Review Highlights
Great trip- will be back!

Amazing! I spent a week at Freedive Utila to do some fun training dives after finishing my... read more

Reviewed May 29, 2024
Carlyn Z
Seattle, Washington
They helped me break through my mental barriers

I can definitely recommend this amazing free dive school, family, home away from home! I booked... read more

Reviewed May 17, 2024
Jess M

All reviews free diving hold your breath human body snorkel session scuba tanks dive deeper safety aspects advanced courses perfect environment learning curve fellow students safe environment six days learn how underwater world big thanks tex
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Wow! We saw a sign for Apnea Total Utila and decided it was worth a try. It's not until you learn about the science behind this sport that you realise how these amazing feats are possible. More importantly you realise that with the right training it's possible for most people. Tex and Lisa are two of the best teachers/instructors we've ever worked with in any sport, discipline or subject. Their approach, patience, knowledge and ability to help you discover the best in yourself make this an experience everyone should try. Rarely do we walk away with the feeling that something is worth every penny but Apnea Total Utila made us feel this way. Can't praise it enough.

Date of experience: January 2013
1  Thank Fiona K
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I decided to try freediving whist on Utila I'd never heard of it before. Mark Rogers better know as "Tex" from Apnea Total Freediving was my teacher. The class room stuff was interesting, very informative and prepared me well for the practical side of the sport. In the water he was amazing calm, gave tips on techniques and troubleshooting and gave me the confidence to achieve what I thought was impossible! I enjoyed it so much I decided to do the Apnea Total Advance course which I can highly recommend. The advance course offered more techniques for deeper dives, exhale dives & static apena. Tex helped me to achieve a static apena breath hold of 4:35 minutes using some magic jedi tricks! He's a great teacher both in the class room and in the water and has the amazing ability to help you reach your full potential. I also opportunity to receive some freediving teaching from Teo who has a great amount of enthusiasm & passion for the sport which shines through in he's teaching style. He offered many helpful tips and showed me some wonderful warm up breathing exercises. On top of that I had the pleasure and added bonus of receiving some teaching from Lisa Starchild another amazing member of the Apnea Total team. Her gentle and very chilled approach helped me to feel way more relaxed in the water. A little bird told me she has some freediving records in her country. A BIG BIG thank you to Tex, Teo & Lisa for an amazing and very memorable experience. I would highly recommend this course to anybody it's fun, empowering and great value for money!!!

Date of experience: December 2012
3  Thank rackstar
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a really fun and safe way to explore the depths around Utila. As a 40-year old Mr Mom with my more sporty days behind me, I was a bit intimidated about engaging in what I thought was an extreme sport. However, I found a patient instructor in Tex, who seems to focus more on knowledge and meditative techniques to get his students to the bottom. He got me down to 37 meters, and I found a new favorite sport.

Date of experience: August 2012
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Learning free diving with Apnea Total Utila was amazing. Tex is an amazing instructor in the classroom and in the water. I was so surprised at how fast I learned and how deep I got after just a 2 day class, great instruction. Felt really safe, never felt like I was in danger and Tex and everyone is very good at making sure you are safe and you never put your self in danger. The shop that Apnea works out of is great Ecomarine. Good atmosphere and beautiful views. If your in Utila and you ever though about freediving you definitely have to go to Apnea Total Utila!

Date of experience: August 2012
1  Thank Sdoyle88
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I came to Utila to get my PADI open water certification earlier this year. Finished the course, but was not convinced scuba was for me, felt like I was on a guided tour with many restrictions and little physical challenge...

A couple of days after my PADI course I met Teo and Mark from Apnea Total Freediving and they changed they way I experience the ocean forever!

I did the 2 day Freediver course with Teo. It was a combination of theory in the morning with practical application of the morning lessons in the afternoon. After following Teo's instructions I was able to freedive to 18m on day one and 25m on day two of the course.

I didn't think that it was possible to learn so much in two days, but Teo's teaching methods were excellent! He was very patient and explained all techniques and safety exercises very clearly. Being a great freediver himself inspires confidence in what he is teaching and made me feel like I could test my limits in a safe way.

I am currently traveling in South East Asia and am freediving almost everyday. Thanks to what I learned with Apnea Total Freediving, I have been able to freedive some amazing sites normally accessible only to scuba divers. Only at a fraction of the price, since I no longer need scuba gear...

Next week I am going to complete my Advanced Freediver course. Needless to say, I haven't felt the need to scuba dive since I did the Apnea Total Freediver Course.

Thank you Teo and Mark!