I will start by saying that we 100% enjoyed our time in Caves Branch. The jungle is amazing, the resort grounds beautiful, and the room being open aired is a delight. The guides MAKE this resort. They are friendly, knowledgeable, and provided us with the most exciting experiences of our lives. We did the waterfall tour (my favorite), the Black Hole drop, and the ruins trip. The two hiking excursions were trenuos, beautiful, and made us push ourselves. They were exhilirating and extremely rewarding. The guides were a joy to spend the day with, funny, and made us feel safe. It is worth it to go to this resort for the experiences like these. The reason that I scored this a 3 out of 5 is based soley on hotel management. I will admit it is nice that the owners mingle nightly with guests, and I think overall they do a wonderful job in a remote location of providing good meals, and ammenities. Unfortunately, the owner was just not very nice to us. We had a hard time getting clear answers to our questions, though likely we were not asking the correct people, and wanted clarification regarding rooms. We had been there for 3 nights prior to us bringing this topic up, and mostly said anything at all because we were there for our honeymoon and wanting a king bed, etc. (we chose this hotel over others because of the accomodations we thought we were receiving). Because we felt the guides had alot of knowledge, we casually asked at dinner if we were in a suite, or confused. (Additionally we had no warm/hot water our entire stay, until the last night. We asked many times, and finally it was escalated to the owner who fixed the problem) I dont feel we were "complaining" as we are laid back people, with proper expectations of the type of lodge we were staying at. (it was lovely) One night at dinner, the owner approached us---seemingly insulted that we had commented at all---and was rather rude and defensive in his response to us. I was embarassed by the tone he used, in front of the entire dining area, and he made me feel terribly that I had spoke up at all. I understand that he prides himself on running a wonderful operation, which he does, but was taken aback with the way he delivered the message to me. I have never cried on a vacation before, but was embarrassed and upset when he left our table. We retired early that night, and said nothing else.
I do not think that this interaction should prevent any fellow travelers from choosing this hotel: it was worth it, and a wonderful experience. Our room, by the way, was lovely and we were not unhappy in any way----just a tad confused, and wanted to make sure we had paid for the right room. We were offered a price brake since in the owners mind "we complained", but were not looking for that to happen at all. It wasnt a money concern. We turned around and gave the "refunded" amount to the guides as a tip upon our departure: they deserves it.
Tours---best I have ever experienced.
Guides and hard working staff
Cave Burrito lunches were YUMMY after a hard days work.
The grounds were beautiful, night tour very fun, pool refreshing, and housekeeping staff was GREAT.
If you are looking to see the true jungle, and experience once in a lifetime moments: stay here. Would we go back?---I actually want to move to Belize, love the jungle and the people. I would not stay at Caves Branch again---but it would not be because the rooms werent lovely, and the tours werent amazing. It would onlly be because of the unfriendliness we received. Its unfortunate too, because we are most typically repeat customers everywhere we go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the lush rainforest of central Belize, Caves Branch Jungle Lodge offers visitors the opportunity to immerse in a culture of mid-range to extreme adventures. From the guest rooms that are open to the sights and sounds of the jungle, some of which are thatched in the ancient style of the Maya to our luxurious Treehouse suites, your experience should be something that must be experienced to be believed and once experienced, truly-never forgotten! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity.ca, Hotels.com and Cancelon so you can book your Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ian Anderson`s Caves Branch Jungle Hotel Belmopan
- Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge Belize/Belmopan