“Favorite Hotel Experience Ever”
Review of Maya Beach Hotel

and 1 more site!
Maya Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Dallas, Texas
“Favorite Hotel Experience Ever”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My husband and I just spent four nights/five days here on our honeymoon (upper Dreamsicle room), and I have never had such a relaxing vacation. When I was searching TripAdvisor for the best hotel fit for us in Placencia I read many reviews of this property, and the only 'complaints' I saw were about rooms that need updating, the lack of blackout shades and TVs, etc. Save yourself some time: if you care about fancy rooms, blackout shades to block the sunrise and cable TV on vacation, don't stay here. If you're looking for relaxation, peace and quiet, and unbelivable food, STAY HERE! There are only about 10 rooms, and we felt like we had the grounds to ourselves most of the time. The rooms are simple, but you are right on the beach! And I personally loved the sunlight streaming in my room at 6am. Ellen and John are so friendly and attentive, and Marlin gave us awesome recommendations for activities and booked us on a great snorkel trip. We loved everyone on staff. The food was incredible, and we ended up eating at the Bistro for all meals but one. Be sure to order the fish specials! I can't rave about this place enough. It's close enough to town to take a quick cab or bus, but far enough away to avoid the crowds. There is no question that I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Calgary
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and couldn't have been happier. The owners, Ellen and John, were absolutely wonderful! We ate at their Bistro for almost every meal and enjoyed every one. The staff were also very kind and knowledgeable. We stayed in the Toucan room, with beautiful beach views and woke up to the sunrise each morning. The room was very clean and they were kind enough to do our laundry for us in a matter of hours. They offer free bike and kayak rentals, happily arranged tours and outings and even arranged our flights and transport to the local airport.

We would highly recommend this hotel and restaurant to anyone staying in the area, you won't regret it. Thank you Ellen, John and staff for an amazing end to our vacation in Belize!

Brit and Sarah

Room Tip: Toucan room was spacious, with hardwood floors, fans/AC and a beautiful beach view!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank beingess
Idaho
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We spent an incredible few days at the Maya Beach Hotel. Marlin at the front desk was so thoughtful and helpful that he made our stay an experience of a life time! The Hotel is in a great location -- quiet, safe. The food was unbelievable and the kids had a great time on the beach and in the pool!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We can only agree with all the other positive reviews of Maya Beach Hotel on tripadvisor. Spacious, comfortable accommodations, pleasant surroundings - and of course, some of the best restaurant meals in Belize. In our four days at the hotel the four of us tried nearly everything on the menu and were never disappointed - the peanut encrusted fish was a real favourite. John, Ellen and Marlin were very helpful and "flexible" in assisting us with sightseeing advice and booking a wonderful snorkelling trip with Avalon Divers. The small swimming pool at the hotel was particularly welcome on those days when windy conditions made swimming in the ocean less inviting. You will want to bike (complimentary at the hotel) or drive to the village of Placentia, as Maya Beach is a ways out of town. Rates seem competitive and represent good value for the money spent.

Room Tip: Book an upstairs room if you can for best views and ocean breezes.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver
Reviewed 25 March 2012

What we were looking for

A quiet beachfront place with good food onsite, in or near Placencia.

General location
The location of the Maya Beach resort is in the area of Maya Beach on the Placencia Peninsula. On the ocean, facing east. A nice location. More of a collection of resorts, hotels and vacation houses than a village, it is a bit out of the way, which is good for those who wish not to be in town. A $20 US taxi ride gets you to the friendly quaint town of Placencia. Across the road from the resort is a lumber yard. The resort is on the highway, more of a lonesome highway, than a busy one. Noise is rarely if ever an issue. Exception was one night at 4am a forklift loaded two trucks with lumber at the lumber yard. I am confident that if this were a re occurring issue, the owners would take it up with the lumberyard. An isolated case, but still my accurate experience.

Cleanliness

Very clean. Maid service daily. You are on the beach here, so expect sand in you room. No critters.

The Rooms

We stayed in “Flip Flop Palace” managed but not owned by Maya Beach Hotel. Marlon suggested the palace would be best if we wanted quiet (aside from the sweet sound of the ocean). He was correct. The palace is rustic, but we are totally OK with that. It’s like being at an old family cabin (only a bit pricier) Some of the palace, like much of what we saw in Belize is in need of paint and repair. The layout includes a regular sized open kitchen with bar stools, all of the lights worked, there was an air conditioner which we never chose use. A little cramped but still nice. The palace is a 2 minute walk down the freshly raked sand from the main resort/hotel. We were happily isolated. Hot water good for 2 showers, water pressure 2 out of 5. My only gripe would be window coverings. The are none, so come 6 am, like it or not, that beautiful sun will come a risin’ over the Caribbean heralding you into the day. Lights ON! Black out curtains, wind thru curtains or california shutter shades would be the main improvement needed here.

