Review Highlights
Perfect place to hone your skills

Before I decided to attend Freedive Utila I searched a few different options for schools with... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Mike W
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
Great Freediving

We did our freediving beginner and advanced courses with Freedive Utila. Our instructor Zack did a... read more

Reviewed August 6, 2018
972boriss
Düsseldorf, Deutschland
via mobile

All reviews free diving static breath advanced courses these guys life changing experience amazing experience great environment feel comfortable underwater world fun dives tex depth body wreck marie scuba pb
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This place was recommended by someone i met in Bolivia. And my swiss friend wasnt wrong. Tex and David are both passionate about the sport and have a wealth of information to give. I took the first course and the advanced and enjoyed them so much I am doing the master course now.

1  Thank jamtubes
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I lived on Utila for a year and freediving with Tex at Apnea Total was by far the highlight of my time there. Before I started taking the courses diving down a few meters felt scary and stressful. After just a couple of days of teaching on the beginner course that changed completely. From there on I was hooked and I left the island as a Free Master. To anyone visiting Utila there is nothing I could recommend more than giving freediving a shot. The quality of the teaching is second to none. Everyone else who took a course whilst I was there was shocked with what they achieved in such a short space of time, and nobody ever regrets taking a course. The skills you learn will stay with you for the rest of your life.

3  Thank JonFane
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My friends an I got in touch with Tex to book in a 5 day freedive course starting May 25th 2013. He was supposed to be heading to Roatan for a competition but stayed back to give us the course. He is that passionate about introducing people to freediving. The progress from everyone was remarkable. Everyone dove about 8m deeper ever consecutive dive all reaching about 30-35m on the 5th day. We all got over 3:30 minute static (holding your breathe in the pool) with some of us getting 5:01 minutes. From never really freediving in in my life to achieving these kinds of results, it was a pretty amazing feeling. The results speak for themselves. Tex is an amazing instructor who will bring the best out of you without pushing you. There is a 2 day course that costs about US$240 and the 5 day course cost about US$400. Worth every penny. Highly recommended

2  Thank TravelFroth
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've been spear fishing for many many years and cant rate this course highly enough.

Learning the correct techniques is so important as a freediver!

When I did the course I was suffering from a horrible ear infection and couldn't equalise at all. The instructor was super patient with me and I still learnt more in 3 days of freediving with apnea total about dive sciences than I did on my Divemaster scuba course. These guys know their stuff!

1  Thank Simon_Ilett
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Utila is a boring place if you don't scuba dive. The beginner freediving course is the most interesting activity in Utila. Tex is a good teacher and a nice guy.

The beginner course is for everyone. The only prerequisites are being able to swim and being able to equalize a pressure in your ears. If you scuba you will be fine. All course participantes that didn't have problem equalizing were able to dive to 25 meters.

Safety is Tex's priority; thus you don't have to worry it is safe!

All equipment is provided.

Apnea Total offers the cheapest freediving course on the planet. In the US you will have to pay twice as much and you have to bring your own equipment. It is 169 for 2 days course.

I would also recommend to take an optional static apnea 1 day course, which costs 60. You will learn that anyone without any prior training can hold their breath for at least 2 min and the majority of people can hold it for over 3 min.

1  Thank zzz z