“Disappointed and hungry...”

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Placencia
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointed and hungry...”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The first night we were welcomed for dinner down on the pier and discovered that it was really the ONLY place that we were able to eat. They had a chicken, beef, fish, one of rice/pasta/potato selection, buffet style every night. Breakfast and lunch were served in the same place in the same style. The marketing materials say 3 restaurants, this is just not true.
f you are all inclusive there is one where you order a la carte twice, and then every other meal is buffet. The all you can drink is only Belize liquor (moonshine) or beer.
We went for one of our two a la carte meals the day after we arrived and my husband got sick (likely from the lettuce) and was sick for the rest of the trip. He ate nothing but bread and bottled water for the remainder of our trip. And when we ordered him chicken soup, it was too strong boivril stock that he couldn't eat - and they wanted to charge him more than $10 for it!
The water is dirty due to construction and you can NOT swim in the water in the resort, so it's the pool or you have to take the trip into town to be able to swim in the ocean.
It is beautiful, but they promised way more than they delivered.
This was a HUGE disappointment of a trip for us.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DDToronto99
Julia291977, Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
I would like to thank you for taking out the time to write this review. It is unfortunate thst your husband got sick while you were traveling. I remember your stay here and I remember the Front Desk supervisor offering assistance. Again I humbly apologize if the Front Desk was charging you anything for the soup your husband received especially since you were on an all inclusive package and you were not suppose to be paying for food and drinks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Toronto
Reviewed 22 March 2012

A friend and I went to this resort on March 7th, 2012, and stayed for a week. During the trip we met up with other people to hang and have fun with. The resort itself is very nice, clean and well kept. The staff couldn't have been better. Exceptionally pleasant and always will to help in any way. Thanks, Sheldon and the rest> I would definitely go back and recommend it to others. This is not the place to go if you want late night partying. Everything closes down pretty early and beings early the next day.

There was an issue on the karaoke night. Shortly after we arrived, the owner showed up and took over. Apparently, he was trying to impress some private investors. Needless to say, the fun was over for the rest of us. Nobody else was allowed to sing. So, we left.

Another problem we had was trying to get pricing for a scuba and snorkel excursion. Liz was VERY helpful (thanks, Liz) However, as much as she tried to help, it took her 4 days to get an answer for us as her manager was never available to confirm the information and pricing. By the time we got an answer it wasn't worth spending all that money. We ended up booking through an outside company in town.

Internet access is outrageous. You may purchase 30 mins, 1 day or the whole week. If you want people to spread the word and show their friends on Facebook, Twitter and such, give the first 30 minutes for free. It's free advertising.

This is an eco friendly resort. They change the bed sheets every 3 days. (you can ask for new ones daily if you wish) The towels are crunchy. Clearly, they are dried outside. Not fluffy but not bad either. Can be rough on the sunburn.... I found out the hard way. Also, the little bottles of shampoo are supposed to last a long time. Bring your own.

If you are traveling on Sunwing from Canada, BEWARE! Your carry-on luggage has a weight limit. If over, you will be asked to move items to your checked luggage. Then, if that's over weight, they will charge you. Makes absolutely no sense since once you go past security you can buy whatever you want in the shops and weigh down your carry-on as much as you want. Plus, on the way back they don't weigh your luggage. Scam?!?

Over all, The Placencia Hotel and Resort is a VERY nice place. Of all places I've been, it's the first I would go back to. The good definitely outweighs the bad. As long as the prices don't go any higher I would consider it a good deal.

Room Tip: You can choose from hotel style rooms, mini kitchens or full apartments. Be specific as to what you...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bj W
Julia291977, Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Thanks for mentioning that the resort is very nice and well kept. Sheldon and the rest of our staff would like to say they sure enjoyed having all of you here. Liz too remembers you. I am happy that after all your experience you still consider The Placencia Hotel a very nice place.
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Just got back from the Placencia Hotel and all I can think about is going back! The resort is tucked away in a beautiful private area ... but still very close to the city and local restaurants. Our room was beautiful - master suite- large balcony overlooking the pool. Much to my surprise, I slept like a baby my first night there! Woken up early every morning to enjoy the most amazing sunrise I have ever experienced! There is a small gym - with all of the essentials. If you like to play tennis...don't forget to bring your rackets(or rent them there)! There's also an organic garden that you can stroll through. If you like to get a little color then you will love the large beautiful pool with a built in bar next to it - just don't forget your sunscreen! The staff at the Placencia Hotel are all very friendly and quick to help out with any request. All of the drinks are yummy, the blackened fish sandwich is to die for...and the margarita pizza was great too! It was my first time in Belize however, I am hoping it will not be my last!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked good to me!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zahra A
The Managemet and staff would like to thak you for taking out your time to write about your experience at The Placencia Hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your room and yes I must agree the sunrise is beautiful at this time of the year. We would love to have you back again.
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Belize is quickly turning into a regular getaway for our family! The Placencia Hotel is the most comfortable and friendly place to stay on the peninsula. You can spend your whole trip right at the the resort enjoying the pool, fine food, friendly staff and the many excursions to places around the country. Or if you prefer, the Placencia Hotel is a great base to go exploring!
If your prefer a Cancun party trip, Placencia is not the best place for you. However, if you want to unwind, decompress, have all the comforts of home and more in a safe friendly environment... then Belize and the Placencia Hotel is as good as it gets anywhere in the world!
Enjoy your time is this wonderful country.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great with great views. Certainly waking up each morning looking at the pool or t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Pete L
Julia291977, Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
The Management and Staff really appreciate your comments about our hotel. It is also interesting about getting down here through Cancun.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I was there the week of Mach 1 to 9.
I dont know what else I can add to all those good reviews out there, everybody is good and everything is so neat.
I paid the difference to upgrade the room...and I got an apartment, with a great kitchen and dining room right on the beach, see pictures. It was very well worth paying for it, great location!

For those only considering staying on the beach and relax...you might want to skip my review, not for you.
I traveled a lot around the country, you name a place I was there, I rented a car from Barefoot Rentals (book ahead) the first day and I returned on my way back to the airport.
I ever took a two days trip, on my own, to San Ignacio and Guatemala, spent the night in San Ignacio and the hotel gave me food for two days! Just ask for a cooler and they will have it ready and packed for you with food and even beer at the reception next morning.

The only word of advise is, if you are taking a lot of trips, rent a car, it is way cheaper. If you want to go, lets say to Monkey River reservation, the trip will cost you $100 US, the local guides will ask for $45 to $50
The trip at any ruins is never less than $100 through the hotel, the entrance at the ruins is $5 US, but you have to get there.
Scuba diving is expensive, and not remarkable, I suggest you pass it. It is $135 for two modest dives and $100 for snorkeling. and long boat rides, dont even think of the Blue Hole.
Expensive and far. it is a two days trip.
Another reason to rent a car, a lot of people have done that, is going to the village. It is very nice and very good food. I suggest Omar's for food, fresh fish and cheap. I ate out a lot, never paid more that $10-$15 for a good dinner anywhere.
Caracol ruins are spectacular...but is is a rough ride in through the jungle. About 38 miles on a bumpy road, you need a full day for that trip. Hotel doesnt offer it, they will advise you to go to San Ignacio and book a trip from there. Again, if you have your car it is worth doing it, if you are into Maya ruins.
The same for Tikal, Guatemala, awesome experience, but you need two days, one to get to the border, another one for the ruins and back. I loved it though.
Traffic on the rods is a breeze, no traffic, no cops, only friendly drivers and people, dont be afraid to stop and ask for directions and other info, what a great country. I traveled a lot, this is where I felt most comfortable touring and exploring places.
I fully recommend this place and country to everybody!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank aquauomo
Julia291977, Manager at The Placencia Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
HAVENLY PLACE
The Management and Staff are really pleased with your positive review. I am very impressed with your travelling skills and yes our country is great to see. Most of all I would like to thank you for putting up such lovely photos of our hotel.
Ontario
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We were at the Placencia from January 25- February 1 with all our Canadian friends who flew in with Sunwing.

