difference for us.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pnkyswr
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband, daughter and I spent three nights here on a 10 day trip to Belize.

The staff was courteous and helpful for the large part. Positive -- My husband forgot his passport at last place and staff was even willing to go get it for us for just gas. (We went and got it ourselves but they were wonderful!) Negative - morning checkout took a long time. I went there before 7 AM as we needed to get on road immediately after breakfast, and it took over 1/2 hour for computer to boot up!

The room was great! We knew going in not a "resort" - so no air or TV, wireless, etc -- and it lived up to our expectations! It was glorious!

The meals... well, it was not very native! I was disappointed! I am not a fan of buffets, and I hated the long, drawn out meals. I would have to say that if I was writing this based on the food, it would be below average. Too US like, too long drawn out, etc..

I also didn't like being "forced" to stop at a gift shop on the Tikal trip. I think the other guests on trip felt obligated to buy something there - but I didn't buy a thing! None of us wanted to stop there. The guide should ask and if no one wants to stop, then don't waste our time!

Great place for a destination trip and rooms and service were great!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lahmcfan
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My 7 year old son and I just returned from Ian Anderson's Cave Branch Jungle Lodge and already are trying to figure out when we can go back. It was a great experience and really felt like we were staying with friends instead of guests at a lodge. The entire staff from Cheryl who took care of us like family to the guides who took time to talk to my little one and make him feel comfortable and prepared for the adventures. I am still surprised at how much my son was able to do. Even at 7, he was able to do the black hole drop and all the other activities we wanted. We were there 4 nights and were very sad to leave. I posted a video of my tree house on my Facebook to share with my friends because it was so amazing, I just had to share. We have been to other tree houses, including one in South Africa while on safari and nothing compares to the accommodations at Cave Branch. I also met a number of families with children who felt the same way as well as couples of all ages traveling without children....it really was a place for all ages. That is, all ages, so long as you are fit and willing to live with nature. The adventures are very physical (quite hard) but very rewarding. In addition, Ian himself took the time to meet with my son who sees him as a Jungle Superhero (those are his words) and I really appreciated that. Again, I cannot say more about the staff, including Kareem, Edgar, Carlos, and just too many to mention. The downside is that Ian has set the bar very high and my next adventure will be difficult to match! I give this trip 5 big stars...thanks Ian!

Room Tip: I stayed in tree house number 24 - Awesome! The canopy views are amazing but all other types of room...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My son and I spent 3 nights in a canopy view tree house and 2 days hustling around the interior of Belize with Carlos and Pablo, our guides. It was awesome! We hit the Zoo, Xunantunich and Ziplines. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

The food could be a bit better at the lodge, but I'm not a buffet lover, so that's pretty standard. Also, if you're thinking of going here to have a big time partying, you might want to ensure it's the right time of year. We enjoyed NONE of the drunken party crowd that I've seemed elsewhere in an "all inclusive" environment. I was happy about that. Not an open bar sort of feel!

I loved everything else about the place and so did my son.

Room Tip: Canopy View Tree House was awesome, but there were LOTS of steps from the dining area up to the room...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Allen H
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This place is excellent. I only rated it down a little due to fact that I am a budget traveler and the meals are expensive, but very good. We statyed here one night specifically to do the Black Hole Drop. Had reserved a Jungle Hut but were upgraded to a Jungle Cabana. It was a very nice screened cabana with tile floors, a nice indoor shower and an outdoor shower in a private fenced courtyard. Even though there were just screen and curtains, this was probably the nicest place we stayed the whole trip. The cabana and pool area definetly have the WOW factor. The meels are buffet style in a large communal dining area that is outside and overlooks the river. It was nice to visit with other travelers, hear where they had been, hear about the tours they did and meet new people. (Was not sure I was going to enjoy the dining, but the whole family like it.) This is definetly a class operation. All staff was excellent. Tour guides and helpers were excellent. Rest of the family would have stayed here a lot longer. If I get a chance, I would like to return and also do the cave waterfall tour, which got rave reviews and was very challenging. We enjoyed the Black Hole Drop and found that there was a lot of attention to safety. The Lodge gave everyone water, the guide reminded people to drink and took breaks when people needed them. The rapelling was done safely and with a main line the person controled and also an additional safety line that was belayed by staff. One smaller girl on our tour opted to just be lowered down on the safety line and went down beside her father who was a former mountain guide himself. A great place and glad we got to experience it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We planned our trip to Belize to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary, and decided to start off with a "Jungle Adventure". Although upon arrival, our reservation in one of the 2 bedroom treehouses had gone sideways, NOT the fault of Caves Branch staff in any way, but rather a travel agent's error, we were more than a little disappointed to find out that our treehouse was not available:( However, the staff went above and beyond to ensure that we were accommodated to the best of their ability (Thanks Larry!!) and we continued on with our adventure!
We did the River Cave Tubing adventure the first day! Very fun, lots of caves, cool feeling floating through! There was a point where one of the people in our party was being pulled by the river's current while we were crossing on foot, my husband had to go and help her, that would be the one "complaint' that I had was that the guide did not seem to make much of an effort to help. Other than that though, he was a very good guide, interesting and informative.
Our second adventure was a trip to the ruins at Zunantanich...very very interesting, and our guide Carlos was excellent! I was a bit skeptical of touring the ruins, thought it might be sort of "boring", but I was proven wrong, it was a fabulous day!!
Caves Branch Lodge is definitely a unique accommodation, I am glad we have added this to our list of places visited, all in all it was a memorable experience. The food at the Lodge and on the adventures was good, the accommodations were nice and the jungle sounds at night were absolutely incredible!! What really made our stay great though, was the staff! From Enrique who picked us up at the airport, staying with us while we tried to sort out our reservation problem, even stopping to pick fresh grapefruits, to Charyl, "Princess of Caves Branch", Albert, Kareem, beautiful Annie whose massaging hands are like those of an angel, and Larry, who really went the extra mile to help us smooth everything out, we thank you all for a wonderful time at Caves Branch!!
This may not be the type of adventure vacation that everyone would like, and they make that clear in their website, I am glad we experienced it once in our life, it's all part of the adventure!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
6.8 km away
Gaia Riverlodge
#2 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve
27.8 km away
Amber Sunset Jungle Resort

Been to Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!