Review Highlights
Great trip- will be back!

Amazing! I spent a week at Freedive Utila to do some fun training dives after finishing my... read more

Reviewed May 29, 2024
Carlyn Z
Seattle, Washington
They helped me break through my mental barriers

I can definitely recommend this amazing free dive school, family, home away from home! I booked... read more

Reviewed May 17, 2024
Jess M

All reviews free diving hold your breath human body snorkel session scuba tanks dive deeper safety aspects advanced courses perfect environment learning curve fellow students safe environment six days learn how underwater world big thanks tex
Selected filters
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My friends an I got in touch with Tex to book in a 5 day freedive course starting May 25th 2013. He was supposed to be heading to Roatan for a competition but stayed back to give us the course. He is that passionate about introducing people to freediving. The progress from everyone was remarkable. Everyone dove about 8m deeper ever consecutive dive all reaching about 30-35m on the 5th day. We all got over 3:30 minute static (holding your breathe in the pool) with some of us getting 5:01 minutes. From never really freediving in in my life to achieving these kinds of results, it was a pretty amazing feeling. The results speak for themselves. Tex is an amazing instructor who will bring the best out of you without pushing you. There is a 2 day course that costs about US$240 and the 5 day course cost about US$400. Worth every penny. Highly recommended

Date of experience: May 2013
2  Thank TravelFroth
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've been spear fishing for many many years and cant rate this course highly enough.

Learning the correct techniques is so important as a freediver!

When I did the course I was suffering from a horrible ear infection and couldn't equalise at all. The instructor was super patient with me and I still learnt more in 3 days of freediving with apnea total about dive sciences than I did on my Divemaster scuba course. These guys know their stuff!

Date of experience: July 2013
1  Thank Simon i
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Utila is a boring place if you don't scuba dive. The beginner freediving course is the most interesting activity in Utila. Tex is a good teacher and a nice guy.

The beginner course is for everyone. The only prerequisites are being able to swim and being able to equalize a pressure in your ears. If you scuba you will be fine. All course participantes that didn't have problem equalizing were able to dive to 25 meters.

Safety is Tex's priority; thus you don't have to worry it is safe!

All equipment is provided.

Apnea Total offers the cheapest freediving course on the planet. In the US you will have to pay twice as much and you have to bring your own equipment. It is 169 for 2 days course.

I would also recommend to take an optional static apnea 1 day course, which costs 60. You will learn that anyone without any prior training can hold their breath for at least 2 min and the majority of people can hold it for over 3 min.

Date of experience: June 2013
1  Thank zzz z
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been regretting the fact that I ran out of time last year while on the island of Utila, Honduras to take the Advanced Freediving course from Mark (Tex) of Apnea Total. Everybody that I talked to about he teaching raved about he teaching style and how much they learned about being safe and going deeper for longer periods of time on a single breath hold. I am an avid freediver, spearfisherman and underwater photographer and I needed to better understand what I was doing so that I could better enjoy my favorite sport and stay safe. Tex helped me get to 100 ft at the same location that I did my "deep dive" SCUBA instruction last year only this time I went there without tanks. He also helped me understand better how my body works and to interpret body changes as information signals and not associate these signals with a panic to breathe. This was able to help me take my static breath hold from 3 minutes to 4min 20 sec. I am VERY pleased. It was also very assuring to know that Tex has never had an incident himself so that allowed me to trust him even more. I highly recommend this course (beginner, advanced or master) to anyone who loves the water and wants to enjoy it without a tank to the fullest!

Here is a video link of my 100ft dive. I have an integrated video camera on my mask.

Date of experience: June 2013
2  Thank TheFishin6
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Me and two friends did the intro and advanced course. Its crazy what you can learn to do in such a short time with an instructor such as Tex. 2 of us got to 35m and 5 minute breath holds, and the other 30m and 3.48 minute breath hold. Diving the haliburt wreck was a highlight. I would highly recommend doing these courses if your keen on spending time under the ocean and learning about what your body is capable of. Cheers Tex. Oh and kays pepper snack next to the dive center has wicked carrabiean meals that are cheap as chips and fill you up after a good day free diving!

Date of experience: May 2013