Review Highlights
Great trip- will be back!

Amazing! I spent a week at Freedive Utila to do some fun training dives after finishing my... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Carlyn Z
Seattle, Washington
They helped me break through my mental barriers

I can definitely recommend this amazing free dive school, family, home away from home! I booked... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Jess M

All reviews free diving hold your breath human body snorkel session scuba tanks dive deeper safety aspects advanced courses perfect environment learning curve fellow students safe environment six days learn how underwater world big thanks tex
Selected filters
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I came to Utila to get my PADI open water certification earlier this year. Finished the course, but was not convinced scuba was for me, felt like I was on a guided tour with many restrictions and little physical challenge...

A couple of days after my PADI course I met Teo and Mark from Apnea Total Freediving and they changed they way I experience the ocean forever!

I did the 2 day Freediver course with Teo. It was a combination of theory in the morning with practical application of the morning lessons in the afternoon. After following Teo's instructions I was able to freedive to 18m on day one and 25m on day two of the course.

I didn't think that it was possible to learn so much in two days, but Teo's teaching methods were excellent! He was very patient and explained all techniques and safety exercises very clearly. Being a great freediver himself inspires confidence in what he is teaching and made me feel like I could test my limits in a safe way.

I am currently traveling in South East Asia and am freediving almost everyday. Thanks to what I learned with Apnea Total Freediving, I have been able to freedive some amazing sites normally accessible only to scuba divers. Only at a fraction of the price, since I no longer need scuba gear...

Next week I am going to complete my Advanced Freediver course. Needless to say, I haven't felt the need to scuba dive since I did the Apnea Total Freediver Course.

Thank you Teo and Mark!

Date of experience: May 2012
1  Thank Carlos O
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Me and my fiance started the basics course after finishing up a few scuba courses on the island. It amazed us both as to what we we're capable of in just 2 days! Even though we heard of similar stories from other people that have done the course it still surprised us. Tex (the instructor) played a special part getting us both relaxed and at ease throughout the course by explaining everything really well so there would be no surprises. Before the course I was really curious as I've always associated free diving as something pirates did to look for treasure from sunken ships along the sea floor. Well I was well off! But free diving in the Caribbean Sea to a 30m ship wreck can't help but put a little wight to my past perspective ; )

Date of experience: September 2012
1  Thank View_out_the_window
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Tex is a fantastic teacher... so relaxed, patient and wise. It was fascinating to learn about our internal 'equipment' and how and why free diving is an exciting and safe activity/sport. I wish I'd had more time so I could do the advanced course too! Next time...

Date of experience: September 2012
2  Thank kiwi_aim
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I took the 2 day Apnea Total beginner course with Teo in Utila. The course and the quality of teaching were excellent, with lots of advice and encouragment on how to train and progress in freediving. We dived the Haliburton wreck and after 2 days of the course and 4 days of training with Teo and Tex, I was diving through the wreck at 25m! An unreal experience.

I strongly advise anyone on Utila thinking of taking up freediving or even just wanting a new way to enjoy the islands reefs to head to the Ecomarine Dive Shop and talk to Tex or Teo.

Date of experience: June 2012
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Take home something that will be part of you forever.
Freediving may seem daunting, but you will realize that anyone can do it.
With an open mind and faith in your instructors you will find something amazing about yourself.

Date of experience: May 2012