All reviewsbotanical gardensjungle lodgehorseback ridingmacal riverfire towerla casitacave tubingmayan ruinsatm caveon sitetree houseevery morningmeal planpine ridgeguided tourexotic birdsday trip
Reviewed July 27, 2010

If you have been to some of the more "distant" eco-lodges, duPlooy's is a great surprise. The rooms (we chose a bungalow) are large and have electricity which means fans and that translates into a great sleep in these humid environs. Each day you can pick activities and there is plenty to do, however; be warned....if you schedule a 7am start, don't plan on leaving before 7:30. My spouse and I went for birdwatching and while Philip was a great guide he was frequently late and absent altogether on our final morning at the lodge. That was disappointing, but the food, other services, and location were not.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We arrived at duPlooy's the same day as Tropical Storm Alex. The dinner that night (while it poured down rain) was excellent and it remained so for every meal during our 8 night stay. My biggest concern about staying at duPlooy's was that we might not like or get tired of the food, seeing how you are pretty much stuck with eating there. (We opted for the "create your own package" stay; meals included) We only had one repeat appearance of a main course and I was glad to see it because it was delicious. The two veggie dishes I had were also standouts.
Our bungalow was very nice, big with a comfortable king sized-bed. Sleep for me was difficult because of the heat. I don't blame duPlooy's at all for this, rather my thickened Pac NW blood. Were there bugs in the room? Yup but I've got a few spiders and moths here at home in Tacoma. There were a few ants in the bathroom and a couple of bigger bugs flying about in the room. Its the jungle. We also had keel bill toucans, collared aracari, chachalacas, kinkajooes and agouti that we could watch from our bungalow porch hammock. No fleas in our bed.
The electricity did usually turn off ~4AM for 30 minutes or so. The lack of electricity at that hour never negatively impacted our stay.
The road into duPlooys is in rough shape for USA standards but not for Belize. If you tour, Caracol, Mt Pine Ridge, ATM, Barton Creek and I'm sure other spots, expect the same or worse roads. We never made it all the way to Black Rock Lodge but the road leading to it is ROUGHER and A LOT longer.
The staff was great, especially Edvin & Emil in the bar. The duPlooy guides are great, Arnold, Fermin, Noel Thompsen were standouts.
The one thing that I did not like that duPlooy's could fix is the poor water pressure in the shower.
My wife and I liked the create your own package deal. Sure you might save money over a weeks stay if you book everything yourself, but who needs that hassle. We just let the office know what we wanted to do the next day and what we wanted for a pack lunch by 6PM the night before and that's all we had to do. No stress!
If we ever visit Belize's Cayo District again we would definitely stay at duPlooy's again.
If we return to the Cayo District of Belize we would definitely stay at duPlooys again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My wife and I and our baby son visited duPlooy's and had a wonderful stay there. Being in the jungle with nature all around brings us back to our primal roots. Your senses become alive. Our bungalow was very clean and simply decorated but offered the little bit of luxury we wanted in order to feel comfortable in a tropical environment. We really appreciated the extra care the staff took to ensure our baby son was well taken care of.

We enjoyed the sound of the jungle at night, watching the birds being fed in the morning, walking through the Botanical Gardens and viewing the amazing variety of trees/plants, and hiking down to the river and river beach. The limestone cliffs are amazing. We also enjoyed the remoteness and the privacy that goes with it yet still being relatively close to San Ignacio.

We'll be returning to duPlooy's in 2011 and looking forward to it ! :-)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Cayobound
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Wow ..... We really enjoyed the hotel, the staff, the river and the tours. If you are looking for somewhere that is very relaxing this is it. Staff and owner were very nice to all of us. I have read the review the couple wrote below and find it insulting! I was there and saw the whole thing. This man was a JERK!! This is why we have bad reputations in Central America. I think he sould not be allowed to travel ever again. So many people that come to Belize have attitudes and act like this man did .... thinking he was Gods gift to everyone. Shame on him. This is the jungle. Belize is a place we love to visit (been going for 10 years and still love it) but you do have to remember that is not like home ... that's why we go there. The jungle, the beaches, and all that there is to do. So if you are looking for a place to stay ... this is it, but remember don't leave food laying around ... if you do you'll get ants. ... imagine that.... I would think the same thing would happen at your home as well. People, get a life! This is really a very nice resort.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank MyYellowBird
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I have stayed at duPlooy's three times in the last several years and have always found the service to be excellent, the staff to be friendly and Judy (the owner) to be of the utmost integrity. Yes, it is in the middle of the jungle and the driveway is dirt/gravel/etc., no AC, etc., but so is almost every other location in Belize and across central America. If you want to have a Marriott, find a Marriott. I have tried staying in other places in San Ignacio, but they were not even comparable to duPlooy's. I am going back in January, 2011 for a fourth visit and look forward to the botanical gardens, the river, the local trails, the birds/wildlife on the deck, the Iguana's, the nearby sites, the ability to visit San Ignacio and may even take another horse back ride from duPlooy's.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple