“My, oh my, I'm in paradise”
Review of Maya Beach Hotel

and 1 more site!
Maya Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Washington
“My, oh my, I'm in paradise”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My wife and I stayed the Maya Beach for 11 nights. It was an excellent experience. The hotel is owned by John and Ellen. Their goal is always to ensure their guest's experience was virtually perfect. Whenever we had a request, Ellen and her staff made it happen. Thank you John and Ellen. We ate many meals at the hotel's bistro. The Bistro was voted the best restaurant in Belize for 2010 by the Belize Tourism Board. The food was top-notch, in presentation, freshness, creativeness, and quality. The best Fry-jacks ever!. I enjoyed the Cacao Pork Chop with Papaya-Chipotle-Coconut Sauce so much I had that twice. It was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. John, you're an awesome and inspirational chef! The Coconut Shrimp were to die for. Big, fresh, and deeply breaded with the hotel's own coconuts. My wife's favorite was the Peanut & Coconut Encrusted Fish Filet. It was very, very well prepared. Each dish we ate at the Bistro was a special and unique creation ranging from great to exquisite. Last, don't miss the Peanut Brittle Ice Cream Pie!

Well, on to the rooms. - We spent 9 nights in the Jaguar Room. For a couple, this is a great room. Clean and bright, with a nicely tiled large shower. The bed was comfortable. We turned on the air conditioner at night and both slept very well. You step out the front door and you're on the beach. After leaving the Jaguar room, we spent two more night in the lower level of the Dreamsicle House. The Dreamsicle House would be great for 2 or three couples (it had two rooms with three beds). For the two of us it was very nice, but we didn't need that much room. A nice feature of the Dreamsicle House is that it has its own pool. :) It is also situated right on the beach.

When we were leaving, Ellen asked me what I enjoyed the most about our stay. I replied back the best part of our stay at Maya Beach was the restaurant and the staff. Everyone always smiled, and was very friendly. Time and time again they went out of the way with friendly conversation and attentiveness. Thank you Ellen for hiring such great people! So here's to Tracy, Marlin, Becky, Errin, Oscar, Avi, Cedric, Leo, Phillip, Kenton, and Leo. You are all awesome, and made my wife's and my vacation memorable.

One last special thanks to Kim. When we left the hotel and arrived at the Placencia airport, I realized I left a piece of luggage back at the hotel. Well, our flight left in twenty-five minutes and there was not enough time to drive back and get it without missing our flight. I called the hotel, Kim answered and without hesitation, she said she would bring me my bag. She arrived in time, we made our flight, and all was well. Kim, I said it then and I say it again, thank you and you made my day!

All in all, I'd highly recommend the Maya Beach Hotel for anyone wanting to visit Belize. :)

3 Thank Rags_ragtime

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
San Pedro, Belize
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We have lived in San Pedro, Belize for 12 years and decided to take a trip to see other parts of the country. Our stay at Maya Beach was fantastic! Beautiful beach, great rooms, outstanding restaurant, award winning service, the owners are on property and completely available as well as being genuinely gracious, The rates are extremely good. The wifi works in the rooms and they offer purified tap water in the rooms. Great coffee in the morning!!!!! A very peaceful setting on the north end of the peninsula. No TV which was a bonus not to have the distraction.

What more could you want!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DavidG916
BC
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I spent about 2 weeks at the Maya Beach Resort in Feb 2012 and was very happy with the hotel and restaurant.
I was in the Toucan room which had a fabulous breeze off the ocean and lots of space. My room, and I suspect all the rooms at the hotel, are not like many hotel rooms. There is no fridge or tv or phone in your room. I liked that, but if people went there expecting those things, they could be disappointed.
The room was great and quite quiet.

The hotel is right on the beach and there is plenty of space to sit in a hammock or hang out by the pool.

The hotel staff go out of their way to make sure you have the things you need and that you have any tours or day trips arranged.

