“One of the best meals on the peninsula. A hidden gem”
Review of Merl's Cafe

Merl's Cafe
Ranked #33 of 84 Restaurants in Placencia
Price range: US$1 - US$24
Description: Our little Cafe is cozy with seating inside and outside. Air condition and also has a view of the Caribbean Sea.
Reviewed January 23, 2018

Merl is Yoli of Yoli's bar mother. Her small restaurant is just right by Yoli's and it's a hidden gem. I have had breakfast overlooking the water. dinner was one of the best I had. My husband caught strawberry grouper and she cooked it to perfection. The seasoning was great. I had a very moist barbecue chicken with some of the best mashed potatoes I have ever had. Other menu choices were shrimp and conch. Dinner is by reservation only. Lunch Was stewed chicken or lasagna. Her desserts are the best in town.. With a days notice she will cook you a whole pie or cake. Go there you won't regret it. Merl, her daughter Tiffany and Merls mother are generally there. This is a family operation and they do everything like They would in their home. Thank you we truly enjoyed our meal

Reviewed January 23, 2018 via mobile

We brought some fresh caught fish and Merl did her magic and made a delicious dinner. And her coconut custard pie was so good we nought the whole pie.

Reviewed January 22, 2018

Off the main square but well worth the few minute walk. Made to order in a relaxed setting. If you have a hankering for a homemade pie or carrot cake this is the place to go; desserts roate.

Reviewed January 21, 2018

Wanted to give a hearty "thumbs up!" to Merl's Cafe. As multi-year visitors/residents of Placencia, we are very familiar with Ms Merlene and Ms Tiffany's talents. As international travellers, we dispute their modesty in labelling their food "local" It would be exceptional in any country! While all their meals are very good indeed, it is the desserts that they are famous for! They make all our birthday and party cakes, which are consistently both beautifully decorated and delicious. As well, I will admit I often order my dinner party desserts from them! Their pies are just excellent. In fact, I just got off the 'phone from ordering a lemon meringue pie for tomorrow's dinner party. My guests will be pleased! This mother-daughter team are always friendly, charming and very accommodating. I cannot give them a higher rating or recommendation!

1  Thank gmgsmith
Reviewed January 16, 2018

I really wanted some dessert, pie to be exact, and was told to go to Merl's. One customer told me to go to Maya Beach Hotel and I wish I had. We didn't have a car so we walked to Merl's. The pie looked really dry so I had a piece of chocolate cake which was fine. My husband had a coconut tart and it was pretty dry. Not many people out so I'm sure during a busy period she would have had more to offer.

Tiffanie W, Owner at Merl's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2018

Hi, First we want to thank you for stopping in at our Cafe. I clearly remembered the day you came for dessert, we had lots to offer but maybe nothing compared to the Bistro since we are locals and not a high end restaurant. Our pies and tarts are made almost everyday and again, sorry that you found them to be dry. We understand that we won't be able to please everyone especially since we're locals in a business dominated by foreigners. For some people we will never be good enough. However, we hope that your overall experience in Placencia was pleasant and that you enjoyed your stay!