“best time ever”

Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed 9 February 2012

jan 30 to feb 6 2012 very great service from all the staff and the grounds keepers, they saw my wife collecting shells and where bringing her cups full to short threw. food is great , we had al carte and buffet. roatan is a nice island , did not have anybody looking for hand outs.subway dive shop on site were pros top to bottom. side trips where cheeze and not worth the money from sunwing. we did our own much cheaper and better.we usally do not go back to same place or country ,BUT we will be back to TBBDR.yes the no-seums can be bad, use bug spray you will be ok, the last day i didnt and have lots of ichey bumps. the whole island is this way not just this resort.we meet the best gang of pple ever and will miss them all very much tony& debbie

Room Tip: small resort all the rooms good
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank tony k

Reviewed 7 February 2012

We stayed in December 2011 and had a great time. Excellent value, wonderful scuba diving with Subway Watersports and great location. We wanted someplace small and quiet and this fit the bill. it did get a little busy on occasion in the afternoon when a bus of cruise ship people came for a couple of hours. Most days there were about 6-10 people staying at the hotel which took some getting used to.

The staff were great and would help us with whatever we needed. It is a little ways from any town if you are into shopping or nightlife it's out of the way. The bugs were out but didn't get us too much but we spent most of our time at the pool instead of the beach.

We loved the food! Most days it was a la carte and the chicken fingers and calamri were extremely good, better than at home.

Would recommend to anyone after a nice small quiet place with great diving.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Canadian64
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at Turquoise Bay between January 23-30, 2012. I couldn't agree more with "gravysgal" review. In fact, I believe we were on the same dive boat for some dives. I chose this resort, after reading many reviews, for two primary reasons: quality of scuba diving, and remoteness of location. I received both in abundance.

I was assigned room 2 which was in the middle of the row of units 1-4. When I walked into the room I was initially disappointed but remembered the resort is classified as 3star. However, I then took a closer look at the room and noted a few things: the room was very clean, large, bathroom very acceptable, and, yes, the view from my room and balcony was breathtaking. There were chairs on the balcony which I used to sit, relax, and enjoy the view. I agree that there was very little room for storing clothes. I could have used more drawers and hangers but managed as I was alone. For two travellers, there is not enough storage so be prepared to live out of a suitcase for some articles of clothing. My room did have a connecting door but that wasn't really an issue for me as my lovely neighbours were quiet and retired early. All in all, I was content with the room. It's too bad the rooms aren't updated but then I'm sure I'd pay more. The real highlights, however, were the diving, grounds, service and excellent food. The quality and taste of every dish I ate made this resort way above three stars.

The scuba diving with Subway Watersports (see my review of Subway) was beyond exceptional. All the staff, Kim (Manager), Joe (Instructor), Osmond (DM), Max and Bruce (Boat Captains) were phenominal. They were kind, helpful, professional and extremely knowledgeable. I believe my diving skills improved a lot with their input and guidance. The level and quality of service definitely warrants their 5 star rating.

The grounds of Turquoise Bay are beautiful. There is an abundance of trees and flowers and the main areas look exactly like the pictures. I was not dissappointed with the common areas. The real gem, however, is the food and service. I sat with two different groups during my stay and everyone, without exception, raved about our meals. There was great variety and it always tasted fresh and delicious. Dining was a pleasure. Even more so because it was served by a prompt and friendly staff. You never waited long before you were waited on -and I mean quite literally waited on. And I will add that the level of service wasn't contingent on tips. It was really excellent service in and of itself. This impressed me a lot. The management at Turquoise has instilled the idea of service; to it's credit. But, of course, if you're satisfied, tips are always a nice gesture. As they are anywhere.

And yes - it's quiet. TB is off the beaten track which suited my requirements. There is no real night life except the quiet times you want to make and enjoy yourself. If you want action, then the West End is more for you.

The one real drawback to this area is BUG BITES and I don't think I suffered nearly as much as others. Be sure to pack heavy duty bug spray and A LOT of anti-itch cream. I'm sure I went through almost 2 tubes of Lanacaine cream to stop the itch and I was still affected. However, this annoyance wouldn't be enough to stop me from returning.

If you're looking for a quiet, intimate resort, that's clean and dining excellent, then Turquoise Bay is for you. If you're interested in scuba diving or taking some PADI diving courses, then this resort is definitely for you. Subway Watersports is first class and the resort is certainly acceptable. I've stayed at large 5 star Jamaican resorts and I would choose Turqouise Bay over some of them. I preferred the friendly, personal, and attentive service of Turquoise bay over the "lost in the crowd" environment of much bigger resorts.