Sleep and bed comfort

so-so. The fold out bed was pretty bad, our bed, the main bed, was foam. We didn’t get sore backs, but I wouldn't use the word comfortable either. Pillows.....2.5 out of 5.

Amenities
The hotel has a small nice pool, chairs everywhere, a pier with a palapa. I wouldn’t say the grounds are manicured, but they are very well kept. The sand on the beach is raked daily and the staff clean up any debris that may have washed up. Most wooden beach chairs could use some form of repair. The elements are destructive out there so their condition comes with the geography, I suppose. The chairs in the best condition are at the pool and in the bistro.

Food and Drink
The resort’s bistro is known to have some of the best food in Belize. We had all of our breakfasts there, a few lunches and two dinners there. We enjoyed some meals more than others, some truly outstanding dishes were Pizza (a deep rich sauce), pancakes, Amber Jack (a fish) and eggs benny. A very nice selection of wine and other drinks.

The Staff

All of the staff other than the owners appear to be locals. The staff are very kind, warm, personable and friendly. Other locals we spoke with said the staff are very happy because the employers are good, kind people. 5 / 5.

The Crowd

The Hotel isn’t huge, so it’s tough to pin down the crowd. For the most a mellow bunch some 60’s, some 20’s, there didn’t seem to be the “young parents with pre-teen children. It is common to see local expats dropping in to the bistro for 11am bloody mary’s etc.

The Vibe

Mellow, laid back, slightly isolated.

Pros

Oceanfront location, good food, wonderful staff, complimentary kayaks and bicycles. Very good concierge service.

Cons

Lack of window coverings was a huge deal to us.

Suggestions
Perhaps a few more “shade” options for the poolside. Window coverings.

Summary

We would return. We did stop by Singing Sands, which is nearby. It did appear more deluxe, but I’n not sure we would’ve been able to enjoy the quiet isolation which we were granted.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank DKTravler
Orcas
Reviewed 22 March 2012

If you want a real Belize experience you must stay at the Maya Beach Hotel and Bistro. We spent two nights at the hotel then 12 nights in the Upper Dreamsicle House in March 2012. The owners Jon and Ellen were so gracious and helpful to make sure we had the best time possible. The whole staff were friendly, and helpful. We can't say enough about how much we enjoyed the Bistro. You must try the Wonton Tacos, and the Shrimp Stuffed Squid, and whatever fish special of the night. How many places in the world can you go to dinner in your bare feet? Ellen is very happy to arrange any excersions you might want to take. We had a great time!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My wife and I stayed the Maya Beach for 11 nights. It was an excellent experience. The hotel is owned by John and Ellen. Their goal is always to ensure their guest's experience was virtually perfect. Whenever we had a request, Ellen and her staff made it happen. Thank you John and Ellen. We ate many meals at the hotel's bistro. The Bistro was voted the best restaurant in Belize for 2010 by the Belize Tourism Board. The food was top-notch, in presentation, freshness, creativeness, and quality. The best Fry-jacks ever!. I enjoyed the Cacao Pork Chop with Papaya-Chipotle-Coconut Sauce so much I had that twice. It was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. John, you're an awesome and inspirational chef! The Coconut Shrimp were to die for. Big, fresh, and deeply breaded with the hotel's own coconuts. My wife's favorite was the Peanut & Coconut Encrusted Fish Filet. It was very, very well prepared. Each dish we ate at the Bistro was a special and unique creation ranging from great to exquisite. Last, don't miss the Peanut Brittle Ice Cream Pie!

Well, on to the rooms. - We spent 9 nights in the Jaguar Room. For a couple, this is a great room. Clean and bright, with a nicely tiled large shower. The bed was comfortable. We turned on the air conditioner at night and both slept very well. You step out the front door and you're on the beach. After leaving the Jaguar room, we spent two more night in the lower level of the Dreamsicle House. The Dreamsicle House would be great for 2 or three couples (it had two rooms with three beds). For the two of us it was very nice, but we didn't need that much room. A nice feature of the Dreamsicle House is that it has its own pool. :) It is also situated right on the beach.

When we were leaving, Ellen asked me what I enjoyed the most about our stay. I replied back the best part of our stay at Maya Beach was the restaurant and the staff. Everyone always smiled, and was very friendly. Time and time again they went out of the way with friendly conversation and attentiveness. Thank you Ellen for hiring such great people! So here's to Tracy, Marlin, Becky, Errin, Oscar, Avi, Cedric, Leo, Phillip, Kenton, and Leo. You are all awesome, and made my wife's and my vacation memorable.

One last special thanks to Kim. When we left the hotel and arrived at the Placencia airport, I realized I left a piece of luggage back at the hotel. Well, our flight left in twenty-five minutes and there was not enough time to drive back and get it without missing our flight. I called the hotel, Kim answered and without hesitation, she said she would bring me my bag. She arrived in time, we made our flight, and all was well. Kim, I said it then and I say it again, thank you and you made my day!

All in all, I'd highly recommend the Maya Beach Hotel for anyone wanting to visit Belize. :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple