“The retreat I needed :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Piece of Ground

A Piece of Ground
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“The retreat I needed :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

I absolutely fell in love with the place. It was peaceful clean and beautiful overall. The rooms were spacious and equipped with air conditioning,ceiling fans,and cable television. The bathrooms were nice and clean with stand up shower.I loved the kitchen and lounge area most because the view of the hills and trees were breathtaking. I enjoyed several mornings journaling,reading and lazing in the hammocks. It was beautiful! The host was amazing and taught us a lot about the foods,land,culture and sites. I fell in love with the place and intend to return sooner than later. I would love to bring my children next time :)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Akilah M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

The hospitality was amazing and the space was fantastic. It was exactly what we were looking for because we felt at home in the lounge area and could cook for ourselves in the beautiful kitchen area. The pool table is a major plus! The rooms were clean and well maintained. We were out so much visiting Mayan ruins, gorgeous waterfalls and going fishing on a speedboat that we didn't watch much tv, but it was available in our rooms. The AC worked well, but some nights I just slept with the shutters slightly open to get the natural air. It rained while we were there, but only during the night and was always sunny and warm by morning. We were connected to a guide who knew the people and the area well. My friend and I are have special dietary needs (I'm vegan and she eats fish) so we worried about how well we would eat there, but with the help of our host who knew of good restaurants and stores where we could purchase groceries, we ate like queens! The rates were affordable and well worth the experience. I will definitely be returning with my family. Not only was A Piece of Ground a beautiful bed and breakfast, but Punta Gorda was a beautiful town.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank bkworldtraveler
Dover, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

The rooms were really comfortable and the AC made sleeping through humid nights a snap. My trip to the Garifuna Village was the best. My guide knew the folks and made it easy for me to feel welcomed.

I was in the south looking for property. Although I didn't find what I was looking for at the time, I do know that when I go back, I'll certainly make A Piece of Ground my base of operations again!

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor that is closer to the communal kitchen and lounge areas.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank atonausar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

I needed a place to get away from hectic city life I'm so glad a chose a piece of ground!!!! The place and service was fantastic!!! Clean rooms and the staff was great to deal with. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Bxshell
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

Pros: The people that work at the guest house were very friendly and offered lots of assistance. They provided me with a bike to get to town. The AC was fantastic on warm days. They had TONS of DVD's to borrow for free. The kitchen area was great and used it multiple times each day. I was very happy to use the washer and dryer. The pool table was a great addition. We felt very safe not only because the area was safe, but because the owners have 6 pitbulls protecting their property. After a few days, the pitbulls were actually quite friendly after we got to know them. I used the hammocks a lot and enjoyed them. Town was't far away at all.

Cons: The internet wasn't working while we were there, so we had to go to town to gain internet access. Also, garbages weren't readily available and we had to put our garbage in empty grocery bags and then bugs would accumulate.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank megsta12
TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2008

It was a wonderful experience. The facilities were great: the rooms were spacious and comfortable. The house's setup was very warm and comfortable. The staff was extremely helpful and fun, always available to answer questions, make suggestions, and give tours. I do suggest, however, that anyone staying for more than a few days consider cooking, as restaurants in PG close early. Don't worry, the house has a beautiful kitchen with a great view. I highly recommend A Piece of Ground!

• Liked — Peaceful and relaxing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank amariTx
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2008

Great accomadations and great hospitality.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Danieladee
0.8 km away
Beya Suites
Beya Suites
#11 of 17 in Punta Gorda

Been to A Piece of Ground? Share your experiences!