Review Highlights
World Class Course

I finally took my beginner course and surprised myself in reaching the 21 meter goal. I’ve been... read more

Reviewed January 17, 2020
Otiliaj
Minneapolis, Minnesota
via mobile
UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE!!!

Freedive is something I always wanted to try but never had courage to go and do it. While having... read more

Reviewed November 25, 2019
Milochka21
San Francisco, California

All reviews felt great unforgettable experience dive shop tex scuba skills goal dives fears rescue udc
Selected filters
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a really fun and safe way to explore the depths around Utila. As a 40-year old Mr Mom with my more sporty days behind me, I was a bit intimidated about engaging in what I thought was an extreme sport. However, I found a patient instructor in Tex, who seems to focus more on knowledge and meditative techniques to get his students to the bottom. He got me down to 37 meters, and I found a new favorite sport.

Date of experience: August 2012
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Learning free diving with Apnea Total Utila was amazing. Tex is an amazing instructor in the classroom and in the water. I was so surprised at how fast I learned and how deep I got after just a 2 day class, great instruction. Felt really safe, never felt like I was in danger and Tex and everyone is very good at making sure you are safe and you never put your self in danger. The shop that Apnea works out of is great Ecomarine. Good atmosphere and beautiful views. If your in Utila and you ever though about freediving you definitely have to go to Apnea Total Utila!

Date of experience: August 2012
1  Thank Sdoyle88
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I came to Utila to get my PADI open water certification earlier this year. Finished the course, but was not convinced scuba was for me, felt like I was on a guided tour with many restrictions and little physical challenge...

A couple of days after my PADI course I met Teo and Mark from Apnea Total Freediving and they changed they way I experience the ocean forever!

I did the 2 day Freediver course with Teo. It was a combination of theory in the morning with practical application of the morning lessons in the afternoon. After following Teo's instructions I was able to freedive to 18m on day one and 25m on day two of the course.

I didn't think that it was possible to learn so much in two days, but Teo's teaching methods were excellent! He was very patient and explained all techniques and safety exercises very clearly. Being a great freediver himself inspires confidence in what he is teaching and made me feel like I could test my limits in a safe way.

I am currently traveling in South East Asia and am freediving almost everyday. Thanks to what I learned with Apnea Total Freediving, I have been able to freedive some amazing sites normally accessible only to scuba divers. Only at a fraction of the price, since I no longer need scuba gear...

Next week I am going to complete my Advanced Freediver course. Needless to say, I haven't felt the need to scuba dive since I did the Apnea Total Freediver Course.

Thank you Teo and Mark!

Date of experience: May 2012
1  Thank Carlos O
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Me and my fiance started the basics course after finishing up a few scuba courses on the island. It amazed us both as to what we we're capable of in just 2 days! Even though we heard of similar stories from other people that have done the course it still surprised us. Tex (the instructor) played a special part getting us both relaxed and at ease throughout the course by explaining everything really well so there would be no surprises. Before the course I was really curious as I've always associated free diving as something pirates did to look for treasure from sunken ships along the sea floor. Well I was well off! But free diving in the Caribbean Sea to a 30m ship wreck can't help but put a little wight to my past perspective ; )

Date of experience: September 2012
1  Thank View_out_the_window
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Tex is a fantastic teacher... so relaxed, patient and wise. It was fascinating to learn about our internal 'equipment' and how and why free diving is an exciting and safe activity/sport. I wish I'd had more time so I could do the advanced course too! Next time...

Date of experience: September 2012