Review Highlights
They helped me break through my mental barriers

Reviewed May 17, 2024
Jess M
The Best Freediving Experience I've Ever Had

Reviewed April 26, 2024
Cameron P

All reviews free diving hold your breath human body snorkel session scuba tanks dive deeper safety aspects advanced courses perfect environment learning curve fellow students safe environment six days learn how underwater world big thanks tex
Selected filters
Reviewed May 17, 2024

I can definitely recommend this amazing free dive school, family, home away from home! I booked some training dives in the hope to reach the criteria for my wave one I had previously completed. Not only did they help me reach my goal of 12m but keep smashing a new goal getting to 19m. Each instructor gave me great advice, lots of patience and helped to make me feel safe in the water and break through my mental barriers. My technique and depth improved, but after my time here I felt so much more confident and relaxed in the water. I stayed for double the time I had planned on. It’s a super comfortable guest house to live in. The owners are soooo generous and will look after you well! I cannot thank each and every instructor enough- you guys are amazing!! And on top of that there is a (transient) resident sea horse! And an octopus that comes to visit at the dock. What a time!

Date of experience: May 2024
Reviewed April 26, 2024

This is the third time I've taken a beginner freediving course, and far and away the best of them. The instructors are incredibly knowledgable and actually very good teachers as opposed to simply being talented freedivers themselves (which they absolutely are). They take each student as an individual and consider the strengths and weaknesses of into consideration and personally craft their advice and recommendations to account for them. I felt encouraged and supported throughout my courses and never compared to any other students' successes or challenges, and there was never a moment that I felt unsafe or in danger. Additionally, the community at the school made the experience as much fun outside of the water as in it. I cannot recommend them highly enough if you're considering beginning or continuing your freediving journey.

Date of experience: April 2024
Reviewed April 19, 2024

I enjoyed the passion and professionalism on the part of the teachers. This enabled me to enter the water with complete confidence although I had zero experience. Their Beginner level course is thoughtful and comprehensive. Over several days I was guided through many personal hurdles, was encouraged to set my own goals and to test myself in multiple disciplines. While safety and professionalism were taken seriously, everyone seemed driven by the simple joy of the sport. I ended every day with a smile on my face.
I definitely recommend choosing the Beginner+ course, as the 3-day option felt barely enough to dip my toes in.

Date of experience: April 2024
Reviewed February 16, 2024 via mobile

I’ve just completed a beginner course in free diving with Freedive Utila. If you’re reading this review, you will most likely have some knowledge and/or experience of free diving so I’ll focus on why, in my opinion, you should choose to train with the excellent Freedive Utila.
It’s the only centre on the island that offers only free diving training. It doesn’t offer scuba diving which gives it a different feel and focuses 100% on freediving.
I had no intention of completing a freediving course and was just going to chill while my partner did it, however, after having a chat with Hugo (lead instructor) I was intrigued by the focus on meditation and mindfulness. He suggested I sit in on the first afternoon to see what it was about. I was intrigued and ended the week as having successfully completing the beginners + course.
Throughout the course, there is a really supportive and friendly approach from the whole team. They make sure that you feel comfortable, confident and safe in the water. The training helps you feel in control as well as ensuring you have all the knowledge and skills to dive safely and successfully. You are also taught and helped to develop a range of techniques to manage anxiety and use as a toolset that can impact everyday life. If you encounter difficulties (a lot of us had equalisation issues) the trainers work hard to find alternative strategies to aid your success.
I would also recommend staying in the centre’s lovely accommodation and taking a package with additional training dives. We stayed for 7 nights as part of the beginners + package and it really added to our enjoyment. We did the 2 and a half day course but it also gave us 3 training dives which were a brilliant opportunity to further develop our skills under the guidance of Chris, Ninja and Hugo, who are constantly offering support, advice and encouragement.

Staying at the centre felt like being part of a lovely community. Living with your fellow freedivers allows you to share your experiences and everyone was amazing. There was a real international mix of ages and genders and the memories I have both in and out the water are unforgettable!
I hope this helps you make your choice - I would choose them again and again to continue my free diving journey. An amazing place and incredible people. Thank you.

Date of experience: February 2024
Reviewed September 16, 2023

I cannot speak highly enough of Freedive Utila. I came after completing my beginner a year ago and wanting to refresh my skills and gain more confidence in the water. The team managed to balance my needs perfectly, I took a fun dive and two training sessions and fine tuned some skills alongside seeing the reef and local wreck. Lovely welcoming group of people, comfortable accommodation. A great few days.

Date of experience: September 2023