Review Highlights
Great trip- will be back!

Amazing! I spent a week at Freedive Utila to do some fun training dives after finishing my... read more

Reviewed May 29, 2024
Carlyn Z
Seattle, Washington
They helped me break through my mental barriers

I can definitely recommend this amazing free dive school, family, home away from home! I booked... read more

Reviewed May 17, 2024
Jess M

All reviews free diving hold your breath human body snorkel session scuba tanks dive deeper safety aspects advanced courses perfect environment learning curve fellow students safe environment six days learn how underwater world big thanks tex
Selected filters
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Read the title of this review! This is a mental sport and I highly recommend doing courses with Tex if you want to learn a lot about yourself. I never imagined myself going deeper than 5 meters but at day 2 I went below 20 meters. And now I can hold my breath more than 3 minutes thanks to all the theory and practical exercises taught by Tex. He is a knowledgeable and inspiring instructor that gives you personal attention and shows you things about yourself that you have never experienced before.
My best recommendations.

Date of experience: February 2012
1  Thank Henrik M
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Great experience that I kindly recommend any scuba diver or any person who enjoy water as a part of his life.
I came here on Utila at Gunter's Ecomarine to do my DM and Instructor course and I was seeing all the time nice people talking to me about what the amazing was going on doing free diving with Tex and doing the first course and either the advanced too, trying to encourage me...but as my focus was scuba dive and I was busy learning and working at the same time, I didn't feel the right moment to start free diving until January 2012!

The adventure began with my Dive Master in training Jana and we enjoy the first theory class together, after a while I went to the water with Tex, and some experienced free divers and I did my first dives...what amazing experience to feel yourself free in the see and just your body and mind.

Personally any diver and also any Instructor has to keep something for his own, and I am keeping free diving as part for myself...

If any one's is thinking to try, I just recommend Tex and the amazing job is doing with all the students!

Learn from your body, learn for your mind, enjoy free diving!!!!!!!!!!!

Date of experience: June 2011
2  Thank Oriol P
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I came to Utila to learn how to SCUBA. The plan was originally to get both an Open Water and Advanced certification, but when I saw Tex and the other Apnea Total instructors in action I ditched the Advanced certification and took the intro to freediving class instead. I am so glad I did!

Apnea Total is a rare opportunity to push yourself physically and mentally. I'm confident in the water, but I never thought I'd be able to dive to 20 meters on a single breath (after only two days of instruction!) The classroom portion of the course teaches you basic physiology as well as techniques to stay calm and focused under water. You know what to expect, but nothing compares to the incredible sensation of being down there and knowing you just exceeded your own expectations.

Tex is a fantastic instructor -- confident, knowledgeable, and encouraging. He spent one-on-one time with each student in our class, doing freedives alongside us and then giving feedback on the surface. I always felt completely safe, and hope to make it back to Utila soon to take the advanced course!

Date of experience: August 2011
4  Thank slg0202
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Tex is a calm thorough instructor. He walks you through the physiological and psychological aspects of the sport and then trains you on the techniques to explore the deeps. I now know alot more about myself and how I work. You won't regret trying this.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

If you are in Utila , you probably love water; this is the place where you'll spend some quality time. Tex is a really cool guy, one of the most respected people on the island and he really knows a lot about diving and freediving. During the courses i found out things about my body i had no ideea about. To be able to dive in one breath to -6m on my first day and to progress to -38 in a matter of a couple of weeks it was trully amazing. He really knows how to make you give your best. A really cool crowd to hang out with; very good equipment , training adapted to every individual and a really laid back atmosphere. Highly reccommended !!!

Date of experience: July 2011