Enjoy your stay - bring plenty of bug spray - and relax in the casual atmosphere. Great spot for real R & R.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Beverley2828
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Only for those who truly appreciate the quiet seclusion above ground (R & R) and the awesome beauty under water (S & S). An almost perfect week (mosquitoes take their pound of flesh from anyone not covered in citronella oil and deet). Good food, fresh fruit and fish every day, friendly staff, no phones, no loud music, and almost only people sharing a common interest : exploring the reef.
Went for OWD certification, and the dedication of PADI diving staff made it possible. Kim, Ed, Veralyn, Shaz, Dr Tom, I am truly grateful. Hard work and study, in a good way, and oh-so rewarding !

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LadyinBraids
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at Turquoise Bay Resort (TBR) January 23rd to the 30th. We were originally booked at the Media Luna, but after all of the poor reviews we requested that Sunwing move us to TBR. We are so glad we made that choice.

Our main reason for visiting Roatan was for the SCUBA diving. Subway Watersports which is located on the property run an excellent dive operation. They are extremely organized, on time, with excellent dive masters and boat captains. At the beginning of our week we were assigned an area (numbered) where our equipment would be stored. We were also assigned a spot on the dive boat and each day our equipment would be set up for us. The valet service was a nice treat! Osmond our Dive Master and Max our Boat Captain were an excellent team that took amazing care of us. We did some good diving and were pleased overall. Please remember to tip your Dive Master and Boat Captain because they make very little money and rely heavily on the tips. They certainly deserve every extra penny you pay them. Rule of thumb is 10% of your dive package to each (so $30, not much for North Americans).

The food at this resort was excellent. We didn't eat a bad meal. Some days you ordered off a menu and other days they had a buffet set up. The staff were excellent. We were lucky to meet a couple that had already been there for 2 weeks who gave us the heads up on a few things. First, put at least 30% deet on before your sunscreen. Reapply if you get wet. The bugs are bad and if I had one complaint it would be the bugs, but that isn't anyone's fault. The other helpful piece of advise is that after the supervisors leave there is one particular staff member who will try to charge you for premium alcohol (i.e. Baileys). We were warned to just say "give me an alternative" or ask for a receipt. It happened to my husband when he asked for a martini, and the exact person we were warned about told my husband it would cost extra. My husband told him to keep his drinks and said "I guess you don't want to be tipped this week". Suddenly our martinis were free. We never tipped him once.

The rooms are sufficient. We had a room in block 5 through 8. We had an end unit which was nice and quiet. Our friends were in a middle unit and said that there were adjoining doors which made the noise quite bad between rooms. I'm glad we were fortunate to be put in an end unit. My only complaint about the room was that is was getting tired. A fresh coat of paint, and even wiping the walls in the bathroom would make a big difference. We had a lot of ants and critters in our room, but it is expected given the climate, and the fact that doors all have huge gaps allowing all sorts of things in. There is very little storage space for your clothing and only 6 hangers in the closet! The bed was comfortable and the showers were nice and hot with good pressure. What else do you need?

So all in all, I wouldn't hesitate to return to this resort. The biggest thing holding us back is that there are many other places to dive that we want to explore, and the BUGS!!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 through 12 have ocean views. Ask for an end unit otherwise the adjoining doors will allow a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WhitbyScubaGirl
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Bring at least 35 $1 U.S. bills for one week so you can tip the woman who cleans your room (do it every day as staff changes), the men who carry your luggage (at the beginning and end), and the wait staff for each of the three meals and for the bar from time-to-time. Sometimes the front desk has enough $1s to provide change.
The food was wonderful with many great selections of fish, chicken, beef, pork, soups and so on.
The resort is lovely and the staff are wonderful.
There are mosquitos, sand fleas etc. so bring at least one can of bug spray with 30% deet. I sprayed but still got bit but not as badly as others who did not have spray.
We agree with the recent positive postings. We were there a week and had a great time.

Room Tip: We liked the older rooms (1 to 12) but the new rooms in the 2 story building are bigger and lovely b...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Absolutely wonderful resort if you want to recharge your batteries. This is a very quiet and secluded little resort. There was approx seven couples staying at the resort. Approx 25 minutes from the airport. Check-in was 5 minutes. Staff were friendly and rooms were spotless. Food was excellent for an all inclusive resort, with ala-carte every other day. The dive shop was well equipped and the dive masters made you feel very welcome and relaxed. It was our first dive experience and thanks to Kim and Ed, Shan and Dr Tom it was a great experience.

The ferry to the mainland was uneventful and enjoyable.

If you want nightlife and crowds etc. then may I suggest you go to West Bay.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo