Midas Belize(San Ignacio)(Great Value!)
US$108
San Ignacio Resort Hotel(San Ignacio)
US$151
Western Guest House(San Ignacio)(Great Value!)
Book now, pay at stay
US$42
US$41
The Log Cab-Inn(San Ignacio)
US$94
US$90
Cahal Pech Village Resort(San Ignacio)
US$90
  • Pool
Rumors Resort(San Ignacio)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$83
US$81
  • Breakfast included
Rainforest Haven Inn(San Ignacio)(Great Value!)
US$55
Ka'ana Resort(San Ignacio)
US$305
US$253
US$545
US$408
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbotanical gardensjungle lodgehorseback ridingfire towermacal riverla casitacave tubingatm cavemayan ruinstree houseon sitemeal planevery morningpine ridgeall inclusive packageday tripexotic birds
Reviewed January 29, 2008

We stayed at DuPlooy’s for four nights after Christmas, after a four-night stay at Belizean Shores (see my review of this resort too.) It was a huge contrast to go from the white, clean, sunny conditions on the beach to the muddy, messy jungle – even though we booked our trip this way, it was a difficult transition. But the lodge itself was fine: basic but comfortable – the grounds are well maintained and the rooms are clean. Internet access is available in the office for a fee. Even though we understand the conservation philosophy of the lodge, the rooms are really dim. No matter how you try to dry your wet clothes, they take days to dry (and they never do get completely dry) and end up smelling musty or moldy – so be sure to bring plenty of bathing suits and changes of clothing, especially depending on the tours you select. We lost power one morning, but it was restored in about 15 minutes. Other guests mentioned having a bat and bugs in their unit, but we didn’t have that problem. Definitely bring strong mosquito repellent and wear plenty of it during all your tours. Even fully covered with the spray, I managed to get a good number of bites during our time here.

We were on a package since our trip was around the holidays so meals were included. There’s really no place to go for meals since DuPlooys is very secluded, so we were glad they were included. We originally doubted the quality of the food on a meal plan, but we actually ended up liking the food here. Breakfasts were pretty good as was the lunch we had on site on the first day. Since we were on full-day tours for our full 3 days, we had lunches provided on those. One was a stop at a restaurant at Tikal – food was decent. Nothing too special but a huge relief after a full day of walking and climbing up steps. The bagged lunches on the other 2 tours were pretty basic (ham/cheese sandwiches, cookies or chips, juice, fruit bar) but filling enough. Dinners at DuPlooys were good. Soups and salads were usually really good, main entrees varied – chicken and vegetarian dishes were usually better than expected but lamb/pork dishes disappointed, desserts were always tasty. Service was consistently excellent, staff very friendly. They serve breakfast and dinner in the dining room and lunch in the bar which is an open walkway that leads to a lookout point over the river. This is also where they feed bananas to the adorable kinkajous that come everyday at dusk (between 6-6:30pm) and the birds (toucans) in the morning around 6am.

DuPlooys is located off of a dusty/muddy rocky dirt road about 20 minutes from the main road. This makes it difficult to get to San Ignacio unless you request a stop in town on the way to/from your tour. But everything is pretty much included in a package so they try to make things as convenient as possible for you. Be sure to book your tours at least by 6pm the day before. The office closes by 6pm, so you may not be able to sign up for anything in the evening. DuPlooys offers a good range of tours and we definitely took advantage of the activities.

DuPlooys sent a taxi cab to pick us up from Belize City Municipal Airport – he had our first and last names mixed up so when he asked the office for us, they had told him we were not on the plane. Even though the airport is extremely small, we were waiting around for more than 30 minutes before we saw each other. We included a stop at Xunantunich on our transfer from Belize City since Xunantunich is only about 20 minutes away from DuPlooys. We were lucky to get a great guide for this site – as one of the original caretakers of the site, Elfego was extremely knowledgeable.

For more information on the tours we took from DuPlooy's, see the reviews I submitted separately for:
1) a full-day tour was to Tikal with our driver Philip and tour guide Luis
2) a full-day tour to Actun Tunichil Muknal (“ATM”)
3) a full-day tour to Flour Camp Cave, which I believe is only available to DuPlooys and one other place

I had a massage by Ivy in the separate spa hut which was really nice after three days of non-stop activity! On our last morning, we explored the Botanic Gardens on the property – it was quite nice. We also asked for a stop at the Belize Zoo on the way back to the airport. The zoo is quite small so you don’t need more than an hour to see the whole place but it’s worth the stop. Among the highlights is the beautiful black jaguar.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ocphotographer
Reviewed January 12, 2008

We arrived at DuPlooy's on Christmas Day for a 5-night stay and and began our amazing 2-week Belize vacation!

