All reviews full kitchen pots and pans small kitchen huge room king suite the ice maker nice hotel in town fitness center rooms are spacious nice stay other hotels football weekend pantry refrigerator accommodations pet
Reviewed April 1, 2017 via mobile

31Mar-1Apr17

First let me say, I've stay in Candlewood Suites in Little Rock, AR in Oct16 for a job conference and it was very nice. I assumed that I'd get the same at this location.

The front staff were very nice during check-in. The minute I got off the elevator I realized this was obviously a pet friendly hotel because it smelled like dog pee!! Apparently someone else complained because housekeeping was trying to clean the carpet late in the evening. There was a chicken bone on the floor in between the bed and the nightstand. ALL of the door handles were sticky. Facets were dirty. Looked like blood, but maybe it was rust on door frame. I don't think that room was really cleaned. Bedding looked clean, but... Elevator button looked like it had BBQ sauce on it. Stayed there 2 nights and the hallway still smelled like dog pee. There were several events in the area so hotels were booked or the prices were very high. I needed to stay in the area an additional night, but I checked out and paid extra to go somewhere else (almost an hour away). I will be the the area again next year, but I will never stay there again!!

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2017

Dear csimmer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We would like to apologize for not living up to your expectations regarding our hotel cleanliness. Reviews like yours are very valuable as they enable us to target areas we need to improve on. Rest assured your feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate departments to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. In addition, we have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay.

Joel A
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed February 21, 2017

This hotel was such nicer than I expected for the price. It was very quiet, the ceilings are high (at least ten feet), the room was large and it was clean. The staff were nice. I would definitely stay here again.

Room tip: I stayed on the back side and didn't hear anything (people or cars).
Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Hotel_Staff156, Hotel Staff at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2017

Thank you for your 5 star review! We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you when you are back in town!

Reviewed October 27, 2016

My wife's classic Harley ate it's charging system, so, we were going to be in town for the night while it was repaired. The local Harley Davidson dealership sits between the hotel and the road, so the location couldn't be any more convenient..

The Harley chop has a special price deal with the hotel; unfortunately, it was homecoming weekend for the Bulldogs and prices were HUGE. It was that way everywhere.

The room was very nice, comfy and spacious, the hotel staff were wonderful to help us in any way we needed and I don't know what the other folks had problems about, but it served us well.

There is no continental breakfast, but the is a Sonic Burger within walking distance.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sharla M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2016

Thank you for staying with us and your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and was able to get your bike fixed. We hope that you can come back just to relax.
Again, Thank you

Reviewed September 16, 2016

The Good:
* Front desk staff are nice. My evening check-in crew were exceptional, friendly and efficient.
* Property is tucked away on a side street in a quiet location.
* Ample parking
* Crazy good water pressure in the room (at least the in 220)
* The nearby Waffle House (turn left onto US-78 off of Classic Rd. go about 2 miles or so) is excellent! It's worn for wear but the food and service are tops!

The Bad:
* If you're like me and need total darkness to sleep, you're in trouble. The blackout curtains aren't so effective, EVERYTHING in the room is a crazy source of light. The room I stayed in was a studio format, so the microwave was near the foot of the bed and its display cast a green spotlight over the bed. The clock radio has a blue display (the brightest perceived color in the spectrum) and cannot be fully dimmed, so unless you unplug it, there's not much getting away from it. The AC unit's control door was missing and the LEDs on the control panel light up the room like it was Las Vegas. And the door, while it does have a light wipe on the bottom, it was so old, worn and ineffective that it allowed lots of light to come in from under the door.
* This place is a little worn for wear, likely due to volume of traffic thanks to nearby military installments. It's clean but shows some 'patina.'
* The room adjacent to me had a dog in it that barked at every noise around and apparently the dog's owner was rarely present to calm it.
* The late night crew are also reasonably nice and accommodating while not necessarily being dressed or acting quite as professional. To be expected in a small town during the graveyard shift, I imagine. Certainly didn't bother me; just caught my attention. It's likely that those who would be offended by such are probably not booking themselves into a Candlewood anyway.
* Making a left turn onto US-78 off Classic Rd (on which the property is located) in the morning can be a little hairy and you'll likely sit for a bit waiting for an opening. That's not the property's fault/issue but I thought I'd warn you so you can plan appropriately.

The Ugly:
* This was the second Candlewood I stayed in over two nights in two different cities. In my prior property as well, I noticed this but it wasn't nearly as bad... There was either an air freshener somewhere in the room that I could not find (I found the one on my previous night and contained it) or maybe they use a fire hose here to distribute some kind of cleaning chemical in the rooms. The odor from whatever it is was so strong that immediately upon entering the room, my eyes were watering, sinuses filling/shutting down, and it was actually hard to breathe. This is VERY bad for someone with acute allergies, asthma, or COPD. Fortunately for me, I'm just in the allergy category.
Literally, I could taste it as if I'd ripped the lid off one of those old school gelatinous Air Wick things and just bit off a mouthful of the gel.
I thought about calling the front desk to get moved but decided to wait it out and see if my body/system would get 'used to it' like we humans often do over time with smells. Plus it was pretty late and I'd already unpacked. Over an hour later, I'm still gagging - the intensity never let up, convincing me that it's some form of active air freshener placed in the room.
I still didn't call for a move as I figured they probably did this in all the rooms (that's my bad - maybe a different room would have been better.) I went out for dinner (which never happened because apparently Athens ceases to exist after 10 or 11pm - Not even Taco Bell's drive thru is open after 11!!) and when I came back, what little 'getting used to it' I had done was gone and the whole process started over and it was close to midnight at this point.
I wished I had moved rooms to see if it was just this particular room that was so bad the next morning, as even my clothes that had hung in the open closet (an attempt to block the light from the main door) smelled like air freshener. Air Wick was my cologne for the day - which due to my allergies, I don't normally wear any. It lingered for hours on me throughout the day...

If the property reads this - PLEASE dial WAY back on whatever you are using to attempt to make the rooms smell 'clean' or 'fresh'. I understand that you're pet friendly and have folks who disrespect the no-smoking rule but this is a drastic over-correction and honestly, I'd rather have the smell of dog or even stale smoke than being subjected to chemical warfare. I like your place but honestly don't think I could stay there again if subjected to this issue.

And please replace the control lid on the AC unit in room 220.

Room tip: Avoid room 220 if you like to breathe and/or need darkness to sleep
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank chuck h
Sharla M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2016

Thank you for staying with us and your feedback. I greatly appreciate your comments, so that they can be looked at and evaluated. The only way anyone can get better is with feedback from the customers. Again, thank you for staying and your honest feedback.

Reviewed July 29, 2016 via mobile

This hotel has a lot going for it. It's pretty clean, staff is generally nice, rooms are large with a great shower, tv is actually hi def and its pet friendly with very nice lighted pet walk area. However the hotel has no ice makers because the rooms have full size fridges with an "ice maker". First day no ice, second day 2 cubes third day 6 cubes. I reported it to a different desk person each day to no avail. 8 cubes in 3 days is not an ice maker. This is a minor issue for us because we travel with lots of cooler capacity. But I don't like the customer service on this issue. It could have been something serious and it was basically ignored. So we most likely will not stay here again

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank BillB779
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2016

Dear Bill B,

Thank you for choosing us and for sharing your experience. I am very delighted that you found our property clean and the rooms large. However, I understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory due to the ice maker and the level of service you received. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have noted your comments and have forwarded them to our hotel management for the identified issues to be addressed accordingly.

We hope we have a chance to host you again in the future.

Best Regards,