“World Class Instructors helped me go deep!”

Freedive Utila - Apnea Total Freediving School
Ranked #2 of 18 Tours in Utila
More attraction details
Owner description: Freedive Utila, Central America's Freediving Headquarters, is the place to learn how to hold your breath and go deeper than you ever thought. Now in our new location and offering Instructor training courses.
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I came to Utila for a free dive course after having completed a beginner course in Bali. In Bali I was able to reach 12m, but hadn't achieved my goal which was 20m. My experience with Apnea Total blew my mind - on my last day of diving I reached 37m or 120 feet! I never imagined I could go so deep, and there's no doubt in my mind that it had to do with the quality of the instructors. Tex not only gives excellent technique instruction, but he also pays very close attention to what his students are experiencing. He always seemed to say the right things to calm my fears and help me feel confident and safe on my dives. I came to Utila just to take this course, and got everything I was hoping for and more. Thanks, Tex!

1  Thank SFlisalady
"lots of fun"
"fun dives"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This place was recommended by someone i met in Bolivia. And my swiss friend wasnt wrong. Tex and David are both passionate about the sport and have a wealth of information to give. I took the first course and the advanced and enjoyed them so much I am doing the master course now.

1  Thank jamtubes
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I lived on Utila for a year and freediving with Tex at Apnea Total was by far the highlight of my time there. Before I started taking the courses diving down a few meters felt scary and stressful. After just a couple of days of teaching on the beginner course that changed completely. From there on I was hooked and I left the island as a Free Master. To anyone visiting Utila there is nothing I could recommend more than giving freediving a shot. The quality of the teaching is second to none. Everyone else who took a course whilst I was there was shocked with what they achieved in such a short space of time, and nobody ever regrets taking a course. The skills you learn will stay with you for the rest of your life.

3  Thank JonFane
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My friends an I got in touch with Tex to book in a 5 day freedive course starting May 25th 2013. He was supposed to be heading to Roatan for a competition but stayed back to give us the course. He is that passionate about introducing people to freediving. The progress from everyone was remarkable. Everyone dove about 8m deeper ever consecutive dive all reaching about 30-35m on the 5th day. We all got over 3:30 minute static (holding your breathe in the pool) with some of us getting 5:01 minutes. From never really freediving in in my life to achieving these kinds of results, it was a pretty amazing feeling. The results speak for themselves. Tex is an amazing instructor who will bring the best out of you without pushing you. There is a 2 day course that costs about US$240 and the 5 day course cost about US$400. Worth every penny. Highly recommended

2  Thank TravelFroth
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I've been spear fishing for many many years and cant rate this course highly enough.

Learning the correct techniques is so important as a freediver!

When I did the course I was suffering from a horrible ear infection and couldn't equalise at all. The instructor was super patient with me and I still learnt more in 3 days of freediving with apnea total about dive sciences than I did on my Divemaster scuba course. These guys know their stuff!

1  Thank Simon_Ilett