All reviewsbotanical gardensjungle lodgehorseback ridingmacal riverfire towerla casitacave tubingmayan ruinsatm caveon sitetree houseevery morningmeal planpine ridgeguided tourexotic birdsday trip
Reviewed April 20, 2018

Reserved with outstanding communication from day one. We selected the inclusive option and were never once disappointed. The facilities were excellent - understand this is an ECO-lodge. Electricity, indoor plumbing, and quite comfortable, however air conditioning is NOT PRESENT. We spent an entire week and wouldn't change a thing. One member of our party got sick mid-week and the staff was extra attentive to her so that the remainder of our group could still maintain our schedule. We traveled with ages 3 - 68 in a group totaling 13 people. Every excursion was impeccable, including our special trip to the coast to snorkel. Everything about duPlooy's lodge was amazing!

Stayed: November 2017
Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

The lodge is about 2 hours from the airport. There is a botanical garden on site as well as horseback riding! I personally enjoyed cave tubing. It was nice relief after the ATM cave, which was the highlight of my trip.

Excellent stay! Attentive staff! All around wonderful place. I would highly recommend.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2018

A visit to duPlooy's Jungle Lodge isn't for everyone, that is, if you're looking for 5 star luxury...go somewhere else. But, if you're a person who appreciates the vast diversity of Belizean nature this is where you want to come. The guests I encountered during my recent stay ranged from couples (young and old), entire families, and as in our case, a group of close friends. There were serious bird watchers, those who went out on the various daily excursions (archaeological ruins, caving, waterfalls, hiking, horseback riding, etc.), and then there were those who chose to hang out at the lodge and explore the wonders of the attached Belize Botanical Gardens. So, there is something to satisfy everyone's interests.
Accommodations very in size depending on your needs and preferences. Our group shared a multi-bedroom cottage that was just right for us. We spent many hours on our deck watching and listening to the birds and enjoying the cool breezes.
A memorable and surprising standout of my stay was the food service on property. I'm an early riser who enjoys a good cup of coffee (or tea) first thing in the morning. No problem at duPlooys where the coffee is waiting for you starting at 6am in the bar/restaurant deck area where you are treated to the birds feasting on fresh fruit that is being prepared for our breakfast. All meals offered enough variety for everyone's individual preferences and choices varied daily so you had different options to choose.
Finally, I must comment on the incredible staff. The wonderful owner, Judy, employs 40 people between the lodge and gardens, who all make you feel at home with their friendly demeanor and willingness to make your time at the lodge enjoyable.
If you are lucky enough to visit duPlooys you will leave with memories you'll keep for a long time.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2018

My 20 yo daughter and I booked this lodge as part of a Sea and Jungle Package with Beaches and Dreams (Also fabulous - I wrote a separate review). We stayed 3 nights and wish we had longer! The grounds were beautiful, food excellent, loved sitting outside to eat. Albert and Alvin made delicious drinks and were lots of fun. The staff members were all so friendly and attentive and made recommendations on how to plan our excursions. We also went river tubing, walked the botanical gardens and took a night hike. We enjoyed watching the leaf cutter ants at work on a tree outside the Garden House where we stayed. We saw many colorful birds in the morning and the kinkajoos at night in the bar area. We even had a chance to talk to the owner, Judy, a few times.

The ATM cave was the highlight of our stay in Belize - Emil and Luis were so knowledgeable and entertaining. This is a tour you must do!!

Philip was our guide to Xunantunich and was amazing! He was so imformative and friendly and answered a million questions from my daughter! He took us to the market in San Ignacio afterwards and helped us find spices, papusas and local crafts- he even ran half way across the market after the cart selling seaweed drinks when my daugher spotted it! We also had lunch and chocolate making tour while in town. He was so wonderful we asked that he be our driver for the 2 1/2 hour drive to Beaches and Dreams. He suggested stops at the Iguana Project, Blue Hole for swimming and a local place for lunch on the way. It was a fabulous day!

This is definitely the place to stay to experience the jungle - we did not miss A/C or TV at all. Combining this with a stay at the beach was the best way to experience 2 different parts of Belize.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2018

This was our second trip to duPlooy’s Jungle Lodge. I didn’t think our first trip could be outdone, but I was wrong. This time we went for a week and stayed with 5 friends in a house with 4 bedrooms/2 baths. We could choose each day to go on one of the many outings (horseback riding, cave tubing, ATM tour, Pine Ridge, Mayan ruins, etc., etc.) or we could just sit on the deck and watch the exotic birds come and feed. We took relaxing walks in the botanical gardens (which I did at least twice a day). Experiencing this place took every ounce of stress I had out of me. There is no tv or air conditioning at the lodge, but as I found out again, these things are over-rated. The Macal River is right next to the lodge where we tubed down to cool off, and at night, it cooled down enough where I actually put on a blanket. There is WiFi on the deck and at the office to stay connected with family and friends if needed.

The staff at duPlooy’s is truly amazing. From Chef John (who makes three specials every evening all of which were fabulous) to the housekeeping, to the tour guides. All had smiles on their faces and were willing to help with any needs you might have. Many of the staff were still there from four years ago from our first visit. By the time we left this place we felt like family. Judy Deploy is one of the main reasons we will keep on coming back. She is truly incredible. She took the time to sit with us and pass on her knowledge about the lodge and how it all came about. It’s a great story!!

We will be coming back again to duPlooy’s, not only for the reasons listed above, but because I just can’t stop thinking about our last dessert, which was home-made coffee ice cream.

Room Tip: All different types of places to choose from
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Cayowoman, Owner at Sweet Songs Jungle Lodge, a Muy'Ono resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2018

Thanks so much for your positive review. I think that our staff had a lot of fun with you and your friends and, hopefully most of them will still be here when you return.

Hope to see you soon.