“very well-done in all respects”

Hilton Garden Inn Athens Downtown
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Athens
Austin, Texas
“very well-done in all respects”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed here for a family member's graduation. The premises were very well-kept and the location is superb, right downtown and a short walk to campus, restaurants, and other attractions.

I recommend this hotel for a convenient and comfortable stay in Athens, and particularly recommend the hot tub, fitness room, and on higher floors, beautiful view of the city and distant hills.

Room Tip: We were on the top (8th) floor and had a great view
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Georgia
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We booked a room for an outrageous gouging 305/night for two nights during a game weekend. It turns out that the week before we called to cancel the second night which we had prepaid in advance. Our confirmation email gave a 1800 # to call should we have to change this advance purchase reservation. It said we could get a credit less a $25 fee if we rebooked another Hilton property. The 1800 number attendant said they have not heard of this rate and that the hotel was the only one that could change our reservation. I was directed to Patrick the hotel resevation manager who led be to believe he was the one to talk to. Then he said he would have his manager call me and she never did. The hotel had plenty of rooms available. They were not sold out. They had nothing to lose by working with us. Yet, they refused. There is something wrong going on at this hotel. I will never stay at Hilton because the national # rep. has no control over the price gouging and management here.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank TaylorwestGeorgia
Athens, GA
Reviewed 8 November 2011

If you want to be in the center of it all Hilton Garden is the place for you. You are just steps away from great dining, world famous music venues, shopping, UGA and the Classic Center. Very clean, modern rooms, great hotel amenities and a friendly staff make for a great stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bowenb3
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The selling point for this hotel is its location - I went to UGA and like to visit regularly to get my fill of Athens, and you can't argue with this perfect location right in the middle of downtown, only 2 blocks from North Campus. It is a brand new HGI, which means it is clean, large and comfortable, with all of the standard amenities, and no free meals offered. The restaurant offers high-priced standard meals, so skip this and eat in downtown Athens, where there are MANY decently-priced great restaurants (it's a student town, after all). 5-Star Day Cafe (walkable) and Mama's Boy (driveable) in particular offer incredible breakfasts. Yes, you have to pay to park. This is the only reason the hotel gets 4 stars instead of 5- because other downtown hotels offer free parking (though they are a little further out). No, there is no mini-bar for the reviewer from Australia - the Hilton Garden Inn brand is not where you'll find that. Besides - you're in downtown Athens, with more bars per capita than any other town in the whole USA, and they always have cheap drinks and great specials (again...student town). If you're in Athens, don't sit in your hotel room and drink, walk 2 feet away from the hotel and give any one of the myriad restaurants/bars a try. In sum, the location is perfect, the parking is $10/night, the food/drinks should be found elsewhere in downtown where it is plentiful, cheap and fantastic, and this is a wonderful hotel room for exploring Athens and UGA. I stay here every time I'm in Athens (if it isn't full - if you into this, may I suggest the Foundry Park Inn down the street). Go Dawgs.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you're there on a weekend during school terms - might be a bit loud by...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The staff we encountered this weekend was so nice and very helpful. We had breakfast in the hotel twice and would give it high marks for options (including made to order eggs, omelets, etc). The rooms were clean and the beds are amazing. We had drinks in the bar and the bartender was very attentive and fun. My only complaint (and I have this in just about every hotel room) is there is TOO MUCH AMBIENT LIGHT. The clock, the temp gauge, the microwave, tv, light switches all have little lights that glow all night. It is too much light for a good night sleep. I'm going to start traveling with black electrical tape to cover all these lights! I would recommend this hotel and stay there again. You have to pay $10/night to park - I consider this a junk fee and would like to see it eliminated or added to room price so you know what you are paying when comparison shopping.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I have stayed at this property once before. It is a nice property, a very good standard HGI. They have business center, workout room, pool etc. The do have an onsite restaurant that seems only busy at breakfast. Where this property falls short is on value and they charge you $10 a day to park. There is no free parking in downtown Athens so I guess they feel entitled. The room rate and parking drag this property down to a average stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Jonathan F
Bonaire, Georgia
Reviewed 28 October 2011

The staff here is so rude. I stayed here eariler this week. I am a HH Diamond member. I have never been treated like this at any other Hilton property.

I have stayed at the hotel several times. This is the first time I have had a problem. The staff looked and acted if they were new hires. They need to be trained.

When I checked in the front desk girl some how ran my card several times. My credit card company called to say that seemed to be some strange charges in my card. My credit card company declined the charges because the card had been run so many times. I talked with my credit card company and they took care of it. I went down to the front desk to tell them I had talked to my credit card company and I accepted the charges for my room only. They people at the front desk kept saying your card is declined. One of the girls finally looked at my account and saw the room had been paid for. She was also the person that said the person who checked me in was the person that ran the card multiple times.

I was treated like someone who was trying to skip out on my bill. I will not stay here again!!!!

The beds are terrible. I could not sleep well at all.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business