Left Toronto with a group of Sunwing people, some going to Cancun and others to Placencia . It takes close to 12 hours travel time from beginning to end but it is well worth it. Flew to Cancun, stayed on plane for close to an hour , then onto Belize City which is a 45 minute flight. In Belize City we had to go through customs which was quick and picked up our luggage. Had to walk out of the main terminal and around the corner was the desk for Mayan Air. Plenty of time to change here and grab a drink before hopping on the 10 seater Sessna. There were 5 flights and they had us very orgainzed. NOTE... Grab some snacks at the airport as it will be your last chance unless you go into Placencia later on your trip.

Arrived in Placencia, very small but clean airport. Waited for the bus to get our luggage and then we were off. Most of us were getting tired so when we arrived and they welcomed us with a cold rum punch, it was perfect. Check in was quick. Our friends were upgraded to a king suite...beautiful. We were in a seaview room close to the kitchen and front desk. Our other friends were ok with theirs but I did ask for another room the next day. We were then placed on the 3 rd floor in the condo section. Much newer and the view was awesome. Water and coffee left everyday. If they missed, just ask and it was there within 15 minutes.

The pool was terrific. Yes it is a saltwater pool that could be cool but it was so refreshing on the hot hot days. The sunloungers were very well padded and the best we have ever had. The pool was kept very clean. The pool bar opened around 9:30 til around 6 pm. Music wasn't crazy loud but the drinks and the bartenders ( thanks Elda, Sheldon ,John and Oscar) were great. Try the horney monkeys, blue hawiians and the dirty monkey's were great along with the local beer (Beliken). Yes if you want booze that is not local it will be charged to your room. Really people , local booze was just fine. Snacks are available at the pool in the morning and afternoon but it does go quickly and is not always hot. Towels are available at the pool also. We only got bit the last day by the no-seeums. Just bring bug spray and anti-itch cream.

The beach is raked and cleaned twice a day. However , very few ventured in because it was milky brown and not inviting. A few people who spent the day at the beach did get bit by the sand fleas. We did take the canoes out and paddled around the rock breakwall. Some people did snorkel farther out near these breakwalls. Due to the average age of most of the Canadians the being around 45 or older it wasn't a crazy place. Which was fine with us.

The food was pretty good. There was always a choice and we felt the food got better everyday we were there. We did mention to one of the staff that the food was cool to cold and the next day it was kept hotter. Every meal is out on the pier and yes the breeze does cool the food down. Sometimes they would run out of food and we just asked for more and within 10 minutes we had it. Don"t forget it had to be brought out onto the pier from the kitchen. It takes time and just relax! Have a drink! The bar on the pier does shut down around 9:30 or so. The ala carte wasn't the best. Same menu for the 2 dinners you are allowed to book. We did order a cake for my husbands birthday and it was brought to the beach one night . Also a few people asked for a small lunch to take on some of their travels off the resort and they were worried about the local food. No problem from the staff regarding this. You won't starve. NOTE:there is no place on the resort or near the resort to buy munchies so go to town early in your stay, do without or buy at the airport.

Staff... We couldn' t say enough about the staff. They never expected a tip and the Belizan people are the most friendly quiet and helpful people. And they speak English!!! We were very impressed with all the staff in the the resort. Let the staff know of a problem, they can't fix it if they don't know .

Safety...there are security around the resort day and night. At night they patrol the beach and we all felt very safe. There are also safe's in each room which could hold a lot of valuables.

Excursions...some of us went on the Monkey River tour from the resort. Meal was good but not a lot of wildlife. Guides were awesome. You can get the tours from town and cheaper but you have to get to town as the are no shuttles from the resort. But ask around and see what can be arranged. We also did the all day Mayan Ruins tour. It is a very long day but enjoyable.
We had arranged to snorkel with a tour from town but the water got too rough. Next time we hope as others did go and said it was fantastic. We did take the local bus into town one afternoon. Cost a dollar and it was quite an experience.

Pros.... Clean resort, friendly staff, pool, food, drinks, small group of Canadians that we all got to know, quiet resort and the people of Belize are fantastic.

Cons...travel time, no shuttle service to town for guests, no gift shop, limited swimming and snorkeling from beach.

