All reviews hi express cinnamon rolls room was clean pancake maker free breakfast nothing fancy downtown area an older hotel walking distance broad st uga campus would definitely stay here again staff was friendly great room pleasant stay football weekend classic center
Reviewed January 21, 2018 via mobile

We had to wait about 15 minutes to check in as the front desk person was away dealing with an issue. She was very nice and efficient but seemed a little overwhelmed with the lobby full of teenagers in town for a band event. She could have used some help. We have to agree with the many reviews that say clean but outdated....cracks in the walls, a plastic cover on the toilet tank, slow draining sink, high pitched whine in the shower, noisy room heater. We selected the room with two full beds because a larger bed was $10 more a night. That would have been ok if the bed had been comfortable, but it wasn’t. Breakfast was about what you would expect for a free hotel breakfast these days, and they have a nice, large lobby to eat in. Kudos to the staff that weekend keeping the food well stocked and the tables clean with all those students eating breakfast. All in all, this place was ok but just doesn’t fit the traditional quality of a Holiday Inn Express, and we didn’t feel it was worth how much we paid for it. It’s too bad the quality isn’t better because it is in a great location to enjoy downtown Athens. We would not select this hotel again.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Maxwell T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2018

Thank you for your candid review. We apologize that your recent stay did not meet expectations. We appreciate your comments and will share these with our team so that we can continue to improve our property. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, so that we can provide a better experience.

Reviewed December 19, 2017

I stayed here last weekend as a Chaperone for UGA's MidFest. For the uninitiated, this is the weekend that 1000 Middle School Band students from all over the state of GA descend on Athens for the weekend . God Bless any Hotelier who survives this weekend with all these kids in town! The place was packed and they seemed to be able to handle things with grace. They were patient when I needed extra keys made for a few absent-minded boys who lost their room keys. The breakfast was great. They were a notch above the usual free breakfast choices. The biscuits and gravy were good. The cinnamon rolls were amazing. The kids liked the pancake maker. I did not even try that contraption. The lines were long due to the amount of kids and adults in for MidFest, but they planned and had a "breakfast over flow room" so that we all had a place to sit and eat. We stayed that the Holiday Inn (not-express) last year and I preferred the Express. The rooms were okay, nothing fancy, but not gross. The rooms were kept clean by the housekeeping staff and bless them because I know one of our middle school boy rooms looked like a war zone after a day and a half. I felt safe while staying there. They prepared for the possibility of snow and freezing weather by salting the parking lots and exits. You know we don't get a lot of freezing weather down here and they were ready! The kindly backed up our check out time by an hour when I asked. There was a school bus about to be towed and they called to check to be sure it was not ours. It was thankfully, but I thought it was nice to give someone the heads up before they were stranded with a bunch of kids.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Maxwell T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2017

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We do see the challenges of large groups like Midfest but we enjoy getting prepared taking it head on. Taking care of all of our guest and their safety is our top priority. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We hope to see you again for Janfest or for the Annual GMEA Conference.

Reviewed December 13, 2017 via mobile

The hotel was clean and the staff were very accomodating. I booked "the wrong one" according to my daughter. Holiday Inn was closer to where we were going for a concert that night. They did offer to switch us without batting an eye. In the end, we just stayed there and took an uber.
Overall good but the bathroom was really small. That is why I gave it a 4.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Maxwell T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2017

I am very happy to hear that you had a good time. We are glad that we could accommodate you during your time here in the Classic City. Our staff takes great pride in that! We hope that the next show that you see in Athens will lead you back to the Holiday Inn Express.

Reviewed November 22, 2017

This makes my fourth stay in as many years at this property. I go to Athens each year at the same time for a conference and choose to stay here because of the breakfast, the value, and the proximity to the Classic Center. It is still an overall good hotel. The staff is always very friendly and rooms are clean. The problem with the "public housing" that some people wrote about has never bothered me, and I am a female traveling alone. I have always felt safe at this property. This year when I stayed, I did notice that the carpet, paint could use updating, and there was a musty smell in the hallways and the room.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Maxwell T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoy your visits to the Classic City with us. Our staff takes great pride in taking care of our guests. We understand and apologize for the inconvenience caused by the facility. We are currently working to make enhancements to deliver a more comfortable stay for all of our guests. We hope for the opportunity to make this up to you the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed November 13, 2017

Came to town for Ray LaMontagne concert. Easy check-in, though took far too long. Was directed to the elevator to get to our room on 4th floor. The elevator was far too small for a hotel of this size. Six adults got into the elevator, pushed floor 3, 4, 5 buttons and the elevator went down and then got stuck. We pushed the call button, reaching the front desk, and said we were stuck in the elevator. "OK, we'll send someone." We were on the elevator 20 minutes while maintenance was prying the door open. No hotel employee asked if we were ok, if there was any emergencies, and offered no apologies for the inconvenience. No phone calls were made to my room by the manager on duty to apologize either.
In my opinion, poorly managed location. As well, the hotel was in need of good repair as it was pretty banged up overall. That said, the room was clean, though aged. For the $ I paid, fair.
Will not stay here again.

Room tip: Super disjointed hotel layout. If you have alot of luggage, a total pain in the butt to get your stuff to your room.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Maxwell T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Athens, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2017

We want to start by apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay, as that is not up to our normal standards. We do thank you for your review and we will share your feedback with our staff and make the necessary changes. We hope you choose to stay with us again, so we can show you our true level of service.
Please feel free to contact me at maxwell.thigpen@hi-athens.com so I can provide additional assistance.