The restaurant was fabulous. I was lucky enough to be there over Valentine's Day and got to sit in on the 10 course dinner that husband-owner John prepared with his staff. It was amazing Truly one of the best meals of my life.
I ate almost every meal at the hotel and was always very satisfied, to say the least.
My only issue with the restaurant was that there was one waiter/bartender who wouldn't wait on me, no matter what, or so it seemed.
He would come by the folks hanging around the pool and bring drinks and food for the people on each side of me, and would magically disappear before I could place an order. Every time, for 2 weeks. I got the impression he wasn't a fan of diversity because he certainly could chat up the pretty girls but I could have died of thirst in a chair right next to them.
Aside from that blip, which I chalk up to personality rather than the hotel/restaurant itself, I think the place was close to flawless.

The restaurant was packed every night and clearly people were coming from other places in Placencia to eat there, because it is completely worth it.
And really, for the quality of what you receive, everything is very reasonably priced.

I'd certainly go back to the Maya Beach Hotel if I was back in Placencia.

Room Tip: I liked the Toucan room, but the desk staff will help you pick a room that suits your needs
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank EastsideSpike
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I just returned (March, 2012) from a week at the Flip Flop Palace, the adjacent beach house of the Maya Beach Hotel, run by Ellen (from Colorado) and John (from Sydney, Australia)...a delightful and truly helpful couple.

All the comforts and privacy of your own place, on the beach, with a deck to have your morning coffee and feel the gentle breeze. Your accommodation comes fully outfitted with kitchen, cooking utensils, and all other necessities, or if like me, simply go next door to the Maya Beach Hotel's top-rated restaurant (Belize's #1 eatery!) - The Bistro. Excellent menu, local specials each night, international wine selection, and a lot less expensive than anything comparable in the States.

I highly recommend for a couples getaway, where you can relax by the pool or take a short bike ride into Placencia visting a host of local boutiques, walk The Path, have coffee and lunch or simply meet the locals...some of the friendliest people around. Ask about local tours, too. Marlon at the front desk, or Ellen are happy to accomodate...they arranged three separate tours for me and made it all so easy.

Have fun!

Room Tip: The Flip Flop palace - their house next door - gives you privacy and comfort with all the access to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank BobtoBarbados
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We arrived without a reservation and were fortunate enough to get a room. A excellent location away from the bustle of Placencia, but close.

Right on a beautiful stretch of beach and very nice rooms. An attentive and professional staff and some of the best food you’ll find anywhere.

Highly recommended

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We chose this hotel according to the reviews we had read on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed at all. I really want to thank the staff which has been so kind and helpful. They even found a way to send me my iPod back to Canada!
The restaurant is awesome too!

1 Thank keaturtle
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Maya Beach Hotel. We stayed in the Coconut room with 2 friends and had a great time. The Coconut room felt more like a suite then a normal hotel room. It had a main room with a sitting area, bathroom and queen sized bed; It also had a separate bedroom with another queen sized bed. It was very accommodating for 4 people. There were air conditioners in both rooms that guests can control, but we found that the ceiling fans were more than enough to keep the rooms at a comfortable temperature. There was also a safe in the room to store your valuables in.

The beach was very clean and had a variety of beach chairs and hammocks for relaxing (bugs really weren’t an issue for us). There were also 3 kayaks and a few bikes on site for people looking to mix some physical activity into their vacation. Ellen was a great host. She did everything she could to accommodate our requests and make our stay a very pleasant one.

An added bonus was the fact that the hotel also houses one of the best restaurants in Placencia. We ate at the Maya Beach Bistro a lot while we were in Belize, and we loved every minute of it. I will have a separate review for the Bistro, but I did want to mention that it was one of the highlights of our stay.

The hotel is about 3 hours form Belize City. If you plan on doing some excursions during your trip, or you want to visit Placencia etc, I would highly recommend renting a car. It will probably save you money in the long run if you decide to do some excursions that are further away. For example, we did the ATM cave tour. It would have cost us about $200 per person to have a guide come and pick us up at the hotel. Instead we paid $85 per person (and about $40 in gas) and drove ourselves to the tour. I am really glad that we ended up renting a car.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Maya Beach Hotel to anyone looking for a nice relaxing hotel with great food and reasonable prices. Our stay was in the beginning of March 2012.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rob N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
11.6 km away
0.6 km away
Green Parrot Beach Houses
Green Parrot Beach Houses
#10 of 19 in Placencia

Been to Maya Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!