We all agree that DuPlooy's was the highlight of our trip. They treated us like royalty there and all of the staff were so friendly and knowledgeable about Belize we felt like we were being treated to special service all the time. (Thanks Anivar, Ricky, Louis and Tanika!) Stephanie; the owner/manager was very friendly, helpful and gave us really personal service, as well as gifts for Christmas.

The food was fabulous and the accommodations were perfect. We stayed in the newer bungalows and they were so clean and well kept. The treetop bar, spa and botanical gardens are just beautiful and we loved to sit and enjoy a drink and watch the toucans, kinkajous and even the night time visit by the possum!! The website photos don't do this resort justice - it is incredible!

We chose the tour package and were thrilled with our adventures! Our personal guides; Fermin, Phillip, Louis, Arnold, Alexi and Andre were very knowledgeable, interesting and friendly. The tours were fantastic and we loved being on a new, exciting adventure every day. (The worst part of the trip was that we were so tired at night we had to go to bed at 8:30 a couple of times just to rest for the next day's adventure).

We definitely recommend this resort!!

The Crazy Canuck Gringos from Western Canada

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank coach5721
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Spent 4 days at duplooys over New Year's. The staff was so friendly and nice. My daughter had a cold and within hours, the entire staff knew about it. At dinner, the staff asked her how she was feeling. The cleaning people even stopped by our bungalow the next day to ask how she was doing. The location is beautiful and our bungalow was spacious and clean. The food was excellent. We expected lots of bugs being deep in the jungle but we could sit on our open porch without getting bitten up. I would definitely stay here again. The attached botanical gardens are also very nice. Took several excursions which were fun and interesting.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ChocolateTourist
Reviewed December 4, 2007

We stayed at duplooys quite a while back and enjoyed it... the property is lush, gorgeous! The food was excellent and the optional tours during the day were good. We opted to go to Tikal in Guatemala overnight and it was the highlight of our trip! Like another traveler, we were disappointed by the little interaction the owner family had with us and we would have loved to discuss how they came to end up in Belize. Also, at the time we booked, it was not clear on the website that the price was per person and we ended up having to pay twice over. After our complaint, they changed the website to clearly state per person.

• Stayed: April 2003, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lilacs109
Reviewed October 25, 2007

I found this website helpful when deciding on where to stay so I thought I would contribute my experience as well. DuPlooy's exceeded all of my expectations! I would definitely recommend this place to people who are truly looking for the jungle experience!

I must start by saying that I am a bit of a girly girl who fears bugs, spiders, and anything in between. It didn't take me long to realize that I needed to get over this fear in order to truly enjoy my time in the jungle. If you are someone who can't get over bugs hovering around you constantly or spiders all over the place then the jungle may not be the place for you (there is no escaping them). My boyfriend and I experienced bugs and spiders in our room, but it was nothing we couldn't handle. We spoke with other guests and they were lucky enough not to experience any bugs in their room. But its the jungle and a definite possibility you should come to terms with before staying anywhere in the jungle. With that said, dealing with bugs and spiders is a small price for all of the amazing experiences we had at DuPlooy's. I just want to give fair warning to all those like me. Also there is no air conditioning. The fans work great but the generators go off around 4 a.m. every morning for a couple hours. When I did my research I found that the majority of jungle lodges do not have air conditioning.

DuPlooy's is secluded, about 15 to 20 minutes down a dirt road. They have beautiful gardens and a great bar area. Every night they put out bananas for the Kinkajous who gladly show up to enjoy this treat. In the morning they put out fruit for the birds, which attracts several different species. There is wildlife all around you at DuPlooy's, I found myself carrying my camera wherever I went because I never knew what I'd see next.

The staff at DuPlooy's was very friendly and accomodating. My boyfriend and I decided things on a whim and they always were able to make them happen for us. We also got massages there and Ivy was great! We chose to go to Tikal one day and it was amazing. It is an all day trip and you must go into Guatamala. I didn't visit any other Mayan ruins so I can't compare, but Tikal had a lot to offer. The view from Temple 5 is a must and you have got to experience the call of the Howler Monkey. Wear Bug Spray ALL THE TIME, especially in Tikal.

I have to mention how wonderful Stephanie (one of the owners) was to me. I had an incident where I got bit by a fly and my forehead swelled pretty badly. My boyfriend expressed concern to Stephanie and she recommended I go see a doctor just in case. I was very uneasy about going to a doctor in a foreign country but Stephanie reassured me and made the arrangements with the doctor. She also arranged for a driver to take me there. I was very thankful to be in such good hands, thankfully everything worked out just fine. She really went above and beyond for me. For this reason alone (and there are many others) I would stay at DuPlooy's again when I go back to Belize.

The food is great at DuPlooy's. The menu is always different and there are plenty of options. My boyfriend and I opted not to do the meal plan. After our stay we did the math and realized it would have been worth our while to have done it. Since you are secluded there is nowhere else to go, and their meals are fairly pricey.

If you are looking for the jungle experience with exceptional customer service Duplooy's is a great place for you!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple