All reviews courtyard by marriott standard courtyard stayed here college town first floor outdoor pool rooms are clean an upgrade would stay here again comfortable bed uga campus downtown motel housekeeper treadmill georgia rates
Reviewed May 27, 2018

We’ve been staying at this motel several times a year for a decade. It’s always been a decent & well located place to stay but now has been fully renovated and is better yet. Still located steps from downtown the rooms a newly refurnished & decorated as is the outdoor pool and lobby. The Starbucks in the lobby now offers both a limited breakfast & dinner (not included in the rack rate) and the staff is as accommodating as ever.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jim L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2018

Thank you so much for the kind words on behalf of our staff! We are so thankful that you continue to stay with us year after year and are so happy you have been able to watch our hotel grow and transform over the years. We know you have a choice and we thank you again for always choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed May 21, 2018

It's a solid and clean hotel for the area. I'm sure it's not worth the price during UGA graduation, but when I visited on business in January, it was exactly what I expected. The staff was very friendly.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Jim L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2018

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Athens! We have recently completed the renovations to our hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back the next time travels bring you back.

Reviewed May 21, 2018

I wish I had read reviews before booking the property. The outside in no way looks like it belongs in the Marriott brand. It's a vinyl sided behemoth with outside doors on some first floor rooms and a strange layout. There one elevator so plan an extra 5 minutes to wind your way to the lobby each morning through creepy small hallways. Yes they are doing a renovation... lipstick on a pig comes to mind. Although my room had sleek lighting and new furniture, I couldn't help but notice quite a few hairs on the bathroom counter, floor and shower. But I overlooked all of this and crawled into bed at 10pm. It is unbelieveable how much hair was in the bedsheets. I picked them out with a tissue, at least 15 of them, then I quit looking and called guest services. I didn't want to change rooms so late but wanted to record the complaint. As I write this, I can't believe I actually stayed the night. What a sleepless night. Has me looking into the "sleep sacks" for travel. She said she'd report this to executive housekeeping in the morning. Then called back to say she'd have housekeeping change my sheets in the morning and offered me free breakfast. The next day I a got a nice note of apology from Linda stating that she was training housekeepers. Clearly (thankfully) they had changed the sheets but still two prominent hairs on the pillow and new hairs on the bathroom sink! Geez. This truly makes me question if I want to continue with the Marriott brand. In no way can I recommend this hotel at any price.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank kittybob
Jim L, Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2018

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are sorry our housekeeping team fell short on providing the highest quality to you. Our hotel is very unique in its design, we apologize for the long walk to the elevator.

We truly appreciate you staying with us and thank you again for providing your feedback.

Reviewed May 7, 2018

Reserved 3 rooms 4 months in advance to attend my son's graduation at UGA. Price was over $325 per night, which was way too much. What was worse though is as a wheelchair user, had booked a ADA compliant room with a roll-in shower. Initial room did not have one and initially the person at the desk said one was not available due to their recent remodel. Luckily there was one room with a roll-in shower, which was extremely small [smaller than both of our able-bodied rooms]. While we made it work, the 2-night stay was extremely stressful.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Susan J
Jim L, Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Congratulations on your son's graduation.

Reviewed May 6, 2018 via mobile

I came here last week with some friends for a concert; and got to stay under Marriot employee rates. Had a little trouble at checkin, but that was a mistake on my end. Luckily, Jim and Dominique were super helpful and patient while we got situated. Very refreshing to interact with them after a 3 hour drive. Working in a hotel makes you naturally want to inspect everything; and I couldn’t find a single thing wrong that was strictly a staff related problem. In fact, everything that could’ve been a downside was something out of anyone’s control so this hotel deserves a high rating regardless of or personal preferences. Was under some renovations, but had no affect on our stay, and wasn’t excessively loud. The rooms are smaller than we were hoping, but still were able to comfortably fit 4 people. Love the compact design of the furniture. Nothing seemed bulky or out of place, and the tv was wonderfly large. Location was perfect walking distance from everywhere we needed to go, and the pool looked nice, although we didn’t get a chance to take a dip. The lobby and lounge area is by far the best example of natural lighting at its finest. Everything was very open and easy to maneuver around. Gym was well lit and cool. I’m a little bit jealous of the Bistro here, because they offer more items than the location I work at. Overall, everything was up to date, working properly, and clean. It was a nice enough stay that we were upset to leave, and we’ve already made plans down the road to come back here so we can enjoy more of the hotel’s features, and all the local stores around it on a less time-restricted visit. Keep up the good work!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Jim L, General Manager at Courtyard Athens Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2018

I'm glad you enjoyed your time here at the hotel and in Athens! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Athens!