We loved the small resort atmosphere. There was very little construction while were there, so it was not noisy. Bring school supplies for the kids in the nearby villages. Very much needed and appreciated.

Sunwing was our biggest issue. They changed our dates, with no compensation, told us internet was free with a seaview ( still dealing with this) we paid 50 dollars for the week. Signal was good near the front desk and bar. We did use face-time and Skype.

Would we go again...for sure but stay 2 weeks as 2 days are travelling days. In summary, this was a very enjoyable trip.

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank wamcod
Wow What a Week.
Management and Staff are very pround we played a small role in making your week enjoyable.
Thornhill, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

So My boyfrined and I just returned from the placencia last night, and it was simply amazing!
We flew with Sunwing and couldnt be happier with the trip there. The Maya planes (little plane) you take to the placencia is a incredible experiance, because you get aperfectly clear view of Belize. It is an excursion in its self.

Once we arrived at the Hotel, check in was a brezze, I would say within 2 minutes we had a drink in our hand and withing 5 minutes we were in our BEAUTIFUL spacious clean room! They provide plently of towels, and bathropes. Beds are super comfy and sheets and pillow cases are changed often! ( never seen that before ).

The property is like living in a perfect screen saver! it is perfection. Grounds are maintained every single day. These people work very hard and it shows. The pool is very clean and often empty, as people are on excursions. It is also a quite area, perfect for couples! It really is paradise.

The food was YUMMMY!!!! I do not understand some of the comments on this side, like really what do these people eat at home? There was a great fresh selction of fruits and veggies everyday breakfast, lunch and dinner. Omlettes were made fresh for you, and eggs any way you like them. We had these every morning, the guys making them are such sweethearts and did it just how you like it! Some of my favourites was the black pepper steak (OMG!) breaded beef schnitzle, potato salad,fried rice and i could go on forever! At the al la carte you had to try the Stuffed pork chop and banana chimychunga, I dont know who the chef is, but he deserves a raise!I would have liked to try some more Belizan food, but you need to understand they need to make everyone happy.

The drinks..... I dont know where to start, Franco, Sammy, and Ceasar put so much effort in making every drink just perfect. Hands down the best i ever had, dirty banana, frozen margarita, mohito, pina coladas,& blue board. These guys were always a pleasure. So funny and sweet, always remember what you liked and how you liked it!

The staff overall was the best I have ever seen in any country and i have been to quite a few all inclusive resorts.The girls and guys at the pier resturant were great! Everyone went out of their way to say hi to you, to make you feel welcome, to ensure you have what you need. I cannot say enough about how incredible these people are. I will miss them dearly and cannot wait to visit again.

The guys working around the pool, never stop working! I have never seen such hard workers in my life. We always had fresh towels. someone would always wipe down the tanning beds ( which are incredibly comfertable), open our umbrellas. Just 5 star service.

I suggest to book your tours with the locals, as we found it was much cheaper. I felt like the hotel over prices these excursions and you dont get the same experaince as you would with locals. The locals need the money, not sunwing and the hote. We used Avadon divers for diving and snokling, and Trip and Travel for your land tours, Ruins cockscomb etc.

My advice to people thinking about this resort would be STOP thinking and book it. You will not regret it, ignore all negative reviews as these are clearly bitter people that arnt happy with anything. I had been to over 20 all inclusive resorts and this is in the top 3!
Belize is a beautiful country to explore, it is incredibly safe and the placencia is a great place to start.

I cannot wait to go back!

Thank you to all the beautiful belizan people that have made this trip unforgettable.

Room Tip: Ask for King size beds as the room is often bigger
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Olivera M
AMAZING HOLIDAY
Management and Staff (especially the bartenders) are so happy that they made your trip amazing.
We are glad that the effort we have put into making your trip wonderful did not go for nothing. I would love for you to save your screen saver to always pull it up at any time to remember your stay at The Placencia.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Placencia
3.1 km away
2.6 km away
Belize Ocean Club Resort
Belize Ocean Club Resort
#4 of 19 in Placencia

Been to The Placencia Hotel and Residences? Share your experiences!